1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DD feeling rejected at school.. How to deal this ??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SRK123, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

My daughter is 4 year old and very sensitive..

I have seen some children in the playground saying things like " I am not your friend" or "You cant play with me" My little one is feeling rejected and sad when such things occur, on the other hand, she is very careful and polite, always sharing her things and being nice to everyone around her.

I know these things are common in 4 year olds, but how do we deal with it?

Looking forward for your suggestions...

Kiran

2. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Facing the same issue and now I see dd also learning those things...yesterday she told me "I dont need your help" ... :)

2 people like this.
  3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i ,too faced the same problem with my two kids kids......

many times i questioned the child 'Why don't you want to play?
    got funny answer like 'why he is wearing my Spiderman tshirt? apparently the child too had same t-shirt or he pushed me yesterday or classy I don't know, just don't want to play'............

i tell my kids to ignore that child & play with others or play with me or try to sweet talk the other child .........if i am not around kids tackle it themself & i guess its the best way as we won't be always around to protect them from getting hurt.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

5. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

My son likes to play with kids of his age so he calls some of the kids to play with him at home with his toys.... One of the boys snatches each and every toy of him to play with...He tells my DS if you dont give me this toy, i will go away or just kitti with you.....My son in the fear of being rejected or left alone gives all his toys to him to play......I scold that boy very much, he is just 4 years old....what can i do, he blackmails my son a lot :rant.

p.s.: Still my son calls him everyday because he wants someone to play with. :drowning

6. brb_va

brb_va Gold IL'ite

This is usual.. all kids are sensitive when they are too small.. over a period of time, they would get along with their own circle of friends of their own frequency. The other child may also have mood swings, and children get irritated often, they may cite innumerous reasons for not playing with a child. This is quite common, and the children over a period of time, may take things easily and wont feel for it.

The child as such cannot be brought up sensitively, you have been giving whatever your DD asks for, without any rejection, now there is a fear of rejection in the child. She is hearing NO for the first time, that too when she wants to play with them desperately. This will get sorted out. My DD is grown up and if she hears NO from any of her fellowmates, she knows how to handle them now!!

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

One strategy is to explain to your child that, "He/she doesn't want to play with you right now. Let's find something else to play with. Maybe she will change her mind later..." When you talk to her, try to help her see that this need not be permanent or personal...usually the same kid will be ready to play the next day or if she sees your child having fun with something else...

5 people like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Rama(teacher) is right.. this has worked for me.. instead of going on the negative, i have worked it toward positive affirmation.. he would like to play when he is not tired or something to that context.. and sometimes, it is ok if x does not want to play now, you can play with y., that way the kids learn to move and mingle with others.

9. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Thank you ladies for guiding me..

Started practicing as you all said, today while coming back home from preschool, DD wanted to say bye to a girl, she went back said bye, that girl didnt respond at first, then my daughter repeated, then she suddenly shouted loudly saying "STOP!!!" DD felt really sad, I told her "come back sweetie, may be she is in a bad mood right now". Is this the right way to handle, because, DD asked me " Is it okay to shout if we are in a bad mood?"

Also, I have noticed that DD will be usually left out in most of the social situations where there are a group of children, though not all children say things, they mostly just ignore her when she is talking, dont wait for her for anything.. There are very few instances when they talk, like when they need her toys, etc.
    What I am doing is to invite them home for some playdates so that she connects with them one at a time, and slowly she gets comfortable in the group. This worked for me very well.
    I am failing to understand where the problem is... and I am thinking day and night about this and unable to eat or sleep.

I am looking for some advice on how to help her improve her social skills..

-Kiran

10. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Is the kids who are giving attitude to her are older than your dd? Even few months of age difference matters with some kids self esteem. If that is the case and your dd is the youngest on her preschool class group. The best solution is to keep her in the younger age group so she will be the oldest. This will help a lot.
    My son's birthday was the last cut off date for his age group. So after the first year experience in preschool I changed him to the younger group which continued to his school years too. This helped a lot in his social life and academics.