Help Required for Cooking.

Discussion in 'Indians in Eastern Province' started by Pras, May 30, 2008.

1. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I take this opportunity to request fellow Indusites to teach/instruct or tell me the recipes required to make simple Indian food at home. Let me assure you that am a complete novice at cooking.

Any items like

Dal,

Sambhar

Rasam

KOrma/Stew

Veggie

Pls help - I would be much grateful to you.....

Rgds
    Pras

2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Brother Prasad,

It is so easy and simple. Please, visit my sub - forum and you Drowningwith yummy home made recipes. Actually I started one web site for my sweet hushand when I went to India for my son four years back. I started putting our recipes in that for the use of my husband, my brother-in-law,my brother's wife and ofcours for my son. :ideaAfter coming to IL I saw many are struggling to cook and I started posting many tips and easy cooking method here too. So now my husband and son are cooking well than me.:banana In this same site my son started one thread also. I am giving the links here.Please just click the links and go through it. You will get an idea. Otherwise I am here to help you. You can ask me for any help regarding cooking. All the best.

I have one doubt are you going to cook or your wife is going to cook? I also gave some common advice in this thread. please go through each and every post to get full benefit of them.

Innovative bachelor cooking ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    [​IMG] kutekrish

Krishnaamma's Kitchen

Kitchen tips for newly married and settled abroad ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    [​IMG] krishnaamma

But one request please, give feeb backs without fail.

3. krishnaamma

Hi Prasad,

where are you? I gave a immediate reply. But cant see you... where are you? :coffeefor your reply.

4. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Hello ,

Thanks for the reply..

Sorry, I didnt log on for sometime....hence the late reply... I was busy settin up home essentials..

I have to say this.. I have miserably failed even in making Maggi....properly...

I am also getting confused on the ingredients...

I will try this weekend after checking your forum and then update you..

Where is the coffeee sister!!!

Rgds Prasad

5. krishnaamma

Hi Prasad,

Thank god you replied. :eek:mg: you cant cook even maggi? it is toooooooooo bad yaar. where is she? ............ your wife? .......... dont worry if you come regularly here I can make you a "Nala Maha Raja" in cooking. what do you say?

This is 'visual treat' here you can see hot coffee but cant drink it.:thumbsdown

Again wating :)coffee) for your reply. dont worry you can do it.:yes:

6. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Hello Sister,

Well yes.. I failed in that...coz instead of getting maggi noodles..I made it maggi soup :).My wife is still in India and hope she is here in two weeks.and am not sure if she can cook :)

Nala Maha Raja!!!! wow......thanks for the encouragement.sister. I hope I can pick up cooking...

Infact I tried to send a PM on cooking to you as it was very very embarassing to exhibit my ignorance to the entire world :) but I was disqualified for being a Jlite with less than 50 posts.. two failures in one day :) one at cooking and one here. at this site.:)
    infact a friend read my post and its suffice to say that he found some entertainment in Riyadh at my expense !!!!

A question for you , what are the preferred brands for buying milk products, pulses ( or is it cereals or both) etc that is available in Saudi ?

Thanks and Regards,
    Prasad

7. krishnaamma

Hi Prasad,

Here in Saudi all brands of milk products are good. If you consume milk very regularly, you can go for fresh milk. But you need to boil the milk like India. You can make curd of your own.

If you use less quantity, you can go for whole milk which can be kept in fridge after opening ( otherwise can be kept outside) for any purpose without boiling. But with this milk you can not make curd. you have to buy labon or yoghurt.

We normally use nada or almarai. ( low fat)

For pulses and cereals, you can get them in any super stores like Giant, Fahad supplies etc., But there is no specific brand. For rice we use Al Mudaf ( pakistani basmati) you can select as per your taste.
    Hope this helps.

first try to complete 50 posts so that you can PM me ok?

8. krishnaamma

9. Pras

Pras New IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for the information.

I am having some issues with my system,am not able to reach the URL given. I will get things right and visit the URLs and ask u for queries :)

I have started with stocking the fridge :) but .. Rice ...is something I am not sure. But I am looking for something which doesnt get soggy...kohinoor is what I was suggested...

I trust my Rice cooker do to a good job.

By the by,thanks for giving me some confidence.. I got somethings right...
    noodles...eggs...etc :)

33 embarassments more I need to bear here to PM....my god.. sisters are not kind as they used to be :)

Thanks a lot for the help rendered...so far..
    Rgds
    Prasad

10. krishnaamma

Hi prasad,:-D

good to see your post. dont worry. Why embarrassment. Now a days many girls are like this. All the parents in my days ask us to learn cooking, when we were in teen. But you see now a days they themselves ask girls to study. So from 9th standard to 12th ( which is the right time to learn cooking) the parents are doing all the jobs for the girls and ask them to just read and get good marks. Even after entering in B.E or degree these girls don’t want to learn cooking Rantand after marriage they are struggling.

That too if the migrate to other counties........... they are struggling for each and everything.

At least these girls must learn cooking after completing their studies, or at least after the 'engagement'. ( you can ask your wife to learn some recipes from her mother, so that she can come and cook good food for you. :hide:Just small suggestion)

Even for boys, when they want to work in abroad, I advice them to cook on their own. That too, if you are a vegetarian, it is a must to know cooking. no need to cook for a Marriage at least must know to manage the show. rite? ( this is my humble opinion:hide:)

That is why I started teaching cooking to Krish after his 12th exams. At that time I was suffering from my back pain and took almost 1 year bed rest. So he started cooking and also took care of me in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. so sweet of him. :kiss

That 3 months to 4 months gap before entering to the college is a 'boon' for these boys and girls to learn cooking. :confused2: But I dont know many girls dont like cooking. I wonder about that.

You know, Now <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place> can cook not only for him he can cook a meal for more than 10 people :yes:

When I logged in for the first time in this site I saw many young girls are asking so many questions about cooking so I started posting all my recipes and You know I started one thread as 'Kitchen tips for newly married and settled abroad'. So no need to get embarrassment.

Just go through it. you will get some idea about cooking and maintain kitchen.

Sorry very long post. :hide:

good that you are making maggi and egg. ( I am veg. so dont know about non-veg. itemsBig Laugh)

Regarding the links, I just gave my sub - forum link and my son <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>'s link. For that you can just go to the first page and you can see 'krishnaamma's kitchen' as a sub forum, click that and you can see all my threads there. Like that for <st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>'s thread, go to Misc. thread and you can see Innovative Bachelor cooking ok ya?

Just go through those threads and reply them. that is all you can complete 50 easily. do it in the weekend. Tell my enquiries to your wife. when she is coming to Saudi?

by the way, regarding rice selection you can buy little quantity first and check and choose according to your taste. No problem. Electrical rice cooker is the best one to cook rice and also veg.

kangaram yenduku? aanni saripothunthi. neenu unnanu ga? :-D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008