1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Superstitions, Customs , Tradition...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by incarnation, Aug 25, 2010.

1. incarnation

incarnation Silver IL'ite

Everyday when ever I do something or anything , I get reminded of something... Today I was reminded by going to loo , now u folks must be thinking , wow !! something in this too ... Yeah...

That something is my MIL after marriage bombarded me with all absurd , irritating , irrational superstition/ ritual/tradition/beliefs.Which did not leave literally any aspect of my life untouched...

It totally blew my lid off in terms of logic and humanity...
    They are so much irritating and life spoiler..

Are you also irritated like me ... ??
    Do you think we have to come out of it ?
    Do you also have a list of them , please share...

So this time reminded me and i worte this post was : I went to loo.. and I remember she has a ritual for that too ... LOL <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt; height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:rotfl<!--[endif]-->

My MIL beleives in all soughts of superstition and practices which have no logical explaination even if there is an explanation that is itself illogical ...

I am a true non believer of superstitions AND Practices that by no way on this earth you can justify its practice in present times.

If you want my MIL list it is never ending.
    ex :

• Calling after a person leaves home
    • Keeping left out first from the door
    • Not keeping food ready for a person who is not in home
    • Touching anything during periods
    • Touching god during periods
    • Cleaning whole table/place where rice utensil is touched without any rice falling there.
    • Removing all clothes before going to toilet
    • Pray to god without clothes OR Change to new clothes before touching god.
    • Wearing jeans as it is divided wear and the stitch depicts the vagina...LOL on the crap
    • and Saree even without blouse is a decent dress
    • Talking and dealing with any intellectual stuff or any men related stuff in front of FIL.
    • Not travelling on certain days.
    • Not using shampoos on thursday
    • One should not vomit in pregnancy that is sign of intolerance.
    • PostPartum Untouchability..This was the most sick and horrible thing she did.
    • call jaat ka nai only for cutting nails, ask his jaat(caste) etc
    • Tying hairs before delivery and open it at just point of delivery ..My doc was pissed
    • Take 5kgs ghee atleast after delivery.
    • Squeeze milk from breast out side house when coming back from delivery ...(crap)
    • Throw away initial 5 days colostrum
    • Not to touch a grain of rice/vegetable/fruit etc etc before Annaprashan to child by mistake also.Even though doc advised little solid food early as I was working..
    • Not to treat son-in-law as son..
    • Casteism - staunch believer..
    • Gender bias - staunch believer..
    • Color bias - staunch believer..
    • Dont make kid sleep in arms , kid will get spoilt

More interesting , she has some new rules , created by her. In Photo wife should in left, Dont take photo in that and this pose , it is suppose to be ashubh..

Etc etc etc etc...endless .

These are just somethings without even thinking I could put here.
    She has loads of it ,all bad things in this world, the whole IL site will get stuck by processing so much data if I try putting them all her ...ha ha ha...and interestingly she has her own clauses and caveats for her own comforts.I believe people who are believer of superstsition upto this extent of my MIL . They should sent mental asylum for proper treatment.

But other way of thinking : For the amount of garbage she churns out of in name of superstitions/rituals/beliefs/traditions.... I think it must be ambrosia for her kinds..<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt;height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:bowdown<!--[endif]--> . [ some responses to the post prove it ;-) ]

Also I think, how does she manage to thinks and remember such interesting things in these times when they many urban folks have literally thrown away these beliefs to have normalcy in life..
    Infact people like these are living in 40yrs old era and applying those in present times whereas these are no more valid in present context.

This post in not about "my" "MIL". Following are the more important questions for all to think about and answer..

Are we changing ... is there any hope ?
    It seems we "stop thinking" when it comes to traditions. We fight to ‘preserve traditions’ not because they are fair, or plain common sense, but because they are ‘our traditions’, however hollow they are..
    Many many ... educated people also get involved in this just to follow traditions because traditions always are for good.., and "no more arguments- thats it" attitude..

It never ceases to amaze me how the most painful and horrifying traditions always involve women and children.The need to subjugate a woman in every way possible is the only justification that such a practice has! Even more shocking is that women believe that it is for their own good , forced to have these beliefs by women themselves, Blind faith!Junk!Utter Crap.... AND WE FOOLISH WOMEN ABIDE AND SELF IMPOSE THEM..Can someone answer when atleast educated women will come out of this...

A more figures oriented question : Any idea how much time in a day is spent in these activities,multiple it by day , months and years... , I am sure it is huge..Isnt is equal to wasting 80% of your life.Better put this time in some betterment activity of self , that will lead to society, then nation , then whole humankind...

Added more : A lyrics of very famous song..Is it just a song ..no , a beautiful message :Chhodo kal ki baatein

chhodo kal ki baatein
    kal ki baat puraani
    naye daur mein likhenge
    mil kar nayi kahaani
    hum hindustaani
    hum hindustaanichhodo kal ki baatein
    kal ki baat puraani
    naye daur mein likhenge
    mil kar nayi kahaani
    hum hindustaani
    hum hindustaani

aaj puraani zanjeeron ko tod chuke hain
    kya dekhein us manzil ko jo chhod chuke hain
    chaand ke dar pe ja pahuncha hai aaj zamaana
    naye jagat se hum bhi naata jod chuke hain
    naya khoon hai nayi umangein
    ab hai nayi jawaani
    hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani

hum ko kitne tajmahal hain aur banaane
    kitne hain ajanta hum ko aur sajaane
    abhi palatna hai rukh kitne dariyaaon ka
    kitne parvat raahon se hain aaj hataane
    naya khoon hai nayi umangein
    ab hai nayi jawaani
    hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani, hum hindustaani

BTW: My MIL is educated and left her BSc in first year.She is also just in her early 50's...Not that old...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

2. incarnation

there is a very interesting topic at http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indian-weddings/18446-what-tradition-do-you-not.html

where girls really hated some traditions like sitting on FIL's Lap,
    washing son-in-law feet , and like I hate , my MIl made me wash my DH's feet and then clean with my hairs. and there my H was smiling , even though I resisted it.I just hate that and recently after 6 yrs , I took thise photos , burned them and flushed them inthe toilet in front of my DH, as my protest for his not supporting me at that time and not having courage to say a no and think logically as this was a love marriage.

3. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear incarnation,

It never ceases to amaze me how the most painful and horrifying traditions always involve women and children.The need to subjugate a woman in every way possible is the only justification that such a practice has! Even more shocking is that women believe that it is for their own good , forced to have these beliefs by women themselves, Blind faith!Junk!Utter Crap.... AND WE FOOLISH WOMEN ABIDE AND SELF IMPOSE THEM..Can someone answer when atleast educated women will come out of this...

Educated women will come out of these when thsy have the will to o so.Mere talking is not enough .If one is facing such stupidity one should say,"No I just can't do that"and et out.thats all there is to it.
    love
    mithila

4. rajalakshmigopal

rajalakshmigopal Gold IL'ite

This is an absolute CRAP.PERIOD.

5. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Wow..I think all mils are stuck in a time zone of some old sadistic era and we all will have to unite and pull them out of it . Bring them to the 21st century :bowdown My mil also believes a lot of things on your list. Some more things she told me were
    "If you sleep a lot when you are pregnant your baby will be born dull and inactive "
    "If you eat spicy food when you are pregnant baby's hair will fall out and he will be born bald "
    "If you dont give baby head bath EVERYDAY , baby will vomit whatever it eats and drinks"

Really ..what can I say.. ridiculous . You are right though. Most of these superstitions are only for women and children ..as if they were made to torture women.

But I have to say your mil is the limit :hide:
    She made you wash your husbands feet and wipe with your hair ???????? My god .. really I have no words.. why did you do it ? Next time she tells you all this crap tell her you WILL NOT do it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. incarnation

Dont worry Pinknblue , I will not marry her son again ... mistake already done once...So no once more washing and cleaning stuff...
    Thank for replying on uniting and working towards ending this...This is the spirit..

7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

If I were in your place, in order to maintain peace, I would just follow whatever is easy enough to follow and just ignore whatever is not possible or what I feel is impractical. And I would certainly not decide point blank that what is impractical to me should be so for everyone else!

Just as you believe these things are crap, she is a strong believer that these things are important and you really can't call a person out as dumb or stupid or whatever on their beliefs. The beliefs are formed through a lot of factors like their background/upbringing etc.

If you are constantly trying to push your feminist views/modern outlook in an attempt to make your MIL "understand", I think you are just wasting time and the peace in your household!

8. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

OMG! Your MIL belongs to a mental asylum...she totally belongs there! OMG!

My MIL is not superstitious AT ALL. She is quite modern but she is very very cunning..

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Pear Tree! We missed your voice in the forum for a few weeks.

Incarnation - This is the best advice really.

People are entitled to have their beliefs. One cannot call them all sorts of names just because they have their individual beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their own (as long as they dont interfere others)

Problem comes when ppl thrust their beliefs on others. Yes, thats the issue.

In such cases, the advice PT has given above works best. You should choose to do whatever aligns with your belief or things that are netural to you, and decline if there are things strongly against your belief.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

In this case , doesnt the opposite hold true ? If it is wrong for us to push our "modern outlook", how is it right for them to be pushing their "olden beliefs" ?
    I think instead of going back in time it is always better to come forward in life . JMO.
    Another thing, if these things are so important to them let them practise it themselves. Nobody will object. Why force it on others ?

The original poster has mentioned that she has abided by some of her MIL's rules even though she didn't want to. So she has actually done just what you said, made an attempt to meet her MIL halfway. But I'm sure it wasnt enough for MIL.. If it was , maybe there would have been peace by now and the OP would not have to deal with all this still and make this post.