1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

if you breastfed your toddler....

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by tikka, Oct 20, 2008.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

...how did weaning go for you?

a: Was it child initiated or mother initiated
    b: if mother initiated did you do so to set right something like perhaps insufficient food intake or sleepless nights
    c: how long before you could complete weaning or your LO weaned
    d: Did you wean in the second year, third year, fourth year...
    e: If it is mother initiated did your LO protest
    f: If you lived in an ideal setting, with great support from family and if your child would have wanted to nurse, how long would you have wanted to nurse (hypothetical I know).

It turns out, my family is getting very uncomfortable that I have not taken the first step towards weaning and am leaving it to K. We have plans of getting K into somekind of structured atmosphere (like preschool or playgroups) where he will not have DH or me to gentle discipline. My family is very afraid my LO might fare very badly in schools. (My instinct says no.)
    When things get ugly during a meltdown, I can nurse him to calmness, instead of letting him cry it out. To me, it is a great thing, but I can understand it can be difficult in a school/day care like situation if mommy is not around.

It turns out my DH is getting a little hot under the collar about extended nursing. Now, I can fight my family or DH's family off on weaning, but him! I NEED his support, but weaning a child just on that basis seems so unfair to the child. What are your thoughts on this. Mommas, I am all ears.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012

2. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Hi krithika..
    how old is ur LO? i think he is around 1 year 10 months am i right? not sure.. i think i read this somewhere.
    i started weaning my daughter when she was exactly 2 years old and I was done in about a month to 40 days completely. my family helped me thoroughly. Kutty cried out very bad.. poor one.. especially in the nights.

a: Was it child initiated or mother initiated
    mother initiated
    b: if mother initiated did you do so to set right something like perhaps insufficient food intake or sleepless nights
    thought she was too too very clingy. i should say after i stopped i started seeing lot of independence in her. she is still a shy kid, but she explores more these days in her own style.
    c: how long before you could complete weaning or your LO weaned
    nearly 2 months as i said before
    d: Did you wean in the second year, third year, fourth year...
    2 years
    e: If it is mother initiated did your LO protest
    lottttsss... can be done easily if family people are supportive. should be difficult if someone is not able to replace you in your absence
    f: If you lived in an ideal setting, with great support from family and if your child would have wanted to nurse, how long would you have wanted to nurse (hypothetical I know).
    i thought 2 years was ideal. her paed recommended this time, as much as she recommended me not to wean her before 2 years. in fact her paed was the one who encouraged me in exclusive BF till she was 6 months old.. never letting me give up. so i like her pattern a lot and so trusted her blindly.

I am not recommending anything to you.. i have seen in your posts that you do lot of research for even our kids.. so you must have sure done enough analysis in this case. do whatever you feel is right for your LO. the process is tough to the mom as much as it is to the LO. in fact when my LO used to cling to my MIL soon after weaning was complete, i was sooooo upset. i used to pick up fights with my DH for silly reasons. its tough, but this will pass too.. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi there Krithika,

I am not qualified really to respond to your post, but I just wanted to offer you some support. If things were ideal, I would have liked to BF for at least 2 years (that was my DH's and my goal) but as things turned out with DS' jaundice and latching problem with my flat nipples and all that I took to pumping. Even that I had to stop at 15 months since I got really busy at work and we had no one to help.

If K is eating reasonably well, there is no need to wean based on the nutrition argument. In fact based on all the literature I have read, composition of BM varies and adapts to the nutritional needs of the child, even the toddler. There was a website kellymom.com that had a lot of of the actual nutrition beyond 1 year or so. Especially given K was a preemie (remember reading that somewhere) his real (!) age is less than what he is now... You've also mentioned that he has allergies, so I can't think of a better reason to continue.

However if you are inclined to stop, maybe you can assess your current schedule and see where you can cut back with least resistance. If you nurse on demand, do you do so when he is upset or stressed? If so, maybe instead of nursing you can try another way to calm him down. Maybe hug hime and rock him or do something that is soothing? This will also help him get used to the play school setting.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your response ladies, sometimes I feel so lonely as I know very few moms giving BM beyond the first year. So great to know there are many more around.

You are absolutely right. It is the nights I am so afraid of. My first goal was 4 months, then 6, then 1 year, somewhere along I thought why not leave it to the LO. Till 14 months, K was nursing between 10 to 14 times a day (Yes, like a new born!) in addition to two solid meals. Between then and 18 months he went down to 4 without me doing a thing, adding a couple more here and there if he is ill or teething. But he has stalled at this for the last 4 months and my DH thinks we should give him a nudge.
    Sending you a PM!
    I thought I recognised the first sentence, have I read it in kellymom? I wonder. Thanks Girl. I needed that reminder. I got tonnes of help from KM, Dr J Newman and others listed there in the first few days and is perhaps one of the reasons I here at (almost) 2 yrs, still nursing.

I thought I will go the the do not offer, do not refuse route. And yet he does want. Yesterday, I could not nurse immediately and the crestfallen face was so guilt tripping me. The minute I got free and reminded him, he practically jumped down from his chair and ran to his favorite nursing spot.
    But I am ready to scale down the night nursing of x2/3. Let me start with the early morning one, just give him breakfast straight away and then nurse if he wants.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008