1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

4 Reasons Why My Weight Loss Plan Stumbled

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Ravikant, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Ravikant

Ravikant Bronze IL'ite

Editor's Note: Thank you Ravikant for sharing this useful post on why weight refuses to nudge because of simple reasons that can be avoided. Your contribution has been selected as Best of Forums and featured here. Please go ahead and share it with your loved ones.

---------------

Hello Everyone,

Members who have visited my weight loss journal would know that I set out to loose some weight and also tighten up my waistline. Recently, things have stumbled a bit for me and I am trying to pick it back up and pull it all together. I want to share the 4 reasons why things stumbled for me.

1. Half Success - This is the main reason why it stumbled. I wanted to reduce my weight from 181 lbs to 160 lbs. I now weigh about 162 lbs. I also wanted to reduce my waist from 38" to 34". I now wear 36" pants. This half-success created complacency in me.

2. Goal mismatch - I wanted to reach 160 lbs and 34". But as you can see, I am almost at 160lbs, but I am still 36" waist. A portion of me was convincing me that I had reached my goal because I have hit my weight target. A portion of me was convincing me that I still have 50% of the way to go in reaching my waist size target. This mismatch and resultant internal debate it easy for my mind to convince me that I don't have to go to workout.

3. Vacation - I went on a week long vacation and didn't workout during my vacation. That created a 9-day gap whereby my body was getting used to the laziness of not having to workout. I don't think the solution is to avoid vacation or workout during vacation, but it is neverthless a factor.

4. Fell Sick - Once I returned from vacation, I went under weather because of changing climate here. I tried to brace the sickness and try to go to the gym. But it was too difficult to run and hence I have to retreat and take another week off from the gym. That gap against added to the vacation created a looong gap.

Did you embark on a weight loss plan and it stumbled? What are the reasons your weight loss plan stumbled? Please share your experiences so that we all can be wiser and not let this happen to us. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014

2. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

Ravikant,

I have enjoyed reading your posts. It is so real and honest!! Quite refreshing!! Not everybody, is able to put their thoughts into words so beautifully. Looking forward to more of your write-ups.

So the reason why I stumbled..Last year I had planned to attend a wedding in the family and a lot of my family members hadn't seen me in years. So I was motivated to "show" my thinner self to them. I was able to reduce about 15lbs. Wedding is over, my visit is over, my motivation is gone and the pounds are back on. I don't think I have admitted to any one about gaining the lbs back. I hate where I am now and what I see in the mirror. But I've realized that it is more of a lifestyle change than a seasonal thing. So slowly introducing changes, that I can keep up with. I've always been known to go head first but this time I am taking it a little easy.The fact that I love to cook and love food, does not help either. Hopefully I will reach my goals. I want to reduce about 40lbs. I know it is a huge number but hoping to get there...someday.

Keep writing...
    Sakshi..:)

3. Ravikant

Ravikant Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sakshi, Thanks for the kind words. 40 lbs might looks like a huge number. But the reality is that when the number is big, it is easier to loose it. It might take you the same effort as someone thinner than you and trying to loose say 10 lbs. All the best!

4. rose82

rose82 New IL'ite

i just started my weight loss diet and exercise plan.But i would like to say i used to exercise for a few days,long time back.Otherwise i had no motivation to really lose weight.My main problem is lack of determination.And that is the root cause of all problems

5. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

even I feel lack of determination and laziness to workout regularly is my cause to... according to my bmi calculation have to be 56kgs.. but from 68kgs can come as far as 65kgs only :( ... again on self pity gorge on food and no exercise... oh its a spiral...

6. AlwaysInAHurry

AlwaysInAHurry New IL'ite

Ravikant,
    Here are my insights:

Wrong Expectations: Thinking of being of the same weight as I was at 16 (hardly 95 lbs at that time). After 2 kids and 22 yars later, come on… Lesson Learned: I had to adjust my attitude.. think realistically.

Trying to deviate from my routine: I am used to eating rice every day. If I stopped eating rice to lose weight, It used to work but eventually I would start eating rice and weight would creep back…. Lesson Learned: Portion control rather than forbidding certain foods.

Trying to compare with celebrities and constantly undermining my own body: Not good for one’s self esteem. It’s their job to look good and thin so celebrities spend time and money on it. I have a full-time job, 2 kids to raise and can only spare an hour every day for workout (some days it’s not possible). I do not have personal chefs to cook for me. On the other hand, I have to cook for the whole family and sometimes, different food for myself if I am following a particular diet which causes me to quit the entire effort. Lesson Learned: Compare yourself with the people you personally know or see often….

Padma.

7. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Ravi, please do not be discouraged. I also want to lose a few pounds (10lbs) but find it very hard. Being in my mid 30's (where metabolism is excruciatingly slow), working full time, trying to finish my MBA part time and taking care of a hubby and 2 kids is really making me think that there is not enough time in the day to take care of myself. Although proper diet is a key element, exercise is also a necessity when trying to get back into shape. Of course we all lose our initial zest for the ultimate goal. But I do not think that we should beat ourselves too much for that. After all we are only human and as long as we get back on track, we should congratulate ourselves for the accomplishments we have thus far achieved.

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Ravi ,

I have read most of your posts and like Sakshi I need to admit that you speak from your heart candidly and one of the best assets in a person is frankness :thumbsup.

Coming back to weight loss, though I have earlier indulged in healthy weight loss programs like yoga, converting to a vegan but I find that work takes a heavy toll and I lose interest either because I am so much loaded at work that the sight of treadmill puts me off or my cravings take me over and I starting gobbling all the wrong kind of fats.

I am happy that you have achieved your goal as even 50% is a good achievement according to me when it comes to weight loss and I wish that you don't relinquish your desire to turn fit and carry on with a vengeance on ..:thumbsup:thumbsup

9. SamriddhiD

SamriddhiD New IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

Do you keep on finding yourself stumbling on your weight loss plan? Well, Ravikant has some interesting thoughts on it which you will find useful. You can also read the article here and share it with others who are on the same boat as you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014