1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

is water consumed from plastic bottles harmful

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Rachna, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Dear ILs

We use Pearlpet Bottles (hard good quality plastic) for storing water. I have read somewhere that drinking water stored in plastic bottles is not good for health. Can anyone advice pls? If not good, can anyone pls suggest me name of other brands which is safer or anything other than bottles to store water

Admin Note: You may also wish to read the following discussions on plastics

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...torage-containers-kithchen-steel-plastic.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/healthy-food-and-living/150078-plastic-water-bottles-beware.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/b...ing/173768-storing-expressed-breast-milk.html
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/h.../200282-how-safe-your-plastic-containers.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.

2. Anokhiii

Anokhiii New IL'ite

i think we can use plastic bottles,but when u see down of every plastic bottle u see a triangle with a number..if its 1 it should not be used for long and if its 5 it can be used for long time....

2 people like this.
  3. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Thanka Anokhii for the useful info, just checked the number in my rubbermaid bottle. It is 5 :)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if is 1 it should not be resused..the purpose of that bottle is to be used only once.. that goes for those all those water bottles we buy on the go..

and above 5 does not mean everything is safe..

Resin identification code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

yes it is

We received a circular from my sons school saying that NOT to give the plastic water bottles to children, use vaccum bottles for kids.
    The circular contains a LOOONG msg regarding the bad effects of plastic.
    Really scarry ...

6. ramkarthick2011

ramkarthick2011 Bronze IL'ite

I have been using number 4

7. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Water in plastic bottle when kept in direct sunlight is harmful, i am told.

8. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

water bottles exposed to heat or sunlight are not safe, thats why we should not put water bottles in car.

9. Manda

Manda New IL'ite

#2,4,5 plastic are generally considerred safe. #1 is not recommended for reuse since it allows bacterial growth. #7 might contain BPA a harmful chemical very much in the news lately.

In my opinion it is better to just reduce use of plastic for food storage specially when you food touches the plastic directly. Everyday there is a new kind of chemical detected to leach into the food and cause health problems. Better use glass or good old stainless steel containers for food storage

There are many stainless steel and aluminuim water bottles in market these days which are meant for reusing. I have been using my bottle for about 5 yrs now. These have become very popular in US now. I am not sure in India. I found stainless steel water bottles on junglee dot com. They might seem to be expensive compared to pearl pet but its a good investment , they last long, dont disfigure in the sun and no health threats.

1 person likes this.
  10. ambrose

ambrose Senior IL'ite

yes of course the plastic bottles are carcinogenic and should not be used for much long time .even the plastic bottles stored in chillers and freezers should not be used . the water should not be drunk from them.:bonk:cheersfrom my sister's frends message, i came to know this