Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.
25 Conversation Starters to Connect With Your Kid
Conversing with your child opens a great opportunity to know more about your child and bond with him/her. The skill of talking with children comes naturally for some and for few it can be a struggle. Like any adult conversation, the key is to get started and then it takes its own natural course. Find a time you think your child is relaxed to initiate some meaningful exchanges. Mealtimes or during a stroll in the park are some great times to catch up with your child. Make sure there are no TV and other media around to keep the conversation meaningful and focused.
One of the secrets of happy families is to have an active and friendly conversation with children to foster a sense of a strong bond and support to one another. Here are some ideas to initiate family conversations:
1. What did you do this week?
2. Which is the best gift that you have ever received? What makes it special?
3. When were you very happy or upset today? Why?
4. Which is your favorite season?
5. What will you do if Mommy gives you Rs.10?
6. What one good thing happened in your school today?
7. Which is your favorite festival? Do they make you happy?
8. Which subject do you hate?
9. Do you like cricket? Who do you think is the best cricketer?
10. Do you like to do puzzles? Number or word puzzles?
11. Which has been your favorite vacation so far? Why?
12. Which restaurant is your favorite?
13. Do you like to dance?
14. Do you know mythological stories? Which character do you like the most? Why?
15. Do you pray to god and what do you pray?
16. Which is the best surprise that you have ever had?
17. What are you thinking about right now?
18. Do you look at the stars? What do you think about them?
19. Which is your favorite place in the house and why?
20. What makes you happy/sad/angry/worried? What do you do when you become happy/sad/angry/worried?
21. Do you like your name? If you could be re-named what would you like to be called?
22. What do you enjoy doing with your family?
23. Do you know stories? Which is your favorite ones?
24. Who is your best friend?
25. What do you want to be when you grow up? Why?
Ask open-ended questions. Get beyond one-word answers and persuade the child to explain in a sentence or two. If they say, ‘I don’t know”, respond saying, “take your time, think about it and tell me”. Do not give up if a child does not reciprocate for the first time. Keep trying. Do not get upset or lose patience since you will lose an opportunity to know your child and teach him/her the invaluable skill of communication.
Have a good time conversing with your child!
- Joke of the Day
- Thought for the Day
- Photo of the Day
- Daily Fortune
- Daily Poll
The Last Laugh
Seems like some folk don't find dying such a serious business after all....these are all actual epitaphs from real graves.
- Here lies the body of our Anna
Done to death by a banana
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low
But the skin of the thing that
made her go...
- Stranger tread this ground with gravity
Dentist Brown is filling his last cavity.
- Jedediah Goodwin
- Beneath this stone,
a lump of clay
Lies stingy Jimmy Wyatt
Who died one morning
jut at 10 and saved a continue reading...