My Dwarika Yatra

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jaishree9, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Last weekend we visited Dwarikadham Somnath& Nageshwer Jyotriling .
    It was a programme made on spur of moment.
    Actually I have been saying from last 2-3 years to my DH to visit Dwarika Dham & it materialized suddenly.
    Dwarikadham was the Capital of Lord Krishna after he left <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Mathura</st1:City></st1:place> when the Mahabhart war finished. & here in Prabhas area he left his worldly body.

There are four Dham in Hindu pilgrimage – Dwarika ,Jaganathpuri, Badrikasham & Rameshweram.
    Dwarika is situated in Gujarat at the extreme end of Indian border where land & <st1:place w:st="on">Arabian Sea</st1:place> met.
    We went by road it was a long journey of about one thousand kms.From our place. First we went to Ahmedabad from there to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Rajkot</st1:City></st1:place> & than Jamnagar & Dwarika.
    We reached there in the evening.
    The journey was very good as it was time of rainy season with all greenery & <st1:place w:st="on">Gujarat</st1:place> is such a prosperous state .
    At <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Jamnagar</st1:place></st1:City> we saw the Ambani’s reliance refinery & all other industries. What a vision & achievement Dherubhai Ambani had achieved & left such a legacy for his sons as well as nation.
    Dwarika as such is a small township .
    The Famous temple is of Dwarikadhees ( Lord Krishna ).
    The temple is said to be 2500 -3000 years old & is still standing good.
    When I see such old temples & forts so big & so high that it looks like its flag is touching the clouds I really wonder about the so old technology how they built these without the modern equipments, how they transported the materials & what a beautiful architecture and here we with all modern technologies & engineers & architect level our buildings life 100 to 200 years only.
    The <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Temple</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Shikhar</st1:placeName></st1:place> is 158 feet high ,on one side it has seven stories ( for seven puri ,It is a dham as well as puri ) And one side four storys for four Dham. )
    The flag 9 Dhwaja ) at the top is 52 meters long & this is the only temple where the flag is changes four times a day in all other temples it is ones a year occasion. The guide told us that for this there is advance booking of almost 6 months.

The stone looks porous but t has stand facing storms ,sea winds ,sun & moon from almost three thousand years. By looking at temple we could appreciate that it did look very very old ,standing there from almost 2-3 thousand years..
    The statute of God is Very Very beautiful ,very serene & we had an early morning mangla arti darshan.
    In temple there are small temples of eight main Queens of Lord <st1:place w:st="on">Krishna</st1:place> & Radha . But due to a curse from Rishi Durvasa ( famous for his short temper & anger ) Rukmani is not among them. She had a separate temple few kms away.
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Temple</st1:placeType> of <st1:placeName w:st="on">Balram</st1:placeName></st1:place>, Guru Durvasa & Sudama are here.
    Shankaracharya piith is also there.
    The Main gate from which we entered is called swargadwar ( Hevenly Gate ) and another on opposite site is Moksha dwar . From here pilgrimages steps down to 52 steps & below is a river Gomati ( It is different than one in UP ) this is meeting sea here & so at here people do pooja of Sangam & Deepdan. It was a very beautiful breathtaking site one side the sea was spread & river was rushing to meet it.
    The ultimate destination to give oneself completely . The union of Parmatama & Atma- one in other .Aham Brhamismi ( i am brimbha ) The pholosphy of Hinduism.

There small shops with all articles related with pooja ,CDs,Photos ,Prasad & all as we find at every pilgrimage place.
    From here we went to see <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Rukmani</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Temple</st1:placeType></st1:place> & bat dwarka .
    The bat dwarika is on island about 30 kms from dwarika & we went by boat. It is said that this was the Capitol of Lord Krishna & and he knew that Kalyug is approaching & it wud not survive so he drowned it in sea & hence the present dwarka.
    There was also a very old temple mainly of wood & same Dwarkadhees was here in main temple.
    From here we went to Nageshwer jyotriling which is about 20 kms & Somnath jyotriling ( there are twelve jyotriling in India ) about 250 Kms next day.
    That I wud cover separately .

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaishree,

Lovely blog ,loved reading it .The reason being my Mom just went there as one of the places to visit on a pilgrimage and when you wrote about it ,it felt like I have visited the place myself. You have so meticulously penned every thing .Great descriptions!!

Thanks for sharing it Jaishree. Shall share this with Mom.She'll be happy!!:))

Love,
    Devika

3. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Devika
    Thankyou for such a prompt FB & appreciating the writing.
    Actually it is more beautiful than I Could describe with my limited power as your mother must have told you.Give my regards to your mother.
    Most of the pilgrimeage places in India have their own spritual feelings & one really enjoy that & for a while turnes away from the normal daily routine of physcial world & finds one closer to GOD.

4. brindhak

brindhak Gold IL'ite

Dear Jaishree Mam,

That was a nice write up !! Really had a virtual Darshan of the temple through your writings !! I admire the name Dwaraka Verymuch...

Thanx for sharing.....

5. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Hi Jaishree,

Very good description and info on Dwaraka.Thanks for sharing

regards

meera

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaishree
    Very good description about your travels.. I have heard about them from my parents and I do agree that they are must see places on a pilgrimage. Thanks for sharing!

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Jaishree,
    You took me to Dwarika through your narration...
    Glad to see that you had good darshan of the Lord..

sriniketan

8. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi jaishree,

been to dwaraka as a kid when my parents took my grandparents...but i really do not remember much..so many thanks for your detailed narration..great to hear u had a good darshan...

Mindi

9. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Brindha
    Thnakyou for reading & appreciating it.Glad that u could enjoy the virtual darshan.
    Regards

10. jaishree9

jaishree9 Silver IL'ite

Dear Meera
    Hello
    Thankyou for your appreciating my yatra & darshan writing.
    Regards