1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adieu September, Come November!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya
    I am overawed by your mention of a 12AD (Is the date right?) Saraswathi idol gracing the Navarathri Mantapam. Kambar lived in the 12th Century. That Divine idol should be enough to inspire any musician to scale divine heights in his singing. And TM Krishna is a singer who is forever a highly inspired person and he should be at his best in this Mantapam.
    My spirit has already moved over to Trivandrum!
    Sri

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Good question. Will check the genuine vintage and get back. Thanks for putting me on this trail. And TM Krishna with beard sans beard is again a Renaissance Man, like you among others. Anyway, we have the Sooorya Music Festival starting today where one can recline of comfy chairs, carry the smoothie inside, ask them to adjust the speakers and the cooling. So, we are off to cooler climes to enjoy Sudha Raghunadhan, Alarmel Valli and Sanjay Subrahmanyam over the week. Who ever said Navaratri is all about sundal??

Well, move over to TVM in flesh with the family in tow. We will make it worth the while.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Appa,

enna ippove katcheri pechu arabichutellein... innum markazhi vara veillai.... Here it is done during Rama Navami... great stalwarts are roped in like Yesudas, Sudha Raghunathan, Bombay Jaishree, Aruna Sairam to name a few. In the same stage prior to these people, new comers in the field are also given a chance of say 1 hr to show their skills. Sometimes this become more enjoyable....

Unga oorle engayadhu sweater potta mudiyuma..... Bangalore vango apprum soolungo sweater vendamnu... that too in December early mornings/ late nights... I remember my uncle when you say this. He came with family from Chennai for few days when we were young. He boasted he would have a cold water bath, my father tried to dissuade him but he went on telling that it would not affect him etc etc.... Slowly when evening started, he started shivering with fever and had to wrapped in a blanket and took to the doctor..... Apparum unga kadhai kuda appadi ayidapordhu...Big Laugh
    Ippadi ellam oru alpa asaiya? Adhum indha vaiyasila... oruvatti Ash nu sollarell... oruvatti ella womennu sollarelll.... pavum Indhu mami... koncham naradhar vellai kattavendiyadhu dhan.....:rotfl:hide:

4. Cheeniya

Dear LS
    I have attended these Ram Navami concerts at Bangalore for four long years in the 1970's. I cannot forget those days when people like Lalgudi Jayaraman, TN Krishnan and others used to stay in my house in St Marks Road. Great times indeed! As you say, the singers of the younger generation are simply fantastic. I watch Asianet Star Singer programme regularly and I am mighty impressed with the young singers. Despite crossing mid-sixty, I have not given up singing yet! I start singing the moment my shower opens!

Dreamsukku enna vayasu? I often dream that I am a child in a cradle drinking Glaxo from a feeding bottle! Idhellam thappe kidayathu!
    Sri

5. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir.....

Best regards....

What would I say Sir...Your beautiful post brought a myriad of nostalgic moments alive.......

Come September.......All I knew about that was the song.......and it was used as back ground music for a physical display on our School Sports day.......I re-lived the long practice sessions in our school ground on the hot grueling sun......and all these physical exercises etc is not my cup of tea.....had a tough time......this wimpy little girl.....
    Thanks for the information about the film and about Anbey Vaa.....it again took me to the brilliant performance and dialogue delivery by Nagesh and Karunanidhi.......( Marathadi maamuni ...maanidaney vaa nee....)

Sweaters smelling strongly of naphthelene balls...:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl...
    I laughed non stop Sir........Thank you......:rotfl.....reminded me of two of my Grandfather's buddies......even with the slightest dip in the temperature....sweaters......mufflers........monkey caps.......socks.....kashayams.....vicks and Amruthanjan.....( called as "amurthaanjanam"...:rotfl....)

Wool.....and Knitting.......nice insights Sir......I crochet too...but not with woolen yarn....only acrylics........:)

Glow on the face while identifying raagas....even if it is the easier to identify Mohanam, Thodi and Kaapi.......:thumbsup

A nice post sir.....like a "Time-Machine"......took me back and forth quickly.......

Enjoyed reading it.....:thumbsup

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Come September took me to 1969 to 73 when I was studying in a college staying in the hostel. We managed to make a guy win as the President of the hostel. Having worked so hard for his victory, he gave us the opportunity to decide the mix of songs that would be played in the evening through speakers placed in strategic locations in the hostel. we decided to choose English, Hindi and Tamil songs to alternate. Come September and Around the world in 80 days songs used to be regular. Later, a group of students fought with us to change the songs into Tamil only.

Even here in the US, November and December are active months. From Thanks Giving to Christmas, almost everybody works part time and shopping season starts. The retail stores drop prices so much during that period. The decoration of the houses begin with beautiful serial lights and all of their snow man, rain deer, etc show up in their yard. Every house has Christmas Tree in a prime location and this period makes every child very happy. Prior to that in October, Halloween celebration was a big costume day for children and they walk the street in the evening to collect candies.

Viswa

7. Cheeniya

My dear Bhargavi
    I am happy to hear that my post reminded you of your school days. But your calling them 'nostalgic' brought a smile on my face. I always thought that this word was reserved for superannuated people like me to chew the cud. 'Nostalgia' somehow implied to me that there must be a minimum time span of five decades between the event and its recollection which meant that only people like me and Chitvish were eminently suited to have bouts of nostalgia! I looked in the dictionary and it merely said 'longing for the happy times of the past'. Yet it sounds funny when young women like you talk of nostalgia!

The theme song of 'Come September' was the signature tune of my daily ritualistic bath for nearly two years. It was as indispensable as my cake of soap for my bath! Rock Hudson made us all go green with envy till he died of AIDS. What a cruel fate for him!

I see that you have included Mohanam, Thodi and Kaapi in the list of easily identifiable raagas but I must tell you something about 'Kaapi' though not about the raaga but the beverage (coffee). These days it has become a fashion to identify the powder used in making that awesome beverage. The moment someone takes a sip from the life giving cup, he closes his eyes for a few seconds and inquires in a hushed tone, 'Leo?' or Coffeeday, or Narasu's or Kumbakonam Degree Coffee (Chitvish special that is!).
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    The period that you mention, 1969 to 1973, was probably the most cheerful one in your life, the climax of your college life. I never had a chance to live in a hostel but I have been part of many a racket in the Victoria Hostel in Chennai. 1969 to 1973 was the most hectic period in my Banking career. Everything was done manually those days. We did not have even adding machines. In this period , I was an officer in charge of loans given to Industries in Bangalore. Agarbathi manufacturing used to be the major activity supported by the Bank and I used to dread my inspection of these units. They used innumerable local perfumes in the manufacturing process and after spending a few hours inspecting them, I used to long for some obnoxious smell like methane or ammonia!

It was a joy reading about the winter in the west.You have described the scene in such vivid details!
    Sri

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya sir,

hope you are enjoying your Novemeber weather in Chennai and getting ready to play Santa come December! Your description of how you dislike wearing sweaters reminds me of teenagers here who want to be macho and so go around in shorts in peak winters with socks and sandals! I am sure every child wears a nice thermal undershirts but love to act like he is too cool:) It is funny the way you say how Chennaites can take their sweaters out at the slightest onset of cooler weather! My SIL when she visited me in the peak of winter could not believe we live in such cold conditions and has consistently worn 4 layers of clothes for the one month she stayed with me! Come november, it is also natural for me to tell my kids to take hot water bath but always perplexed when they use lukewarm water in peak winters. Their reasoning sounds far better and now I am tempted to buy them towel warmers, just to feel that I am doing my job as a mom. I hear you sir already, I do - it is like as we say in Kannada "Sanyasi kadige hodange" (the story of a sanyasi who went to the forest!) But then you speak of november, how can I not take the opportunity to ramble on for this month prepares us for the upcoming colder months, now if only we could adamantly say we won't wear those sweaters! No sir, not possible one look through the window at the bare trees we know what we are up against!

1 person likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna

Thanks to Srama that she is going through some of your posts and I am also getting a chance to give fb. Everypost of yours is a gem and I think someone should publish a book containing all your Rambling. The fbs you get even now for your old threads only shows how important your ramblings are and how much we get to learn from them.

Regarding wearing sweater underneath the shirt I think the older generation are like that. Atleast you wear for your mother's satisfaction. I had made a sweater for my husband but instead of he wearing it he gave it to his brother.

Now coming to the month of November I also like it very much because the season starts for Sapthangam, Ayyappa Pooja etc. Already Sapthangam has started in Guruvayurappan temple and my husband is missing it due to his health condition. Glad that we could attend the Maharudram last Saturday and were there till the end and I can see the difference in my dh's health condition.

Thanks for the lovely post as always

1 person likes this.