Cabbage - The World's Healthiest Food
Cabbage is one of the most available and inexpensive vegetables in the world. It is also one of the most ignored vegetables due to its boring flavor. Do check out the immense benefits of this humble vegetable.
Your Weight Loss Friend
Low in calories, but high in fiber, add leaves of cabbage to your salad and other food items . The presence of Vitamin C helps to burn that stubborn fat. 100gms of cabbage is just 25 calories!
Keep Cancer At Bay
Cabbage is a rich source of powerful antioxidants which will help you against the onset of breast, colon and prostate cancers. The chemicals in the plant inhibits the growth of tumor and shields cell-damage from free radicals.
Lower Your Risk of Blood Pressure and Stroke
Abundance of potassium present in cabbage wards off the risk of developing blood pressure and stroke and regulates heart beat.
Cabbage is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin C and A which will take care of your bones, mental health and boosts immunity system.
Ways to Eat Cabbage
Here are some delicious ways to eat cabbage:
b. Salad with your favorite topping.
c. Cabbage Rolls
d. Cabbage stuffing
e. Cabbage stir-fry
f. Cabbage pickle
g. Cabbage cutlet
h. Cabbage and noodles are a great combination
i. Cabbage Pie
j. Cabbage Paratha
Selection and Storage
Cabbage is grown all through the year. Go for cabbages that look fresh, firm , compact and should be slightly heavy for its size. Insecticide and pest will be present in cabbage. Soak in salt water for 30 minutes before you can cook. Use fresh cabbage to derive maximum benefits. You can also store them in refrigerator and is best used within 3 days of purchase.
Cabbage Home Remedies
– Cabbage juice is used to treat constipation.
– Eating raw cabbage is a good treatment for headache.
– Ease the inflammation of joints by eating raw cabbage.
– Get relief from PMS (pre menstrual syndrome) by placing the chill cabbage leaves on the tummy. This is equivalent to a cold compress.
Few Cabbage Cooking Tips
1. To avoid the rotten smell of cabbage, cook it adequately. Over-cooking releases hydrogen sulphide which breaks down while cooking for a long time.
2. Do not cook in aluminum pan which can make the cabbage smell even stronger. Use stainless steel.
3. You can also steam it for about fifteen minutes.
4. Never cut the cabbage until you are ready to start cooking.
5. Cut cabbage into tiny pieces for faster cooking.
Side Effects of Eating Cabbage
Derive maximum benefits by eating cabbage in moderation. Excessive consumption is known to have side effects such as
d. It is seen that lactating mother should avoid the use of cabbage since it can cause colic to the infant. However, there is no medical evidence to prove the above statement.
f. Abdominal discomfort