1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

1200 kcal diet

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by lovechild, Jan 13, 2011.

1. lovechild

lovechild New IL'ite

I searched about this diet plan in IL and did not find much going on about it.

I'm one among those in mid-twenties trying to fit into wonderful trendy clothes...only probs...I weigh a 10-15 kg more and never fit into dresses I like :cry:

I've tried various diet plans....and with life away from home, partying every weekend, and working like there no tomorrow on weekdays...it becomes impossible to follow them. Some which I tried:
    1. GM diet : I strictly followed it for a week and lost 6 kgs in a week. God knows in no time...probably a week all was back...as if it always belonged to me:rant
    * I never overate...just the normal diet after the week.
    2. Rujuta's diet : Did not find scales moving considerably even after a month.
    3. The South beach diet : Again scales did not move.
    4. Low fat diet : No use either.

At the end, I just gave up on all of them.
    Recently, I watched the show Supersize Vs Super skinny (youtube has these episodes); and found that what people mostly count is the calories....be it any diet.
    Thanks to so many diet online websites; they offer you calorie counters and all necessary counters to know how much you should eat everyday to lose to your target weight....seemed interesting. Playfully, I calculated the calories for my one day meal and was shocked to see I eat no less than 1500 kcal and sometimes around 2000+ kcal. What I though was less was infact more.

A crazy idea struck....lemme eat whatever I like; but restrict it to a minimum need for a oerson 1200kcal per day. I've been following this for a week and I saw my scale move down 2 pounds!!
    My diet through the last week has included pizzas, fried chicken, puri as well...but just that I limited the quantity such that I do not exceed 1200Kcal at the end of the day.

I know many might not agree to this...eating PIZZZZZZAAAAA??....but there nothing wrong in giving it a try.

The only pain I feel in following other diet plans that is absent with my current style is: Whats a diet that makes us give up our native food habits from idli/vada/sambar and aloo parathas to oats and museli.

I am neither forcing anybody to follow this diet nor mean to be offensive to the other diet plans. This is just my opinion/experience which I think could help someone with my kind of point of view.

Sample diet:(calorie count from desidieter)
    Breakfast
    Channa Chikki - 2 Nos - - - 158.00
    Yogurt (low fat) - 1 Cup - - - 75.00

Lunch
    Dal Palak - 1 Katori - - - 64.00
    Egg Omlette - 1 Nos - - - 133.00
    Boiled rice - 1 bowl - - - 370.00

Dinner
    Pasta - 1 bowl - - - - 395.00

Total calories 1195.00

Admin Note: Here are relevant links on low cal recipes and diet plan

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/114884-low-cal-south-indian-recipes.html
    IndusLadies - Low Cal Recipes - Blogs
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/krishnaammas-kitchen/6660-low-fat-low-cal-lunch.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/krishnaammas-kitchen/5184-low-fat-low-cal-break.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/keep-fit-and-maintain-shape/140567-tips-to-weight-loss.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...dness-cooked-cracked-wheat-proportionate.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-diet-and-nutrition/21507-1200-calorie-diet.html#post244066

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
    4 people like this.

2. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

Hi Lovechild,

Thanks for the wonderful review and diet plan, which looks promising. I am wondering what is chana chikki means? do you have another day plan to continue, Thanks in advance.

3. lovechild

lovechild New IL'ite

Hi Pinkpearls!!
    I'm glad you liked it. I'm a trial runner too..Lemme see how it goes on.
    Channa chikki is nothing but chole chikki (chickpeas cutlet). It is very sumptuous and yumm!!

Another sample daily menu:

Breakfast - - -
    Rye Bread - 1 Slice - - - 73.00

Lunch - - -
    Sambar - 1 Katori - - - 160.00
    Boiled rice - 1 Bowl - - - 370.00
    Carrot palya / sabji - 1 Katori - - - 35.00

Dinner - - -
    Sambar - 1 Katori - - - 160.00
    Rava idli / idly - 3 Nos - - - 339.00

Total calories : 1137Kcal

I basically decide on what I want to eat and design the day's menu...for example, I wanted to have pizza the other day....it counts to around 500kcal for 2 sumptuous slices. So I designed my other meals of the day such that the total count does not exceed 1200kcal.

Hope it helps!!

4. ada11

ada11 New IL'ite

Hi Love child,

I absolutely accept what u said and ur words really made me laugh :rotfl....I have started an thread Loose 1 or 2 lb in a week ...report ur weight loss every week in that thread also .. cos it will be really motivating us.It is enough if u update every monday .And thanks alot for sharing ur calorie diet menu with us ,please write more and i have onw question how much ounces or cup is 1 katori how do i measure it ....

5. lovechild

lovechild New IL'ite

Hi ada11,
    Joined your thread too...found it interesting :thumbsup

1 Katori is like around 150ml.

6. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Hi lovechild,

Can you let us know which website are you using to find the calories for indian diet?. I would love to try and cut down my calories too.

7. lovechild

lovechild New IL'ite

Hi Rums,
    I am using desidieter for checking calorie counts. For dishes whose calorie content is not available, I just google it and write down appropriate calories.

8. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

Thank you lovechild. What you said was true. I haven't done calorie tracking ever and I started using it. It works mostly except that I am a foodie ;)))

9. vradulla

vradulla New IL'ite

what a good idea. hope it works for me too. i want to lose about 5kg and find a good yoga teacher

10. bkarthika

bkarthika Bronze IL'ite

Hi Lovechild,

I am agreeing your words. I am also in the process of Weight Loss. I successfully reduced to 64.4 from 70 kgs in last 4 months. From last week onwards I am calculating my calorie intake!!! I am using DesiDiet website for that. But i want to know whats the minimum calorie needed per day for a women. Now I am maintaining it to be/below 1200 calories. But in saturday and sunday it exceeds 1500 calories!!!.I have to keep control on these two days!!!

Thanks!!!

With Regards,
    bkarthika