1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thousands of kindness, day after day!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by navs23, Feb 9, 2014.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Editor's Note: Dear IL'ites, navs23 has shared some wonderful facts on what makes a marriage stronger through 2 stories and it is featured here. Please have a look and share it with your friends. navs23, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. It has been selected as best of forums. Congratulations!

-----------------------

This is in response to "What wives can do for a strong marriage"

'A good marriage is made up of thousands of kindness, day after day'.

I would like to share two real life stories, stories about people, whom I am proud of, stories that inspire me to want to become a better person.

My mil's, mil(grand mother) was a strong, determined and opinionated woman. She worked very hard and struggled a lot to bring up my fil and his siblings(fil's dad had passed away when he was young). So, when my mil got married, she instantly had to bear the brunt of grandmother's anger and bitterness. Mil is a very patient woman and endured everything. Then, when grand mother fell sick and was completely bed ridden, mil stepped up. She took care of the old woman like no one else could, even when all that she got were rants and curses. Though grandmother had become physically bed ridden, she still hated her dil with all her might. Mil did her duties, far beyond what a dil could do and kept grandma fed, clothed, cleaned and tended to. She showed no signs of disgust, never complained and went on doing her duty until grand mother passed away one day. Even in the last minute, there was no love, gratitude or even silence(or respect) from grand mother, she hated her dil till the very end.

Mil's kindness towards her spouse(by taking care of his mother) and towards her mil(who had abused her so much) really shook me. I do not know if I can be half as good as she had been, but am mighty proud of her and wish some of her kindness rubs off on me.

My maternal grandmother got married real young and went through poverty, foreclosure, underfed children, serious health issues and an irresponsible spouse. Finally, one day, when they had lost it all and stood in the street with no money, no where to go and 3 young girls and a helpless, tearful husband, she did what most of us would not be able to do. She was kind and gave him a second chance. It took a lot of time, but she patiently stood by him and he was a changed man. It is said that communication is the key to a good marriage. But, I have hardly seen my grand parents talk to each other, and yet they were always in a harmonious sync, no words needed. They understood each other so well and yet respected their boundaries and gave each other a lot of space. While grandma kept herself busy with cooking, cleaning and tv soaps, grandpa was busy with long walks, gardening and religious activities. They grew old together gracefully. Grandpa passed away in his 80s and his last words were to take good care of his wife. Grandma was no longer the same person, sadly, she had lost her will to go on, and passed away a year later.

Most of us would have come across women like these in one form or the other. These women are no different than any of us and yet they did not have one thing that we have today. They were so busy in keeping the family ship afloat, bringing up good men and women, keeping everyone together, supporting their spouse and doing everything that was needed to keep things running at home. They did not have the privilege of time, to rant, regret, analyze, dissect, pity, condemn, judge or even think about what they had to endure. They took one day at a time and moved on.

What we, women of this age have is, time and a lot of it. While we have a millions of opportunities to extend our kindness, empathy, strength and endurance, we over think and rarely do it. Why not let it go(at least the small things), laugh it off and be kind. If it makes things better, well and good, if not, it might save our sanity at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
    33 people like this.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Navs wonderful post. Thanks for sharing.
    Well said. The problem is we have too much time to analyse others mistakes and too little of it to ponder over where we can improve.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navs
    Long time so see!
    I knew that if you wrote something it must be from your heart.
    Wonderful post.
    Not only what JAG quoted above is correct, you last para
    also has summed up everything beautifully.
    Congratulations on the finest post nomination! I have no hesitation in seconding it.

3 people like this.
  4. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Hi Navs,
    An excellent piece of write-up..
    Grandparents are our lives treasure..Their inherent qualities speaks a volume of who they are..I am emotional reading this..miss my grandma :-(

4 people like this.
  5. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Navs dear how are you. Just two days back I was thinking where are you and missing you in IL. Today was so glad to see your thought provoking post which is narrated so well and which every woman should read. We have to learn a lot from our mothers and grand mothers . They are Role Models for us . We dont suffer half of what they have gone through but they were happy in their life. First thing I did was to nominate your post but did not get the idea(getting old na) of giving fb to your post. I am glad that Kkrish and Jasmine have also joined me in nominating this thought provoking post. Before giving fb I sent you a pm but found that your inbox is full . God bless you

Thank you Kamala and Jasmine for joining me in the nomination.

4 people like this.
  6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navs,

Before I write anything else...My Huge Congratulations to you!! Your post has been nominated to the FP of the month not by just one member, but three discerning members...Iyerviji, Kkrish and Jasmine25!:cool2:

You have written about two special ladies here and about their kindness which seems to have made a deep impression on you. I would love to add another lady to them..YOU! Your own kindness and loving perception did not miss out on recognizing the generous nature and kind qualities in your mother-in-law and grandmother. You have observed them closely and recognized their good qualities and have remembered to write about them making them an example for everyone to learn from and imbibe! All that needs a special heart, mentality and kindness!

Your mother-in-law is truly a commendable woman. Is it not what we often discuss in this forum..the cruelty of m-i-ls? The way she ignored the barbs and tended to her m-i-l is an example to learn from. Very hard to follow that act I agree! Nevertheless, if it is going to help one's sanity, worth a thought!!

Reading about your grandmother reminded me of mine! She too went through similar upheavals in life. What amazed me and impressed me was the eternal cheerful attitude she had in spite of it. Whenever I think of my Avva (grandma), all I remember is her sweet smile and her childlike energy and joie de vivre!

L, Kamla

9 people like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Navs,

Very touching story indeed. Older generations of women certainly did not have it easy. If we have our problems and issues today, they had their share of theirs, though those could have been different.

Good to read your fond memories of your grandmothers. Congratulations on the nominations! :-D

1 person likes this.
  8. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Navs..
    Thanks for sharing the lives of of these wonderful women.. not only inspiring but also very practical and applicable in todays world

1 person likes this.
  9. orchidgb

orchidgb Silver IL'ite

nice post about kindness. we have to learn a lot from old generation. i salute for their patience and hard working nature.

1 person likes this.
  10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the fb Justanothergirl :)
    Very well said! time itself is not a problem, we could use the same for positive thoughts.