1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Please help

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by cheenu123, May 7, 2015.

1. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Please forgive me for posting in this forum. Actually, I find the participants of this forum to be truly active, sage, and patient. That is why I have come here to post this problem.

Mine is a health related issue, post marriage I have gained humongous amount of weight and Iam struggling with PCOS. Please I request you ardently to give me tips that actually work.
    I start something and then leave it after a few days since I dont feel motivated.
    Please I really look forward to inputs
    @yellowmango
    @Rihana
    @SGBV
    @butterflyice
    @justanothergirl
    @Ragini
    @Joyoflife
    @satichananda
    @hste raho
    @VanithaSudhir
    @Shanvy

I want to tag so many more people, have missed out on many names but please I seek advice from everyone

2. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tag

I am not sure whether I am helpful or not because I have no personal experience with PCOS issues.

However, yours is a medical condition that needs a gynecologist's constant supervision. Please do take needful medicines and life style changes as recommended by your doctor. Then do the tests then and there when needed.

I may suggest you to meet a nutritionist on the same time. You may discuss your PCOS issue and the Gynea's advice with the nutritionist to come up with a diet plan.

Mostly, do not stick with strict diet plans or heavy exercise routines. Because not everyone is motivated the same way to successfully go through it.

I may rather opt for a small life style change for this. Such as give up tea, coffee, carbonated beverages, junk food, fried items, biscuits, unwanted munching, etc..etc... To replace, you may take green tea, milk, fresh juice without sugar and some fruits as snacks.

Then portion control... reduced size of meals. Instead of one huge plate, you can reduce the size of rice or chapatti, but increase the amount of veg/salad or lean meat.
    Reduce the oil for cooking.
    Instead, boil the veggies.

Instead of 3 huge meals, make it as 5 meals a day. Those 2 snacks could be fruits or boiled veggies.

Early dinner - Please ensure 3hs up after dinner. If dinner is at 7, then you are allowed to sleep after 10.

Enjoy household chores.. Washing, cooking, moping the floor, etc..etc... do that by yourself

Walk instead of the car if it is walk-able distance.
    Use stair case instead of the lift

Do basic Yoga with the support of you-tube. Also, some stretching or crunching exercise in the mornings and eve.

Stay active all the time both physically and mentally. You can use an exercise machine while watching your fav TV soap.
    You can cook or clean the floor by listening to music
    You can walk by talking to a friend or do some window shopping instead.

You can use your mobile and do whatsapp while walking in the terrace for 30 mins without any tiredness.

Have a friend with similar issue, so you can both have joined plans and tract the results.

best of luck

1 person likes this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@cheenu123,

Thanks for tagging me.

PCOS can be controlled with medication, diet and exercise.

I have a close family member who suffers from this condition. She also put on lots of weight. What helped her reduce and maintain her weight are the following:

1. Ayurvedic medicines - Seeing a good ayurvedic doctor and following her instructions to the T. She stopped allopathy as she was given metformin and clomid.

2. Eating very less rice and no rice for dinner.

3. Strict portion control - like 2 rotis for breakfast with subzi. She didnt drink coffee/tea, so had no problems giving that up. Substitute white rice with dalia (broken wheat), millets and barley slowly. Check @Shanvy's thread lunch ideas sans rice for more ideas on this.

4. No curds (only buttermilk), no ghee/butter or baked goodies like cakes, bread etc

5. Snacks are only veggies and fruits with good water content like cucumbers, watermelon, celery, gooseberry - all the veggies and fruits that you get in India. Eat starchy fruits such as banana, mango in moderation.

6. Exercise regimen consisting of 30 min on treadmill/elliptical, 1 hour of exercises and another 30 minutes of yoga. You may/may not have the time exercise for this long, but you can break it up over the week. Aim for 30 min to 45 min every day. Even walking done everyday can work wonders. I love yoga as you can do it anywhere anytime.

7. Above all, positive attitude that you can beat PCOS. You can probably maintain a diary here on IL by starting a thread. Other members with PCOS can join you with their diet and exercise regimen. You can also join existing exercise threads.

All the best.

2 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

@cheenu123,
    I wish I could help you out here...but I myself struggle to lose weight all the time.
    I have lost close to 3 kgs recently in one and half months but I am not sure if what works for me will work for you as we are in different age brackets.

I can just mention what I have done recently....

I started taking the stairs up and down(except when carrying heavy stuff)....

I walk about 30-45 minutes everyday ....I continue to do so(but this does no reduce my wt as I have been doing it for ages)

I have carbohydrates just once a day...usually lunch.Which means either roti or rice for lunch(just one roti or one small bowl of rice).Initially there is craving,but in a weeks time ,it stopped.

I eat fruits, veggies(cooked and uncooked)and lots of dal.

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I can't do without lots of tea....so I stopped having sugar and changed to sugar free.Please check about this before using because I am also not sure if it is good for a long term.I tend to get stomach upset if used continuesly...so I take a break of a day or two.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Once a week I eat whatever I want .[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If I want to drink colas...I stick to diet ones.(not sure about this one too)...other wise it is neembu paani with rock salt.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]It is summer time and now I am binging on watermelon.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I can't do without a hot cup pf milk before sleep time and I continue to do so...although I have been told that it causes wt gain.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]If you are checking your wt...do it at the same time of the day.Also check measurements of body at various places.Some times the scale may show no wt loss ,but your measurements may have reduced.This helps in keeping one encouraged.Don't weigh everyday...weigh once or twice in a week.

Best wishes Cheenu.[/FONT]

2 people like this.
  6. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Tha is for tagging.

Cheenu I have no clue about Pcos so can't give you any suggestions for that. But for the rest of the things first of all I would say stay happy. Because stress and consistent worrying make the things a lot bigger then they actually are. If you are mentally ready to conceive,every day for a few minutes visualise yourself becoming a mother, it will keep you motivated. Regarding not being able to keep the routines I know that is one of the hardest things in life but it is achievable. I read somewhere that we already know what happens when we quit, this time lets see the results when we stay consistent on good things. Those extra kilos can be problematic in many aspects of life, do get rid of those. Give yourself easy targets. Make a chart of how many kilos you have to loose and work accordingly. Try to cut down sugar intakes, for first week cut down the amount to half and from then on completely eliminate that nasty thing from your diet. Then cut down junk and fizzy drinks. Eat healthy. When you start dieting you you will have strong cravings for all the wrong things but do not give in, the initial days are the hardest. After that it become your habit. Do yoga regularly. Good sleep is also very important. SGBV, YM and butterfly rice have given amazing tips i do not think I can add anything better. I am aware from your previous posts that you do have some minor mil issues. Do not let those small things make sad or depressed. Feel blessed and gracious. Meditate and pray regularly if you do these things half the battle is won already. Remember we do not need a reason to be happy and smile, so smile often. When we are happy our brain produces happy neurons which help us in dealing with everything, but if we are sad it's the other way round. So stay happy whatever is coming in between you and your goal will disappear. Wish you a happy journey to this wonderful destination and keep us updated.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rohanj

Rohanj Gold IL'ite

Can I suggest?
    Try Homeopathy treatment.
    My younger sister dealt with this and homeopathic treatment worked. Allopathy and Ayurvedic treatment didn't work.
    She also works out a lot. For 6 days a week and for 2 hours she'll workout. In those days, she'll do weight training, Cardio, HIIT(High Intensity Interval training) on Elliptical.
    In diet she will not have any white food like sugar, White bread, dairy products like Paneer. She's very determined person. Once she gets down to achieving something, she stops only after achieving it. She handled this issue amazingly well and came out of it with being fit. You can take my younger sister's inspiration.

1 person likes this.
  8. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

I have lost 7 kg in 6 months.My advice would be choose a excersise which you actually enjoy eg swimming,badminton.When you really enjoy some thing there is no need for motivation.

1 person likes this.
  9. nolife

nolife Silver IL'ite

I have lost 5kgs in 3mons with the help of diet plans suggested by my dietitian and I hardly exercise. You may try that.

1 person likes this.
  10. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

I would go shopping if I need to start losing weight.
    1. walking in mall doesn't feel as if we are exercising. but, indeed we are losing calories.
    2. trying on clothes pisses me off, as I often won't fit into 1 size. If L size is perfect at waist, its tight at thighs. This motivates me to lose weight.
    3. try some new gadget like fitbit which keeps account of calories.

Ofcourse, all these are add-ons to dieting and exercising.

2 people like this.