1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Winter skin care tips

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by kavithanandakishore, Nov 30, 2007.

1. kavithanandakishore

kavithanandakishore New IL'ite

BEFORE GOINTO BATH MIX A 1TSP OF COCONUT OIL IN WATER AND FINISH YOUR BATH. YOUR SKIN WILL BE SMOOTH FOR A GOOD RESULT TRY AT LEAST 5 DAYS

2. kavithanandakishore

kavithanandakishore New IL'ite

3. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

good info.

thanks for posting.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Read these posts too::::
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/indians-in-canada/118537-required-tips-skin-care-winter.html

1. Exfoliate Your Skin. Before you take a shower you need to remove old dead skin from your body. This allows the fresh new skin beneath to breathe and absorb moisture. Get yourself a good natural bristled body brush and use large sweeping motions to massage your skin. You'll also be helping to stimulate blood flow and help reduce cellulite as an added bonus.

2. Use sun screen. Sun screen wasn't just invented for summer time use. We should be protecting our skin from harmful sun rays all year long. Dangerous UV rays are actually stronger in the winter and can be far more damaging to your skin if left exposed. There are cosmetic companies now including UV ray protection in their foundations such as Cover Girl TruBlend Powder Foundation Sunscreen. It works like a sunscreen but its still make-up.

3. Apply moisturizer. The cold outdoors is not the only thing that dries out your skin. The air indoors is much drier due to heaters being run and lack of fresh outside air being circulated inside. The only way to combat that is to apply moisturizer. It's best to apply an all-over body moisturizer at least twice a day; once in the morning and once before bed. A real good all-over moisturizer is Eucerin or Lubriderm. Both of these moisturizers are fairly cheap in price and can be found in any drugstore, Wal-Mart or Target stores. Eucerin also has a moisturizer that has added SPF sun blocking agents. If you've got money to spend then give the Neutrogena SPF 15 moisturizer a try as it does a great job at soaking right in to your skin without the added oils.

4. Use Carmex or other Lip Balm. It gets very easy to neglect our lips when we spend all day yacking or stuffing our faces but protecting our lips is very important. To keep your lips from getting chapped the first thing you should do is stop licking them. When you repeatedly lick your lips you are actually removing moisture and causing them to get even more chapped. To eliminate the huge red ring around your mouth rub a little Vaseline on the area before going to sleep.

5. Use sleeping time to replenish the moisture in your hands and feet by applying moisture and sleeping with socks and gloves on. You can wear socks on your hands as well as your feet but be sure they are 100% cotton. I prefer Haynes cotton socks but brand doesn't really matter. Cu rel makes a moisturizer that works well on both hands and feet but let me tell you about a secret product I recently found at Target.

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

~*~Winter Tips for Hair, Skin,Hands, Nails,Legs, Lips~*~

Winter is just not about warm clothes, fireside reading, snuggling close to the pillows wrapped from head to toe with a comfy quilt. It is time to battle the cold winds that hampers your body and hair. A little care will keep the wintry troubles at bay.
    Hair...
    Before the winter winds can work havoc with your hair, expose your hair to deep conditioning. Since the cold weather causes to dry your hair, massage your hair in aloe Vera juice for a few minutes. This will restore its softness.

You can also treat your hair with oil massage once or twice a week Olive oil can work wonders in reinforcing moisture to your hair. Heat the oil before using and allow it to soak for a time lesser than the time you allot for the summer season. Too long a period of soaking hair in oil can get you ill. If you are used to treating your hair with herbal extracts or herbal oil do not soak it for a long time. Herbal ingredients are mostly cooling agents that are more suitable for the summer. Keep away from washing your hair too frequently.

Woolen clothing like hats, scarves and turtlenecks can cause damage to your hairline. Since they can cause breakage, first cover your hair with a silk scarf before exposing it to winter wraps.

It is the appropriate time for split ends to work their way up to the hair shafts. Hence trim your split ends.

Style your hair with a braid, twist or a knot. Try Keeping away from letting your hair open and wild, as the cold winds can play rough on your hair.

Avoid exposing your hair to frequent coloring, streaking, or ironing as they can rob your hair off its moisture and it is advisable to avoid heating appliances on your hair.

Expose your hair to natural drying. Keep away from blow dryers. If you have to use, use one with a hood.

Always cover your hair with a silk fabric to guard it from the chill winds.

Skin...
    Your skin texture depends not only on external treatments, but also on the intake. A proper nutritious intake helps in rejuvenating the skin from within. Water plays an important role in keeping your skin alive. A good amount of water helps in retaining the moisture of your skin as well keeping skin disorders at bay. Fruits and vegetables in your daily diet release a lot of water to your system. Primrose syrup and olive oil in your diet also aids in softening your skin.

Use the paste of besan & ground green gram powder instead of soap to work your way to a soft and supple skin.

Pamper you skin with a little coconut oil before bath to heal dryness and chaps. Use a creamy soap that renders that extra suppleness to your skin.

Moisturizers and cold creams are a must in the winters. Apply some good cold cream on your face before going to bed. Moisten your skin with a good moisturizer or a creamy hand and body lotion. My best buy is ' Jergens' hand and body lotion.

Add a few drops of oil to the water that you are using to bath. This will help retain the moisture lost when bathing. Avoid using very hot water during winter as it can decrease the natural oils of your skin. Instead shorten your bath time.

Hands, legs and nails...
    When treating your legs add a few drops of oil in the water that you use to soak them. With regards to hands, try using rubber gloves while immersing them in water. Use a base coat over your nails against the cold weather.

Lips...
    A good petroleum jelly will be an effective cover over your lips against the cold weather. Butter is effective in curing chapped lips and render an extra softness.

So get ready to shield your body against the winter threats.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->

1 person likes this.
  6. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear most Sunkan ji,

A need of the hour. Thank you very much for having elaborately sketching out on different brands targeting their economic value.

I use Vaseline intensive care total moisturizer for my hands and legs and i feel its working good.

As you have rightly pointed out, many a time we tend to neglect and pay less attention to our lips. I never knew that we should not continuously wet our lips. Thank you once again for having bringing this aspect into light. I do use a Vaseline lip balm.

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

7. smithakiran

smithakiran New IL'ite

Hi,

I am new to this site and i found very valuable info about various things. I am in US and i would like to know a good moisturizer for face that can be applied at night times. I found ponds cold cream in walmart but that is not the same as we get in India. can anyone suggest a good brand?

8. devu

devu New IL'ite

Re: ~*~Winter Tips for Hair, Skin,Hands, Nails,Legs, Lips~*~

thanks mam for sharing those info....
    cheers n regards...

9. keerthanaraj

keerthanaraj Bronze IL'ite

winter skin care

Hi friends,

Pls suggest me a good face wash (not a cleanser)that can be used for winter and also helps preventing occasional breakouts...... I have a normal to dry skin....I'm in great confusion to choose the right brand....

Most of the brands i find here in US are described as cleansers... Are these the same as face washes???

I'm eagerly waiting for your suggestions...:confused2:

keerthana

10. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Re: winter skin care

Hi keerthana,

Cleansers are the same as Face wash, just that they are termed Differently here in US. i would vote for Cetaphil or Aveeno which are available in the market, they do a great job without drying out the skin.

Meanwhile anyday i prefer ground moongdhal(with skin) as a scrub mixed with milk once daily .... it helps a great deal in maintaining a smooth and clear skin.
    I wash my face twice daily one with a cleanser and at night i use the moongdhal regime, also after washing my face i immdly apply a moisturiser with a SPF 15 or more.

Hope u find this info helpful

vaidehi