1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 19

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Oct 28, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/195429-college-love-story-part-18-a.html

With the days creeping closer and closer to her engagement, Varsha’s state of nervousness increased. She was keeping herself occupied with college as well as her engagement preparations. There was so much to do, a lot of shopping to do, invitations to relatives, making travel and stay arrangements and managing everyone.

When she went to college on a Wednesday, she found Priya missing. Harish was not around either. She asked Raksha, “Where are the two? Have you seen them?” Raksha replied, “Even I have been wondering the same, they generally don’t bunk like this.” Harish turned up in the afternoon. He had a very grave look on his face. Varsha pounced on him, “Harish, where were you? And where is Priya? Is everything alright?” Harish did not answer directly. “No problem, Varsha, don’t worry, everything is fine.” Raksha did not give up; she picked up where Varsha left off. “Well, where is Priya? She is a regular at college; she never bunks without a good reason,” Harish looked at Raksha and said, “I called her, she did not pick.” Both the girls could immediately make out that it was a lie. Before either of them could say anything, he walked off.

Raksha turned to Varsha, “Something is seriously wrong. Do you think we should go to Priya’s place and check on her?” Varsha agreed, and they decided to miss the remaining classes and leave for Priya’s house. They caught a bus, and reached her house in half an hour. Looking at her magnificent house, they understood that Priya was from an affluent background. They could not help but admire her upbringing, as she was a humble and friendly person. She was also a very careful spender; and would never spend money frivolously. They rang the bell, and a young girl opened the door. Raksha said, “We have come to see Priya, we are her college friends.” The girl said, “Howda, banni, (please come in).” She led them to the living room, and gestured to them to sit at the sofa. “I will call Priyamma, will you have something to drink or eat in the meanwhile?” Both girls politely declined. A lady walked in, and spotted them. She smiled and said, “Hello,” the girl said, “Priyamma’s friends,” The lady said, “Oh, hi, I am Priya’s mother, you must be Raksha and Varsha!” and joined them on the sofa. They both said hello. Raksha said, “I am Raksha, and this is Varsha.” Aunty said, “Priya is unwell, I can’t imagine what is bothering her!” Varsha said, “Even we were worried about her aunty, she never bunks class, so we thought we should come and check on her.” Aunty said, “Yes, that is very sweet of you, please come upstairs, she is in her room, you can go and talk to her. I hope she talks to you, and tells you what the problem is. She has not said anything to me, and I am really worried.” Raksha said, “We will talk to her aunty, don’t worry.” Aunty guided them up the stairs and to Priya’s room. “I will ask Malli to send you some drinks and snacks.”

They went up, and knocked at the door. Priya’s voice came from the inside, “I don’t want to come out, Amma!” she sounded like she had been crying, and her voice was filled with sorrow. Raksha said, “Priya, it’s us, open the door, we need to talk to you.” There was a brief silence. After a few minutes, Priya opened the door. They were shocked to see her. She looked like she had been crying for days. Her eyes were red and swollen, and the tears still kept flowing. She let them in, and flung herself on her bed. It looked like she had been in this position for a long time. They both shut the door, and sat down on the bed with Priya. They had never seen her like this; and were shocked at her appearance. She had never lost control of her emotions in public view, and had always maintained a cool and level head in every situation.

Varsha started, “Priya,” she got no response. She tried again, “Are you drinking water?” Priya wordlessly pointed to a half-empty water bottle near her bed. Raksha, who lacked Varsha’s subtle and gentle nature, burst out, “What happened to you Priya? What is the matter? Tell us, we cannot bear to see you like this!” Unfortunately, Priya burst into a fresh set of tears. There was a knock on the door. Malli, the girl who had opened the door for them, was standing with a tray of snacks, and three glasses of juice. Varsha took the tray from her, thanked her, and closed the door.

After having a big glass of pineapple juice, Priya’s crying subsided. She was sitting up straight on her bead, and munching on the pakodas. Neither Varsha nor Raksha were talking. They kept glancing nervously at each other, and sipping their juice. Priya abruptly said, “Harish broke up with me yesterday.” Raksha almost dropped her glass, but was smart enough not to show the shock on her face. Varsha could not believe it, she blurted out, “What?!” Priya said, “He told me that he did not really love me, he liked me a lot, but he never felt that way about me, he kept assuring me that he thought that I am pretty, good looking, and sweet and what not. He just did not feel that I am the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with.” She said bitterly. Raksha asked, “Did you ever feel in the last few days that he is unhappy, or did he give signs of a break-up?” Priya said, “No! We were happy all these days. Nothing was wrong. We used to have our little tiffs, but that was normal for us.”

Varsha said, “Let me talk to him Priya, I am sure there is some misunderstanding.” Priya replied, “No Varsha, you will not talk to him on my behalf. No one will go and tell him about me anymore. He has decided to end it, and move on, now nothing about me should concern him,” she said, tears flowing down her face.

3 people like this.

2. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Oh dear, poor Priya :cry: What would have made Harish to break off like this?

1 person likes this.
  3. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

I think he loves varsha.

3 people like this.
  4. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Why this all of a sudden. Even if he loves Varsha he knows that her marriage is fixed with someone else and is almost going in for an engagement right? Sudden twist.. Nice..

1 person likes this.
  5. crazywriter

Ya, I know, m feeling bad for her too. :-(

6. crazywriter

I dont know, lets see! :)

7. veenaruban

veenaruban Silver IL'ite

oh sudden twist... Waiting for the next episode.

1 person likes this.
  8. crazywriter

Well, lets see what is in Harish's mind :)

9. crazywriter

10. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

hi crazywriter, sudden twist in the story? eager to read the next.

1 person likes this.