1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Let's recap 2014 from a fitness perspective and make 2015 goals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Laks09, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,As the year come to an end lets recall what we achieved in 2014 and put down our desires for 2015. I'll go first, 2014 was a tumultuous year from a personal perspective but I've gained a lot of insights and have resolved a lot for 2015. From a fitness perspective, I'll say 2014 was a success. All I wanted was to lose that extra baby weight and run a 5k. Well I did better. Not only did I lose all the baby weight and get to pre pregnancy weight, I ran a 5k, two 10ks and God willing will run my second half marathon by the year end. This is coming from someone who started the couch to 5k program last December and couldn't run even one lap around the indoor track(1 lap is 0.1 mile, now if I go there I do 50 laps for short runs). For 2015, I wish to run one half every quarter and complete the weights program that I've started. I wanted to start training for a marathon by mid year but I don't think I will. I'm going to stay at the HM distance and continue gaining strength and increasing pace. I'd like to wish all my friends on the fitness forum all the very best for 2015. Remember, no matter what you achieved or didn't this year, we have all learned a lot over the past twelve months. Something that each of us here will practise and also share with others on their fitness journey. I hope we continue to inspire and motivate each other in the new year. If any of you have any exciting challenges that we can run in the new year, I'm all ears. I have some in mind too. Regards,L

18 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09,

Buddy, you have been with me throughout the year and still want a recap. i am sure it will fun, learning and discovering more about ourselves, and also from others experiences and successes here.

fitness perspective i would split into three for me as all the three were important and would be even going ahead from here. Phyiscal fitness, emotional fitness and family fitness.

I started 2014 with the challenge like the one in this picture..exactly the same, coming from a very traumatic 2013 with lots of setbacks, shocking ones, depressing ones that took a lot out me.
    . images (2).jpg

2014 -
    Early 2014, My son was still recuperating after his surgery in 2013. and his board exams were coming up x. i was in that fix where i was in a perennial exhaution because of handling his needs and other things. being on my toes watching for symptoms, keeping him healthy was my priority, but around march i was under pain and had to bow down to check with my gynaec, who suspected the C, and put me on rigorous tests and my son's exams were going on. i went for the first test and it did not show a clear picture, and i said i will wait till his exams are over and then i got a clear chit in the end of march. i said no i am not going down because of a little scare, (I was thinking of @sunnaa at this point, you have to be in a position to understand how inspiring somebody can turn out to be. i used to just smile when few of my friends use to say that i was inspiring, and they would think what would S do in this situation..i perfectly understood that moment.). inspite of all this i kept with eating healthy and motivating others to try it too and made this thread as a accountable journal for myself, http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...hape/241203-indian-lunch-ideas-sans-rice.html more friend's joining me in this journey kept me committed, and proved to be a blessing to keep my diet in focus.

i walked a lot. i could not do anything else. kept gaining a few kg or two and losing it on and off. but it was the way things were always with me so i was not detered. but i have become fitter, amidst the restrictions my health conditions place on me. i could wither a few sickness with a better outcome.

with the proper diet and simple exercise i could bring down a few numbers on my blood work.my cholesterol level that went on a northward journey due to a side effect of some medicines given, and my doctorwanting to start statins in 3 months if i could not find the improvement in the reading. though i took a little more than 3 months, but they are absolutely very much in control

another surprise from my health check up was my calcium levels, for a person who was not able to have calcium tablets because of some reason, could increase the serum calcium from 7.9 - 9.6 which is a amazing thing. my friend was surprised to see that. i credit it to the diet that i followed. nothing great, but a balanced one.

Emotionally, i went into a very stressful sleepless state, because of lot of things. i brazed myself, learnt to become more calmer, accept that i could not have changed things, and i don't have the gift of going back and re-doing things, and forgive myself for what i felt i could have done better. have become more observant, more understanding and more communicative (this is what the kids say) than before. being at peace with myself is a on-going process, lots of work on that to be done..

shifting to new place, trying to adjust in the smaller, and not so comfortable place was a real pain..but then i have been telling my son that it is a prelude to his hostel life, where things could swing either way.

Family fitness, eating right, drinking loads of water, and understanding the importance of health and being able to accept things, being able to manage their tempers better, their situations better, we have come a little further to the goal..there is more but acceptable that there is lot going on with each of us as individuals.

I am happy with my fitness perspective taking into account all that i endured. Have been called akka. have been asked what did i do to become trim. people being shocked that i have a college going daughter. dd's friend surprised that i am her mom. and compliments were free flowing. even you had a lot of that coming my way..and i cannot forget that hourglass compliment of yours, basking in them too..

Going into 2015 with small SMART goals , that i hope to achieve.
    reduce a few kgs as a family, reducing the stress levels my dd and ds are in due to peer pressure and the education system. 2015-16 is crucial for my son, so it is going to be a roller coaster again, but i am sure we will do it. want to be a little more fit and i know i have to work on it, and i will..not pushing myself into goal boxes. only thing that i know will help me is commitment and not being obsessed or being hard on myself.

images (1).jpg

I know that is too much written, but i needed to purge some of it..thanks laks buddy.. and i am sure i am going to read a few success stories here and be motivated too...keep it coming friends..

10 people like this.
  3. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

2014 was not good for me in terms of weightloss as i gained weight ....I still have some days, i can reduce some weight . Overall it was a good year for me in terms of other things in liFe

2015 : Working towards more better me and learning from previous mistakes , i need to be more attentive .... Workout is a part of me and will continue it in 2015

11 people like this.
  4. Buds

Buds IL Hall of Fame

My response exactly same as SGA's.... Cheers my buddy :cheers

9 people like this.
  5. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

i been coming to this fitness thread from 6 months trying to lose couple of pounds..
    i am trying to workout everyday by walking and trying to do some different workouts.
    i did not lose those extra pounds guess thatswhats matter the most.... but it did make me to workout most of the days and
    trying to follow diet eventhou sometimes i cant help myself....A big change is my family
    members are getting inspired by me i am so happy to share this news.. my brother who use
    to over eat has reduced his food intake and watching over his diet.. my sis whom i mentioned earlier in one of the post has been watching her diet too.. so over all eventhou i didnt lose any weight but i can see some change when i put clothes on..me working out is helping my family to have healthy life style...

i want to shed that stubborn weight in the coming months.... and i want to keep working out to keep myself and others active and in good shape..

Finally Thank you one and all for giving me support and advices in continuing this journey..

8 people like this.
  6. reh

reh Platinum IL'ite

2014 was good in terms personal life and work. Started 2014 with a great plan for fitness. We had to relocate to different country all of a sudden . Planning for shifting ,finishing off current assignment, sons school , shopping , packing and vacating house- all these had an impact on fitness. New country , house hunt, school for son, settling down - added .

Tried hard to workout , maintain good diet .. not bad . started working in new country .. still struggling and managing work , 4 hrs up and down travel, kids , cooking back to back kids falling sick because of climate change.

2015 - need to be more organised and devote more time for fitness and continue to achieve good results.

9 people like this.
  7. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

reh , we had a similar 2014 :). Mid 2014 , we did furnishing our apartment and house warming and shift there :) .

Started 2014 with a great plan for fitness. We had to relocate to different country all of a sudden . Planning for shifting ,finishing off current assignment, daughter's school , shopping , packing and vacating house- all these had an impact on fitness. New country , house hunt, school for DD, settling down - added

6 people like this.
  8. sandstar

sandstar Gold IL'ite

I recollected my fitness achievement post way back 2012. I was happy to see myself so organised to lose weight.
    Again in Dec 2014, after my pregnancy, maternity and post delivery part, am again in the same old "Jan 2012" weight..
    :eek:mg:

Am currently 84 kg
    Short term goal : looking forward to shed some weight before April (wen i have my sister's wedding). want to look nicer.
    By the end of 2015 : want to be fit and have good exercise and eating habits. lose 12 kgs.
    Thanks Indusladies friends for being with me!

3 people like this.
  9. reh

reh Platinum IL'ite

Hi rmpriya

Let us aim for 2015 and have a wonderful year for fitness

5 people like this.
  10. sujathagokul

sujathagokul Gold IL'ite

wow, nice thread laks, it's really good to read all the success stories, new challenges for the newyear.
    Shanvy mam as always u r inspiring, with lots of things going around & still motivating us so long , thank u mam, i was a silent reader of ur thread. only will your menu's only my weight came down.
    Reh so long dint c ur posts, very busy?

my weight loss journey this year was a real success. i came down from large to small size. this all hpnd bcous of ILties, thank u each & everyone.
    my newyear goal is to tone up my body with healthy diet & be consistent in everything .

4 people like this.