1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

A College Love Story - Part 18

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by crazywriter, Oct 23, 2012.

1. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/stories-fiction/194582-college-love-story-part-17-a.html

Mandakini aunty said, “I am not a teacher though, I have been working as an HR Head in an IT firm. Puru is a CA, and works with a CA Consultancy firm.” Varsha’s father replied, “Oh howda, I am also a Consultant. I work in IT too! What a coincidence. Shwetha, my wife, works at an educationa group as a part of the administration.”

After some more casual talk, Mandakini aunty turned to Varsha again. “Dear, how are your studies going on?” Varsha replied, “They are fine, aunty, I am in my second year now.” Aunty said, “That is very good. I will tell Madhu not to disturb you too much, so that your studies don’t get affected!” she teased. Varsha blushed at that. Aunty continued, “I think you and Mini should be of the same age, she is in her final year of degree.” And turning to Mini, aunty said, “Mathadu (talk to her).” Mini looked at Varsha and gave her a very shy smile. Varsha smiled back in an equally conscious manner. They both continued to smile and search around for topics. Madhav broke the ice. “Mini, why don’t you tell Varsha about your book preferences, tell her about your sports also.” Mini nodded, and said, “I read a lot of books. Harry Potter, Sidney Sheldon, R L Stine, sometimes Dan Brown. And what about you?” Varsha replied, “Oh ya, I like to read too, I read science fiction a lot. I also like Stephen King.” Mini said, “Oh! Stephen King is too scary for me!” Varsha agreed, “Yes, he writes like that. Are you into sports? Madhav mentioned that,” Mini said, “Ya, I play volley ball at the state level.” Varsha’s mother said, “Oh, that is really good, maga! Wow! That is so nice. Vijay is very interested in sports. He plays cricket and badminton for his school.” Aunty said, “Oh, is it so, we seem to have a lot in common with each other, alva!”

After some more idle chit chat, Mandakini aunty said, “have you considered an engagement? If we get the children engaged, we can also be a little at peace.” Varsha’s mother said, “Not so soon, Amma, she is still in her second year of college, in another year she will graduate, then we can have their engagement.” Aunty said, “Nothing major, just a small function with close family, later after her degree, we can conduct a formal engagement ceremony.” Varsha’s father said, “Amma, when we agreed to the talks, we were clear that she would be allowed to complete her studies without any disturbance. We don’t want her to lose focus.” Puru uncle said with an indulgent smile, “Oh yes, Madhu has told us, she is the class topper, isn’t she?” Madhu said, “Yes, she is also the most brilliant student in class!” Varsha couldn’t help but turn a deep crimson shade again.

Mandakini aunty said, “Alright, we will talk about this once she finishes her degree then. Don’t worry, Varsha, we will not interfere with your studies!” she smiled.

Madhav and his family decided to leave. “You must come and visit us too, we will be very happy to have you.” Mandakini aunty said. “Madhu, make sure you persuade them to come sometime soon,” she told Madhav. Puru uncle added, “We will make frequent visits too, please be prepared!” and amid much laughter, they left.
    Later, Varsha and Madhu were chatting. “So, did we scare you?” Varsha said, “A little,” and gave an apologetic smile. “Don’t worry, just be as calm, and cool as you can, its ok to be scared. Remember, my parents won’t eat you up!”

Slowly, things started to fall into a pattern for Varsha. College, weekends with Madhu, and some vacations with her family. She and her family made a trip to Madhu’s hometown for a weekend, and spent some time with him and his family. She also went out for the occasional trip with her gang of friends. Her equation with her friends was slowly changing. Now there was someone else who was on her mind all the time, it was difficult to be around with her friends all the time. She would think about Madhu all the time, and keep mentioning him when she was chatting with them.

She accidentally let slip to them that Madhav sir was her fiancé to be. They were all chatting, and she said, “Oh Madhu says it will be a good option to give the TOEFL, it helps if you want to study or work abroad.” For a minute there was pin drop silence. Raksha broke it. “Who is Madhu?” Varsha had to admit, “My fiancé to be, Madhav sir.” Raksha almost exploded, “What?! You are getting married to Madhav sir? And you are calling him Madhu?!” Priya came to her rescue, “So what, big deal!” Raksha would not give up so easily, “why did you never tell us, Varsha?” Varsha replied, “Because I was afraid you would react like this. He is a really nice person, as is his family. He might be my teacher in college, but outside, he is my fiancé (to be). Please don’t judge me, and believe me, I am happy, this is my choice.” Unfortunately, for Varsha, Raksha was not convinced. The rest of her friends did not mind so much, but things were never quite the same with Raksha.

Before she knew it, a whole year had gone by. She and her friends were now in their final year of college. As usual, there was a lot of excitement, nervousness, uncertainty, and sorrow in everyone’s heart. For a few students, this would mark the end of their education, for various reasons. Some were not financially stable, some were not academically strong, and some girls were being married off. So it was with a lot of apprehension that many entered the first day of college in their final year. Many were going for further studies, some were continuing in the same college, some were leaving town, and some others were going abroad. Whatever would be the case, this would be the last time all of them would meet together, in the same grounds. So there was much grief among the students.

Academically, there was not much of burden on the students. They had got used to the amount of portions, and were familiar with their teachers’ style, so they were not worrying too much. For the gang, it was their usual pattern of group studies.

Varsha and her family were preparing for her engagement. Both families had decided to hold it in the summer vacations. Her paternal grandfather was coming down from the US, and her maternal family were dropping in from Hubli.

1 person likes this.

2. crazywriter

Thanks for the like, anu :)

3. revaraj

revaraj Silver IL'ite

Hey nice episode... all goin well...

1 person likes this.
  4. MadhuSharmila

MadhuSharmila IL Hall of Fame

Great to know that Varsha is going to get engaged to Madhav Sir finally. But, sad that her colorful college days are going to end. Will there be any twists in her love story? Waiting eagerly for the next episode.

1 person likes this.
  5. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Hey nice to see that everything is going on well. Just a thought, I am getting a slight feeling that the story is now losing the pace it once had. Somehow, I feel the details are getting too lengthy and occupying episodes. Eager to learn more and waiting for the next episode

2 people like this.
  6. suganyarangasam

suganyarangasam Gold IL'ite

hi..
    nice update..

1 person likes this.
  7. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Wow, engagement huh? And why is Raksha taking this affair in a different manner? Does she have a crush on Madhav Sir? ;-)

3 people like this.
  8. ShruthiAKotian

ShruthiAKotian Bronze IL'ite

Good one.... :)

1 person likes this.
  9. crazywriter

Thanks, keep reading :)

10. crazywriter

Thanks Madhu :) ya, what to do, it is a sad truth in life!

let us wait and watch what happens next.