Recipe related queries

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by manju_j, Apr 2, 2005.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: need help

Hi Kashmiraa,

Sorry for the delay. I saw your PM too. Here I give Cashew Ladoos recipe. For Dal Payasam you can search in "Kerala Recipes".OK?

Here we go.

Like Ground nuts we can make Cashew nut balls in two types. One with sugar and another one is with Jaggery.

You can try according to your taste.

Ingredients:

Cashew nuts 100 gm (broken)
    Sugar 50 gms/ Jaggery 75 gms
    A Pinch Cardamam powder (Optional)

Method:

In a pan heat Sugar with out adding water.
    Allow it to melt. That liquid is called 'caramel liquid'
    Just add the cashew pieces in that and switch off the stove.
    Remove it from the flame and make 'ladoos' out of it.
    Serve with a smile.:2thumbsup:

OR

Just pour 1/2 cup water in a pan.
    Put crushed jaggery in that and make 'pagu'
    Pagu means, proper mixture of water and jaggery when both are hot.
    Allow the water to boil and make thick pagu.
    Remove a little by using a laddle, and pour it in a cup of water.
    After that you try to make a small ball out of that 'jaggery cyrup' which you dropped in the water.
    If you can make it. Just throw it on a metal vessel.
    You should hear a sound as if you have dropped a spoon. If you hear, that is the correct consistency.
    You put the cashews and simmer the flame.
    Continue stiring for a few min. till the miture of cashew and pagu is tight enough.
    Remove and make ladoos out of that.

2. krishnaamma

Re: Need Help with Coconut

Hi Hema,

Saw your request. You can make Coconut rice, Coconut Thuvial, Coconut Powder( Thengai Podi), Coconut burfi etc.,

You can try these items.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Re: need help

Hi Kashmiraa,

Welcome to Indusladies! You have such a lovely name.

I see that Sumathy(Krishnamma) has answered your questions. Krishnamma's recipes and tips are good and popular in this site. We also have a resident cookery expert Mrs ChitVish (check Ask ChitVish in Kitchen and Household forum). If you check the recipe index of her recipes, you will find not one but many Kerala style dal payasams. They have been categorised for ease.

May I also suggest that for all your queries (recipe and otherwise), please check the relevant forum and add the question in an appropriate thread, rather than start a new thread. Recipe doubts- you can ask Krishnamma or put them in Ask ChitVish.

regards
    Vidya

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Oats porridge recipe

sheeba

can u tell me wat type of oats u buy??

5. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,

Anyone knows how to prevent mushrooms from leaving water when cooked ?? I don't wash them in lots of water, just wipe with wet towel. I do not add salt to them, cook in high flame only, and also don't cover the pan . I've also tried sprinkling besan, cornflour etc. on them before adding to pan -- still it becomes watery and not been able to make a dry version even once :idontgetit: !
    While serving I simply have to drain out the water & so all flavour also goes down the drain...:icon_frown: .........
    What to do ?

With thanks,
    Dew.

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Dewdrop/Panithuzhi

Nice id...jilllendru oru panithuzhi:)

Okay, for some reason, your queries are interesting. You want to defy nature!! You want to eat onions and not smell, cook mushrooms that do not 'sweat'!! Uhmm...I do not have any solutions to your questions...sadly! But...here is a tip to get a dry saute'd or fried mushrooms...Mushrooms are bound to leave a lot of water when you start to cook them as they have high water content. I cook mine on a high heat ( I generally use a wok, but any pan will do) stirring the mushrooms with a light hand until ALL the water evaporates. Believe me, after some time, the water will evaporate and the mushrooms will be dry. You can then serve or use them as per your wish.
    Best of luck.

L, Kamla

7. krishnaamma

Hi Dew,

I have already answered for your query in 'Cooking tips' and again I saw you asked the same query here too. So please go there and get the answer.:2thumbsup:

8. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Yes Sumathy, by mistake I asked there first , then forgot to delete my post :oops: in that thread.
    I saw your reply there also, and the link. Thanks dear.

With love,
    Dew.

9. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamala,
    Thanks for responding .....will surely try out your method of quick cooking & get back to you.

If I don't ask my silly doubts here , where else would I ask ?? For 'kathukutti's' like me, IL is a second home with warm , encouraging friends [ aunties ?? ] like you, chithra, sumathy etc. wheras I'm too proud to ask my mom now .....when I didn't listen to her pleadings & quietly slipped away from the kitchen whenever she took out an extra set of karandi / kinnam etc. in her quest to teach me .I argued that only if my brother was taught, :evil: I would also learn.........silly, immature me !!
    Thankfully I had some interest left, [ and obviously Kitchen Queen Chitvishji & her treasures are there] so by the time kid came along I could churn out pretty tasty fare ........though hubby poor thing, has had his share of just Maggi noodles & M T R mixes :mrgreen: .
    Don't want to bore you further, so bye for now. By the way, nowadays my brother cooks great ; much much better than me ........... guess his wife is smarter :wink: than my mother was !

Love,
    Dew.

10. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

Re: Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

hi all dear ladies,
    i want to know sambhar recipe.im from mumbai settled in dubai.i love sambhar but cant cook it as well as all the south indians do.i dont know but theres this special taste that comes when i eat sambhar made from any1 whose from the south.is there a special secret or some special way to make that only the south indians know.i dont like to eat sambhar from hotels.it doesnt gv that homely taste.also when i make onion uttappa,it doesnt come out well.my hubby liks it but i cant make it i feel bad when he orders from hotel.i use the presteige non-stick tava to mk it.also i wud like to know how to make rava dosa iddlis.i have idli stand in my house from past 2yrs,but never used it coz i dont know how to put it and where to put it.

please u all r very experienced and gr8 cooks.please help me.i want to suprise my hubby by make onion uttappa and sambhar in the house.

will wait for ur replies.

zeenat rizvi :wink: