1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 20

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Nov 3, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...college-love-story-part-19-a.html#post2513942

In spite of Priya’s warning, Varsha felt that she should have a talk with Harish. She asked Raksha if she would join her. Raksha agreed. They met him in college on Friday. Raksha went straight to him and said, “Do you know that Priya has not come to college for the past three days? Do you even care?” Harish gave an anguished look. “Of course I care, but I am not able to talk to her.” Raksha replied, “Ya, because you dumped her. Why would she want to talk to you anymore?” she was almost shouting. Varsha caught her hand and said, “Let us go and sit somewhere, there are a lot of people here, they will hear us.”

A few minutes later, they were seated at the stone benches near the library. There were not many students around. Raksha rounded on Harish again. Before she could say anything, he said, “Yes, I did break up with her. I have apologised several times, please, hear me out.” Both the girls remained silent, so he continued. “I have always had the feeling that I am making a mistake by going out with Priya. Since the start, I have felt it in the back of my mind. Why I went on with it in spite of that feeling was because at the time I thought it would be ideal; we were family friends, knew each other since childhood, we would fit in each other’s family, the social and cultural setup would be the same, etc. It was later that I realised that I could not feel that way forever.

I felt that to continue like this would be unfair to her. I felt that she deserves true love, not just someone who thinks of a relationship with her as a convenience, rather than love. I am feeling extremely guilty for leading her on for so long, but this is the least that I can do. I really am doing her a favour by breaking up with her now.”

Raksha said, “Shame on you, Harish. All of a sudden, you realise that you are not the right one for her? Where was this feeling all these years? You happily have fun with her emotions, play around for a couple of years, and one fine morning you decide to end it? As for your confession of feeling guilty, you can dump it in the dustbin. We don’t believe you. Go to hell! Come Varsha, let’s go, leave this loser to his fate.” Varsha was appalled at the way Raksha spoke. She did not want to leave Harish like that, but she also did not want to let down Raksha. She eventually walked away with Raksha. Harish was still standing near the bench when they left. He did not follow them. Raksha was still simmering.

“How dare he? All that remorse is fake. I am sure he feels no guilt at Priya’s situation, he is just relieved.” Varsha said, “Raksha, this is a little too harsh, I am sure he must be feeling sad too, they spent quite a few years together.” Raksha said, “Then why did he think of ending it? You are too soft, Varsha. I don’t think we should talk about this, we might end up fighting among each other. You deal with those two in your way, and I will deal with them in mine. Let us not agree or disagree with each other’s methods.” Varsha agreed to this practical solution. She had also decided to have a separate talk with Harish.

She found him after class. “Harish, there you are. Listen, I need to talk to you. Shall we go to the canteen?” when he turned to face her, she was shocked. His eyes were swollen and bloodshot; he had clearly been crying. “Why, one round was not enough?” Varsha said, “I just want to hear your version of events. I will not yell at you.” He shrugged his shoulders, and turned towards the canteen. They picked a table, and sat down with coffee.

“Believe me Varsha; I hated having to discuss this with Priya. You think it was a party for me? You think I was happy to put her through all the heartbreak? You think I didn’t know that ending this relationship would crush her? I felt that it would be a worse situation, if a few years down the line I would be unhappy, make her unhappy, and live a hollow life. I am very fond of her, I really am. I just believe that she deserves much better.” Varsha said, “The question on everyone’s mind is, why didn’t you get this thought all these years? How did it occur to you now, out of the blue?” Harish said, “I just kept telling myself that it was not true, that maybe I am overreacting, but somewhere deep down, I knew that it wasn’t right. I told you also once, unknowingly. I don’t love her, I am sorry. What struck me was your impending engagement. I saw myself and Priya in the same place in a few years. The picture did not seem right, Varsha, we don’t belong together. I can’t think of her like that, I cannot imagine being married to her, living with her, having children with her. I had to end it. How could I carry on when I was clearly not in love with her?”

Varsha had no answer to that. She felt that Harish had a point, but she could not excuse his behaviour to Priya. “I know that I will lose all my friends over this issue, but I think it is worth it. This is better than ruining two or more lives in the future.” He said. Varsha said, “the only thing we can see right now is Priya’s tears. Sorry Harish, I cannot sympathise with you after seeing her situation. I will not boycott you, I can support you as a friend as best as I can, and I will also ask you to rethink your decision.”

Harish watched Varsha walk away with a heavy heart. He had to talk to Priya, and tell her the rest of the truth. He dialled her number from a local booth. She picked up and said ‘Hello’ in a voice thick with tears. “I need to see you Priya, please; I want to talk to you.” She hung up. Harish sighed. This was expected. Could he go to her house and talk to her? Aunty might think wrong. Harish decided that he would go to Priya’s house and talk to her, no matter what. He owed her the truth. Or the part that he had not revealed yet.

12 people like this.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Ohhh my.. what is Harish upto now?

But my sympathies Harish too...:-(

1 person likes this.
  3. crazywriter

Thank you for the first comment, Lalitha Akka :)

Yes, sometimes we tend to bash the person who is 'committing the crime' and overly support the 'victim' without thinking of the other person's situation.

Disclaimer to all those who read the above statement - The words I state here are strictly from the POV of the characters in this story, they may or may not apply elsewhere. (Although I do agree every coin has two sides :))

2 people like this.
  4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Interesting twist! :thumbsup IMO, whatever excuses, explanation Harish gives, he deserves all the bashing. Great going crazywriter, eagerly waiting for the next episode. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. crazywriter

Haha! :-D thanks for your fb, Ish, yes let us see where things go :)

6. phenox

phenox Silver IL'ite

nice twist, eager to read more abt this episode of "priya n harish"

1 person likes this.
  7. crazywriter

Thanks, keep reading to know more :)

8. Soumys

Soumys Bronze IL'ite

I was keeping on checking for your post for past 2 days for the nxt part. Nice twist.. Waiting for the nxt.. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. crazywriter

10. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

I too feel sorry for Harish. I would also like to know why Harish come up with this decision.

Eagerly waiting for the next episode :)

1 person likes this.