Finest Posts - August 2015 Nominations

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by Kamla, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

3 people like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear jayasala
    Thank you for your value addition. I was aware of this commentary on the Adi Sankara-Chandala encounter and there were other views too very similar to the one you have furnished. I just confined myself to the main content of this famous encounter considering the need for brevity in acknowledging nominations. Now that you have brought this out, I must thank you for it. In my opinion, it is not important if it was Lord Shiva who came as the Chandala to impart the ultimate lesson to Sankara. Sankara may have known that it was just a Chandala who stood before him but the profundity of his words made Sankara aware of the divinity of the Chandala's soul and he prostrated before him. Even now if we are saved from a great calamity by someone, don't we say that it was God Himself who came as our saviour? Sankara obviously saw Lord Shiva in the teacher in Chandala's form.
    Sri

2 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Dear kaniths
    Thanks a lot for your nomination of http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...ion/275198-what-gives-woman-her-identity.html by jskls.
    Jayasala and Viswa have given some valuable perspective to the subject. Women, by and large, put their heart and soul in whatever role they play without craving for an identity. Have we ever seen a mother craving for an identity in discharging her role as a mother? A professional woman may have a little bit of craving for identity but she generally limits it to the extent that she can apportion her time between her family and profession. There may be a few exceptions here.

Men are generally more identity oriented and they can become even a bit self-centred in the pursuance of their professional goals. They tend to suffer an identity crisis if things do not happen the way they want and in the process they may even develop a complex. Women, on the contrary, have an in-built capability to withstand identity problems.

Decades back, there was a great movie called Mother India starring the immortal Nargis. It was the story of a poor rural woman who had to face hurdle after hurdle throughout her life. She was even forced to shoot down an errant son of hers when he was becoming a menace to the society. None of this woman's actions was a result of her desire for identity but just a natural instinct. I often used to think how the title Mother India was appropriate in her case. Perhaps that was what she was throughout the film, a Mother. That was her identity.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

@Cheeniya Sir.. I... Donot agree with you...? :roll: May be I didn't understand your point correctly...? :roll: Isn't roles being confused here with identity? What defines my identity? Am not a mother yet, may be thats y I don't get it? :roll: Even then I don't seem to be convinced... Doesn't single women have any identity at all? How we like the society to look at us? I just lost the clarity & suddenly am confused.... :oops:

3 people like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would like to nominate this post by @DrKadambari
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/married-life/271671-update-thanks-_-i-have.html#post3554703

Dr. K came back and gave an update, and a summary of her experiences, and the good news that she has moved on. Very heartening to read such a progress update. It is simply so poignant, brave and caring when someone comes back and posts an update about years old threads. Also, Dr.K advises other posters based on her experience. Her posts are valuable coming as they do from personal experience. Couple of her recent posts helping others: post1, post2.

We need more uplifting posts like DrK's in the Relationship forum.
    Not only posts, I also like the member name: Kadambari. :)

6. Cheeniya

Dear kaniths
    I am sorry to have confused you. To tell you the truth, after reading this FB of yours, I am super confused! From confusion comes clarity provided someone like jayasala or Viswa comes to our rescue!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    The role 'mother' is the identity for a person.This does not mean that girls who are not mothers have no identity.A child, a student, a professional all have their own identities.Once a girl attains motherhood, she sets aside all her identities and prioritises her identity as a mother first and all her educational qualifications and attainments are given a back seat by herself.
    There are certain female doctors, gynocologists, who may not be mothers, but have identity of 'mother' by instinct.
    similarly there are certain child psychologists and kindergarten teachers who identify themselves as mothers/parents with the role they take.
    Identity, I think, is more concerned, with one's own perception in life rather than their role in family life.

Jayasala 42

4 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir & Kaniths,

I am giving below my humble opinion and what I have gathered as knowledge from another learned person.

Identity one gets is something that is associated with the perception of others around that person. Roles are closely coupled with identities. A woman could be known as mother for her child or even for a set of nuns who have renounced desires to serve Jesus Christ's mission. Mother Teressa for example. A woman could be a grandchild, child, sister, mother, grandmother, colleague or professional at the same time.

I happened to ask a question to a very learned person called Michael Goldstein, Chairman of the World Sathya Sai Organization when I attended a Pre-world conference in Orlando. I am giving below my question and his answer:

Viswa: How can I loose my identity as a person different from the Creator in order to become one with the Creator?

Michael Goldstein: Identity you get is the perception of everyone else other than you. It is not real. You are not one you think you are (It is the perception of your own mind - unreal), you are not one others think you are (It is a perception of others' mind - unreal), but you are a divine soul (real). Let others worry about your identity and you become totally incognizant of such identity. Recognition nor condemnation is for the actions performed by the body, mind and intellect ("BMI") which are transient. You are real and a witness to such actions unaffected by your identity.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    What a nice definition of identity! Perception by others about you!
    It is a fact.
    But it is very difficult to ignore what others think about us and get along with our own way, since it is the human ego that seeks identity.Though others may not value your identity,ego comes forward to create a new identity for oneself and spread it among others.The identity by which many people are known today ,is the one created by themselves.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.