1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adoption

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by harisur, Nov 12, 2008.

1. harisur

harisur New IL'ite

My husband and I have two handsome sons aged 13 and 7 3/4 (very important to mention the 3/4). We are always talking about adopting a girl baby from India. I feel I am too old for another baby and there is no guarantee it will be a girl!
    Is there anybody who has adopted a girl baby from India from the US? Can you write how long it took and what process you went thru. I wanted to know somebody's actual experience from IL rather than an unknown source. We are US citizens.

2. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Harisur,
    First of all congratulations on taking the decision to adopt. It is definitely not an easy route!! You need to be both emotionally and financially very strong.
    Last year my brother and SIL (both US citizens) adopted a baby girl from India. So I know the process (if not all, atleast most of it). First of all you need to find an adoption agency here in the US who will have links/contacts/affiliated to orphanages in India. You need to register with them and they will assign you a licensed social worker to do a home study..Basically, a homestudy involves assessment and education. The social worker, on behalf of the adoption agency, will make sure of 2 things
    1: you are suited to be an adoptive parent, and
    2: you have an appropriate place to raise a child.
    After it is completed, I believe the adoption agency will start looking for a child of your preference. You can also do the homework simultaneously by contacting some orphanages in India. If you are lucky you can get a reference for a child within 4-6 months but that I believe does not happen often...To get a reference it can take anywhere from 1-2 yrs too for some people!!..Once you accept the reference then it's matter of completing all the paper work..both in the U.S and in India...U.S paper work might not take long...max 3-4 months...but in India it might take a while...anywhere between 6-10 months...So all together from the point you register with the agency and completing all the formalities and getting the child it might take anywhere between 12-24 months...My brother and SIL were lucky enough...so they completed everything within 12 months...
    Also, keep in mind that there are costs associated with home study, US visa, India court fees, Indian attorney fees, fees/donations to orphanage...My brother told me that in total they spent $ 15,000-18,000. this is including my brother's and SIL's travel costs to get the child here in the U.S...
    But even after all that we all are so happy to have this child in our family...
    Let me know if you need any more info...I can ask my SIL any specific questions and let you know...

Good luck!!

1 person likes this.
  4. vashini

vashini Bronze IL'ite

Wish you more happiness in your life. May god return your and yours good heart.

Love,
    Vashini

5. vandana123

vandana123 New IL'ite

I have just stepped into the journey of international adoption. I am based out of California- San Jose and am looking at adopting a child from India. I am trying to see if I can get in touch with someone who has had a similar experience so that I can get a first hand information on the process. Could you please suggest.