Symptoms of hormonal imbalance may occur in women from 20 – 40 years of age, and the symptoms tend to increase as the women age. In the last thread we have seen how the 6 hormones play a vital role in every women’s health.
Types of hormonal imbalance can be due to high levels of Estrogen, low levels of Estrogen, high levels of Progesterone, low levels of Progesterone, high levels of Androgens or low levels of Androgens, high levels of insulin etc.
Many women experience the symptoms of hormonal imbalance during their premenstrual cycle, Often these symptoms become evident in late twenties and throughout their forties.
The general signs and symptoms of hormonal imbalance are basal body temperature, excessive hair growth, dizziness, allergies, changes in mensuration, acne, oily skin, irritation, anxiety, headaches, weight gain, water retention, premenstrual syndrome, fatigue, endometriosis, thinning or loss of hair, low sex drive, osteoporosis, urinary tract infections, uterine fibroids, wrinkly skin, mood swings, cramps, memory loss, high blood pressure, irregular periods, night sweats, vaginal dryness, dry skin, low self esteem, infertility, thyroid dysfunction, low blood sugar etc.
The symptoms can be one, two or in some cases combination of more than two. The best person to be approached when one realizes the symptoms, is an obstetrician or a gynecologist. Depending on the individual’s overall health, the physician decides the treatment option, i.e medication or the lifestyle changes.
Life style changes combined with nutritious diet is necessary for maintaining hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Diet should contain high protein and less carbohydrate during hormonal imbalance.
- Maintain adequate supply of calcium, iron and magnesium.Eliminate all refined food, processed food, junk food, white bread and sweets and artificial sweeteners, coffee, spicy foods, aerated drinks etc.
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acid rich foods like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, fish, are good for maintaining hormonal imbalance.
- Animal fats are known to interfere with the normal functioning of the hormones, better reduce red meats and dairy products, instead go for fresh fruits and raw vegetables.
- Have 5 – 6 small meals in a day, never full stomach. Reduce the intake of salt in the food ( salt is the worst enemy ).
- The diet must include organic fruits and vegetables, grains, brown rice, lentils, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, green tea, soyabeans, cereals, nuts and other natural foods.
- Drink about 2 liters of water daily to prevent the dryness of the skin. Regular exercises, walking, jogging, swimming are highly recommended. Destress with the help of yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, keep oneself engaged with some hobbies, interaction with the people, reading books, listen to the music and sound sleep are beneficial.