1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Natural way to control excess bleeding during periods??

Discussion in 'Nature Cure' started by orion80, Aug 19, 2009.

1. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I regularly have periods of duration 4-5 days. But this month, my periods started on 3rd and havent stopped until now. Also there is heavy bleeding. I am feeling very weak and dizzy.

Went ti gynae, she did some tests and everything was normal. She gave me stylate to stop bleeding. I am using since 3 days but very little effect.

Please suggest me a natural way to control this bleeding

-Lakshmi

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009

2. keerat45

keerat45 Senior IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi...:)

Please dont panic, as you have already consulted your doctor and she has given you the required medicine...

But here are a few things that you should take care of, inspite of that...

(1) Lifestyle Changes,
    (2) Alternative Medicine
    (3) Drugs and Surgery.

1: Lifestyle changes:

Lifestyle Adjustments to ease irregular periods:

• Get more exercise (aim for moderate exercise almost every day).
    • Decrease intake of refined carbohydrates.
    • Augment nutrition with a multivitamin, calcium and magnesium supplements, and fish oil.
    • Reduce alcohol and caffeine intake.
    • Consider meditation, yoga, visualization or other methods of stress relief.
    • Consume lots of water to replace lost nutrients.
    • Use ibuprofen (if medically okay) to relieve painful periods.
    • Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables.

2: Alternative medicine:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="556"><tbody><tr><td valign="center" width="156">Herbal Supplements</td> <td valign="top" width="400"> [​IMG]
    Herbs are used to stimulate or support hormone production
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr class="hrbox"></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="center" width="156">Acupuncture</td> <td valign="top" width="400">Very fine needles are inserted in body along "energy pathways" to cure ailments</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr class="hrbox"></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="center" width="156">Massage</td> <td valign="top" width="400">Effective for relaxation or medicinal purposes</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="4"><hr class="hrbox"></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="center" width="156" height="40">Homeopathy</td> <td valign="top" width="400">Uses small amounts of natural substances to stimulate the body's own defense and healing process</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    In the case of herbal supplements, there are two types of herbs that can be used for treating irregular periods: phytoestrogenic and non-estrogenic herbs. Phytoestrogenic herbs (e.g. Black Cohosh) contain estrogenic components produced by plants. These herbs, at first, do treat the hormonal imbalance by introducing these plant-based estrogens into the body. However, as a result of adding outside hormones, a woman´s body may become less capable of producing estrogen on its own. This causes a further decrease of the body´s own hormone levels.

By contrast, non-estrogenic herbs, as the name suggests, don't contain any estrogen. These herbs stimulate a woman´s hormone production by nourishing the pituitary and endocrine glands, causing them to more efficiently produce natural hormones. This ultimately results in balancing not only estrogen, but also progesterone and testosterone. Non-estrogenic herbs (e.g. Macafem) can be considered the safest way to treat irregular periods naturally as the body creates its own hormones and doesn´t require any outside assistance.

3: Drugs and surgery:

The type of medical treatment used for irregular periods will depend on this underlying cause.
    For example, uterine fibroids will often require surgical removal, though this depends on the size, location, number and symptom severity of the fibroids. In rare cases, the underlying causes of irregular periods require a hysterectomy, or full removal of the female reproductive organs.

So do follow this advice and keep up the regular check-ups of your doctor.
    And most of "Dont Worry"
    Regards...:)

3. bars62

bars62 Senior IL'ite

hi lakshmi

do not worry. i will tell you natural remedy to control heavey flow

put a rubberband very tightly around both toes keep it for 5 mints remove for 2 mints and then again tie it for 5 mnts. this prcocess should continue 4 or 5 times a day. you will see the difference and control in bleeding.

find out any acupunturist in your area and needle insertion on certain points will help you defintely.

wish you all the best.

bars62
    bharathy.g.M.D.(acu)

4. augustmom

augustmom Senior IL'ite

I know this thread is almost 3 years old but instead of starting a new thread, i thought it would be better to post my query here . I too have heavy periods atleast the first three days since more than 10 or 12 years. Initially i used to have severe stomach pain on the first day but as i grew older, i stopped getting stomach pain. Now i get back pain but i still have heavy periods. I don't feel like going out anywhere during those days.. I usually plan my trips or anything like such that those don't fall on my period days. Is there any medicine ( Ayurveda) or any home remedies to reduce the flow? After delivery also it is still the same.

1 person likes this.
  5. TerrieDaw

TerrieDaw Senior IL'ite

See its not as such big problem you think its normal you don't have to worry about. As you get older it'll be lighten and help to birth control. Please do not take any pill or treatment for that because it'll be dangerous for health. 20 min meditation per day may help you. My mum always gives me a glass of milk adds 1 spoon of Desi ghee it really works.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Ancestors have suggested some remedies which I would like to share here :-

1. Drink kanji (porridge) prepared using wheat flour

2. Eat roasted gram (chutney dal) powder

3. Pomegranate with its inner thin skin (in siddha medicine they give a 'rasayanam' prepared using pomegranate.

4. Ivy gourd / kovai kai / tondli - is considered to be good.

5. Banana plant flower is very good.

1 person likes this.
  7. manu2009

manu2009 Silver IL'ite

hi,

sylate is the right medicine for excessive menstrual bleeding, however it takes time for the menses to come under control. you can try some natural remedies also along with sylate. sharing this since I too went through similar problem in 2005 but now everything is fine. don't worry.

Here are some info shared in the net as home remedies for the problem : source : http://www.youngever.com/diseasesandremedies/menustraldisorders.html

Treatment of Menstrual Disorders:
    .Menstrual Problems treatment using Parsley (kothimeera)
    Parsley is one of the most effective among the several home remedies in the treatment of menstrual disorders. It increases menstruation and assists in the regularization of the monthly periods. This action is due to the presence of apiol, which is a constituent of the female sex hormone estrogens. Cramps, which are a result of menstrual irregularities, are relieved and frequently corrected entirely by the regular use of parsley juice, particularly in conjunction with beet juice; or with beet, carrot, and cucumber juices. The recommended quantity is 75 ml of each of the four juices. This is considered to be an excellent method of treating menstrual problems after pregnancy as it also helps to provide the mother with a wide variety of vitamins and nutrients that are beneficial to both her and her baby.
    2.Ginger (Allam)
    A piece of fresh ginger should be pounded and boiled in a cup of water for a few minutes. The infusion, sweetened with sugar, should be used thrice daily after meals as a medicine for treating this condition. You can use honey instead of sugar if you wish to and it would be best to have this tonic as soon as you wake up in the morning.
    3.Sesame Seeds (Nuvvulu)
    Sesame seeds are valuable in menstrual problems. Half a teaspoon of powder of these seeds, taken with hot water twice daily, acts excellently in reducing spasmodic pain during menstruation in young, unmarried anaemic girls. Its regular use, two days prior to the expected periods, cures scanty menstruation. A warm hip bath containing a handful of crushed sesame seeds should be simultaneously taken along with this recipe.
    4.Papaya
    The unripe papaya helps the contractions of the muscle fibres of the uterus and is thus beneficial in securing a proper menstrual flow. Papaya is especially helpful when menstruation ceases due to stress or fright in young unmarried girls.
    5.Marigold (Banthi puvvu)
    The herb Marigold, named after the Virgin Mary, is useful in allaying any pain during menstruation and facilitating menstrual flow. An infusion of the herb should be given in doses of one tablespoon twice daily for the treatment of these disorders.
    6.Coriander seeds (Dhaniyalu)
    Coriander seeds are also beneficial in the treatment of excessive menstruation. Six grams of these seeds should be boiled in half a litre of water. This decoction should be taken off the fire when only half the water remains. Sugar candy (Patika bellam) should be added to it and the patient should drink it when it is still warm.
    7.Ashoka
    The bark of the Ashoka tree is an effective remedy for excessive blood loss during the monthly period which occurs due to uterine fibroids and other causes. It should be given in the form of decoction in treating this condition. About 90 gm of the bark should be boiled in 30 ml of milk and 360 ml of water till the total quantity is reduced to about 90 gm. This quantity should be given in one day, in two or three doses. The treatment should commence from the fourth day of the monthly period and should be continued till the bleeding is checked. A fresh decoction should be made for use each day.
    Menstrual Problems diet :
    1.All-fruit diet

The various disorders relating to menstrual flow, being systemic in origin, can be tackled only by treating the system as a whole, so as to remove the toxicity from the body and build up the general health level of the sufferer. To undertake such a scheme of all-round, health-building treatment, the sufferer should begin with an all-fruit diet for about five days, taking three meals a day of fresh, juicy fruits. However, if there is excessive weight loss during the all-fruit diet, those already underweight may add a glass of milk to each fruit meal.
    2.Well-balanced diet
    After the all fruit diet, the sufferer should adopt a well-balanced diet, with emphasis on fresh fruits, raw vegetables, and wholegrain cereals.
    3.Avoid white flour products, sugar, confectionery, tinned or preserved foods, strong tea/coffee.

Ayurvedic herbal remedies for heavy periods or menorrhagia or abnormal menstrual bleeding : Ashokarishta, Lodhrasava, Patrangasava, Pushyanuga churna, Pradararipu rasa, Pradarantaka rasa and Pradarantaka loha are some of the common ayurvedic herbal remedies for heavy periods.
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 34%, align: center"][​IMG]
    Maha Sacral Mudra
    [/TD]
    [TD="width: 66%"]Maha Sacral Mudra
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: pera"]This Mudra is done with both hands. The ring fingers of both hands touch and the little fingers are on the thumbs. Hold this position for ten breaths. Now place the pads of the little fingers together and place the ring fingers on the thumbs. This Mudra is done 3 times a day for seven minutes before food. It is good for complaints of the lower abdomen. It can provide relief from pain during menstuation and provide relief from bladder and prostrate complaints as well. [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.