Making babies eat vegetables most often poses the greatest challenge. Here are some interesting vegetable based recipes for babies less than one year of age.
For Babies Aged 6 to 8 Months
Peas And Cheese
- Boil half a cup of peas and one chopped carrot.
- Blend it with a quarter cup of milk and a little cheese and serve warm.
Pumpkin and Oats
- Sauté onion in olive oil and then add half a cup of chopped pumpkin to it together with a little ginger garlic paste and chopped coriander.
- Add water and a quarter cup of pre-soaked oats into it.
- Simmer for around 15 minutes till it’s thick.
- Blend it well and serve.
Potato And Chickpeas
- Boil two tablespoons of chickpea that has been soaked overnight with one chopped potato.
- Once soft, sauté it in olive oil.
- Add a few table spoons of milk and blend it well
- Remember to strain the mixture to remove all the chickpea skin from the food.
- Chickpeas can make babies with a sensitive stomach feel uneasy. In such cases its best avoided until they are at least a year old.
For Babies Aged 8 to 10 Months
Sweet Broccoli Rice
- Boil one unpeeled apple and a few florets of broccoli and then blend it well.
- Boil half a cup of rice and then mash it with a fork.
- Mix the apple-broccoli puree into it.
- You can avoid making a smooth paste of it, because by now your child will be getting used to the chunky consistency in her food.
Vegetable And Soya Rice
- Boil a few granules of soya, peas and a chopped carrot till they are soft.
- Blend it well and then sauté it in olive oil with a pinch of cumin seeds and onion.
- Boil a little rice till it is soft.
- Add the rice to the vegetable-soya mix with a little asafoetida, turmeric and salt,
- Saute for a few minutes.
- Add water and pressure cook it for two to three whistles and then serve.
- Boil finely grated cabbage till its soft.
- Soak two teaspoons of washed urad daal (split black lentils) and a cup of parboiled rice for a couple of hours.
- Drain out the water and blend it to a fine thick paste with some coconut milk.
- Add the cabbage to it.
- Cover and keep aside for a few hours.
- Pour the mix into the idli moulds and steam for 10-15 minutes.
For Babies Aged 10 Months and Above
- Boil one chopped potato and two cups of spinach leaves.
- Saute a chopped tomato with salt, garlic and coriander leaves.
- Blend the tomato mixture till smooth.
- Place the spinach leaves and the potato pieces in an oven dish and pour the tomato sauce over it.
- Sprinkle it with cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and serve
- Boil a chopped a beetroot and a little moong daal (green gram).
- Blend it to a puree and mix it into the dough.
- Roll the dough into small circles and deep fry it in olive oil and serve.
Carrot and Tinda Pasta
- Boil one chopped carrot and tinda (Indian round gourd) till tender and then mash it.
- Sauté the mashed vegetables with a little onion and ginger-garlic paste in olive oil.
- Boil a few strands of pasta.
- Place it all together in an oven dish and sprinkle it with tomato puree and grated cheese.
- Bake for half an hour and serve.