1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flying with 10 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by prachipalwe, Nov 16, 2015.

1. prachipalwe

prachipalwe New IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to travel to US in next month with my 10 month old baby boy .. Luckily my husband will be with me . My baby is formula feed .. And he is teething, so all time cranky and fuss all the time . I have so many questions in my mind please help me :
    1. He sleeps in his indian style swing in day time . The swing have stands n it is foldable .. Can i take it with me ? In my luggage? Coz i know i m going to need it because he does not sleep well.. :(
    2. Can i give him medicine to fell asleep during the flight? Anyone of you ever tried?
    3. Some times my baby throw up not small burp .. The huge amount.. What if it happens in flight?
    4. He never enjoy his car rides also , i m so worried how i am going to handle the whole journey?

I'm a kind of person who never want to trouble anyone else and i think I'm going to trouble other passengers on flight with baby cry and all the discomfort. Please help me what to do .

2. vani098

vani098 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

They are many flights with swing r a baby cot .it's god idea to ask ask your airline or travel agent if it is possible to book a bassinet on board when booking you'r ticket. This is essentially a small bed for your baby and called by many names baby cot, baby basket, carrycot r cradle.
    usually cot is free of cost just ask once.
    i do't know which airlines u r traveling in. here are few flights that baby cot is available

KLM, LUFTHANSA, BRITISH AIRWAYS, SCANDINAVIAN AIRLINES, DELTA, AIR CANADA, ICELAND AIR, JAPAN AIRLINES, UNITED AIRLINES, CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, AMERICAN AIRLINES, FINNAIR, SINGAPORE AIRLINES, CATHEY PEcAFIC..........ETC

More are there if u'r flight is nt in this ask them. All the best n Happy Journey

3. prachipalwe

prachipalwe New IL'ite

Thank you so much vaani.. Ur info is really helpful.. Will chk with my airline whn i book the tickets ..

4. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

Yes baby bassinets are avail inside flight only .. Have u booked bassinet row ticket u need this row perticularly to use bassinet ..I don't think so ur allowed to use ur swing they won't accept..

it wil be so small there is height limit for each airlines confirm with airlines ..

my baby couldn't fit since she is tall for her age so we count use it when she is 11 mon old ..

To use car seat inside the flight u need to book separate ticket ( untill 2 years ticket is free for children on lap ) ..

Sorry no medicine for baby to sleep I never heard of any thing ..

dont worry about other passengers if u book bassinet row all passengers besides u are having kids r old age people so noice is common from kids they understand ..

kids throw up in journeys common treat like usual keep plenty of small thrash bags n tissues with in diaper bag ..feed water .. Get warm water from home don't use flight water for baby ..get bottled water if necessary ..

happy journey ..

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Time your baby's feeding so that he is taking his bottle during take off and landing as the sucking action will help with ear pressure problems that are the number one cause of babies crying. Normally the motion of the plane puts babies to sleep so you have that going in your favor.

Lots of things can be taken in luggage but call the airlines and find out size limits for checked luggage and the cost if it has to fall under air ship category. If it is like $100 then just buy a new swing here in USA and forget the hassle of carrying it.

The airlines provide safe bottled water on flights, no need to carry special water.

You might want to carry some items that you can throw away if your baby vomits. Carry also a few plastic bags for disposing of this. The water in the airplane bathrooms I would not use for washing a baby's face so figure out what you are going to do to clean him up.

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Prachiapalwe

I understand your concerns. I was super nervous when I was travelling from US to India with my 1 yr old for the first time. It is good you are not alone.

1. You can definitely carry your swing in your check-in bag if you want to use in US.
    For carry on, some flights allow some foldable carry cots in carry-on to use in flight. Emirates does that. Better to call & check your airlines. Also most airlines provide bassinet but you need front seat( don't remember what is it called may be bassinet seats).
    Most airlines bassinet seats are free..no extra changes but you need to book and reserve seats early. Then bassinet itself can be first come, first serve or availability basis ( in emirates) .
    Some flights through Europe charge extra for bassinet.
    But one thing - Bassinet is big help.

2. I would not advise to give medicines for sleep. But do take tylenol/benadryl extra in flight in ziplock bags. Kids do cry a lot while taking off/landing. Try to feed or distract that time. Also I think kids do sleep a lot in flight. First they get tired of running, looking around or crying. Then flying plane gives them that rocking motion.

3.Most kids do that. Take lot of burp cloths( small towel kinds) in your diaper bag. Also If you carry multiple bags like handbag, diaper bag and additional, keep them in all for ease.
    I had put small quantities of formula/diapers/extra socks,shirt/pants etc basic stuff in all the carry-ons and it was proud of my act later in flight.

Do take lot of extra clothes. In my case, everything cloth was used. Take 1/2 jackets as it will be cool in flight and its v cold in US. Take 1-2 blankets ..also to spread down on floor anywhere so kid could play

4. Do not worry. It is far easy to fly with an infant than a toddler. You are not alone. Keep some fav toys and books. My 12 yr old did not even look at any as she was too busy socializing the people.

Oh..just an FYI.. Our Emirates had really really small toilets and diaper station was super small and inconvenient. For us, it was extremely difficult to keep her distracted from panicking of closed bathroom and not have her hurt while moving in bathroom and also change her. So to minimize diaper changes during flight, we were alos changing just before flight ( in airport bathrooms)

7. prachipalwe

prachipalwe New IL'ite

Thank you so much .. Feeling positive now.. Ur info and support means a lot.. :)