1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to US 7 months kid....

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ramya_psk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. ramya_psk

ramya_psk Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,
    i am planning to travel to US this month.I have lot of queries,only my IL friends can solve:help.I have listed it below

1.Can i carry milk powder(NAN 1) and cerelac in my hand luggage along with all my kids medicine?
    2.Is flask allowed in flight,though they provide me hot water it will be difficult in transit (2 transit)
    3.Do I need any prescription for the medicine.
    4.What other stuff i need to carry...

Guys pls clear my doubt...
    eagerly waiting for ur reply.

Thanks&regards
    Ramya

2. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

hi,
    1.yes you can.but be prepared to open and show if needed explanation and have it in original cover
    2.you can try your luck.no harm in bringing.but will it be hot for so long..and there is danger of breakage of the inside material.so think about it.
    3.i had prescription..just in case..
    4. bring all you babu must-haves to survive initially.later you can buy locally-medicine,few toys,rattle,socks,dress,bath needs,towel,diaper cream,extra bottle/teether,bibs,kajal(if you use),diaper,wipes,changing mat,stroller,woolencap,milk powder,snacks(if needed)

3. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Ramya just wanted to add a point - instead of thermos, you can bring some currency (used in the country of transit) or global credit card and use it in the coffee shops or any other shops in the airport which sell hot beverages to purchase a cup of hot water. Most coffee shops will give you hot water for free especially if you just tell them you need water for your baby's formula.

-L.

4. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

travelling to US with 11 month olds

Hi everyone,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I will be returning to US with my twins in about a month's time and I am getting the travel jitters already.Can anybody please share their experiences travelling with 11 month old?Any suggestions you might have will also be helpful.

How did you manage the solid feeds?Both are formula fed.Is carrying a flask of hot water helpful or would you recommend the ready-to-feed bottles?

Is the bassinet really comfortable for them?

Is there anything which needs to be brought from US? I have to ask my husband to bring stroller (at least one if it fits in a suitcase-btw can we bring an umbrella stroller as luggage?).I hope one of the twins will be comfortable with the stroller.

Any snacks which 11 month olds like? Here they like the milk bikis.

Has anyone tried to give their infants a sponge bath during their transit hours.I have a 5 hour wait in Frankfurt.I know they have a nursery/changing station in Frankfurt.Do they other facilities? My son has dry skin and he definitely will need a change of clothes.

Thank you.

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Riditi, are you traveling alone or with somebody?

I'll skip the feeding question, as when I traveled withou a two month old, I was breastfeeding.

Bassinet - it depends on the airlines - I liked the British Airways bassinet but not the one that United has. Just the way they were made - but it was just me.

Frankfurt airport has family changing rooms where you can give a sponge bath, change clothes, feed the baby etc. We did that. Make sure you bring more than one change of clothes with you on the plane.

Good luck.

Raj

6. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

Riditi,

Bless your heart for traveling with Twins!!!. I did it with one and I was exhausted. I think I was more petrified of the thought of being by myself than the reality. My princess did really well compare to what I had expected.

Now coming to feeding- I flew with Lufthansa. Any time I had to feed(bottle-fed) my princess, I would ask one of the flight attendents to warm the water and they did so. So I had no issues with it. I am a little anal about filter water, so I made sure i had plenty. Food- they have some bottled food on the flight, you can ask for it. Mine liked the fruits more than the vegetables. It is more like Gerber, only a bigger jar. You can also ask for yogurts and they are more than happy to give them to you. But she didnt eat much. I had other cookies and snacks..to chew on. Cheerios, raisins are good snacks that will keep the babies occupied.Some books if she got bored..but my princess was more interested in standing the in the Bassinet and watching people.

I liked their Bassinet ok. It is not like the crib at home..but it works. My princess is a little tall for her age, so she barely fit in there. But it was ok. No issues. They give you small pillow and a blanket. so the baby is quite comfortable. My daughter was running a fever, so i had given her some fever medication that made sleep. If you are not keen on giving your babies some tylenol to make them sleep, then make sure you have some one to help you with the babies. My doc did not think there was anything wrong with giving a low dosage of tylenol, even if she was not sick. So its your choice. Since your baby has dry skin, i would lotion him up anytime he is awake. Flight air makes the skin drier

I think they do let you carry umbrella strollers. I myself didnt carry one. i could not. I got one of those slings (Hip-hammock) that you can carry your child around and that worked great for me. I didnt have to worry about if she was running around or keep up with a stroller, diaperbag, my purse..etc. So you might want to get that...but remember to dress your baby in light clothing as sitting in that hammock can get warm. Now this all depends on how much your babies weigh. Mine did not weigh too much so it was easy for me to tug her around.

Apart from that I would suggest you to bring some extra shirts or kurtis for yourself. You never know when spit ups can happen. I wore jeans just for comfort. Salwar with dupatta was too cumbersome. One more thing i had to learn was to not think about others. I mean, my princess was talking and making all these noises and i tried to hush her..but she is a baby and others just have to understand. I have no clue how many times i apologized..but ..you cant stop a baby from talking if they want to. But the flight attendents were really nice, they would watch my baby, if i had to use the bathroom or anything. so it worked out great for me.

If still nursing- remember to carry some breast pads..I did not and had to regret it...

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions..
    Love,
    Sakshi.

7. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I travelled when my daughter was around 9 months old.

I took Cerelac,Nan2 along with me .Also a flask,refilling it with the hotwater by asking the flight attendants.You may carry some gerber foods and milk bikis too if you wish.

I travelled by BA and the bassinets are really comfortable.But one thing you will not let them sleep there for the whole journey,due to turbulence and everything they ask you to put in your lap with the seat belt.So I found it easier to be in my lap than the bassinet,as it was disturbing her sleep.

And as you said you may have some clothes too to change in the transit time.

Hope this helps

8. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

One more suggestion-During take offs and landings, when you have your baby on your lap, make sure that they are drinking something. That helps with the change in the air pressure and avoids ear aches. So you might want to keep a bottle ready during such times.

9. Riditi

Riditi New IL'ite

thanks guys for your tips and suggestions.

I have the sling(which you can carry on your shoulder) but I did not like it and I also think my twins will not be comfortable in that.

I am sure I 'll have more questions and I'll need your help.

thanks again.

Riditi.

10. akshu02

akshu02 Senior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Looking for help again..I would be travelling with my 7 month old kid to PA, US next month ALONE. I am very worried about travelling alone with her. I have 2 options of airlines to go with either Jet Airways or British Airways. Incase of Jet, i would have to travel 2-3 more hours to reach my place. With BA, i can book it upto PA. I heard around that BA is good to travel with toddlers(not sure abt infant). My questions are :

Which of the above airline is infant travel friendly?

I have been feeding her solids for the past 1 month(homemade purees). Is it possible to take homemade baby food in the flight?

Can i take gerber jars/water for infants in the hand luggage?

Do kids sleep off during most of the flight? LO is usually not fussy but i am tempted to give her some drops to put her to sleep(My friends usually do so). Havent done this personally so far. (Would feel guitly if i do this as well)

I am planning to take a baby carrier. Would i need a stroller as well?

Sorry about the long post. Please let me know your experiences/suggestion.

Thanks