Jobs in India after a career break

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by neha1, Jan 12, 2010.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

thank you for your positive words Pman.

I am looking forward to a good start once I get back to India. Only issue is I do not know when it will be:bonk or if we continue here then I shall think about higher studies.
    Thanks for your post

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

Hi Neha

I have seen you r post in many forums you are not sure what you want

First decide one and please get train and familiar in one area and appl;ly you will get for sure
    Do not you think we will help/refer when you go india?
    No worries no cost for godo freinds

HElp others and get happy ..so anything let me know.You need more info because you read all post who all confusing..here they talk about their personal ..waht exactly opponet needs

I cam from lectures after my college.then played all roles ..so i have ex and still doing same
    good luck

3. rmalathi

rmalathi Senior IL'ite

Hi Neha,
    I went through this phase a couple of years ago.

I had taken a break to be with my daughter for her Board exams and started looking for a job again when she completed her 12th. I did not have the same problem as yours though, I got many interview calls and found a good job eventually.

You just need to sound confident in that taking the break was the most appropriate decision for you and your family. Never sound apologetic, its your life and you made a decision. Employers may be sceptical and ask whether you will repeat this again, you can always say that you now have a support system in place or change the -ve to a +ve. This will convince them.

The job scene is picking up in India and am sure you will find a decent one. As already mentioned in this post, if you don't find a top notch job, try to take up something close to your profile and ofcourse a decent pay and once you are back on the job, scouting for a new one becomes easier. Am not sure how good the job portals are; but networking within your own circle, batch mates etc., would be more effective.

Good luck :thumbsup

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi rmalathi,

Thank you very much for your positive words.
    I was just worried if we would even get interview calls. Once I get, I am confident that I will clear. Your post clarifies this.:)
    Thanks again.

5. dhanyaarun

dhanyaarun New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

This is my first posting. I read through the whole write-up as I am also going through the same. One exception being : A consultant has agreed to do a H1 for next H1 slot. If so, I have to wait for another 9 months to get to know the results, which will make my career break to 1.7yrs. Currently I have a career break of less than an year also the job market in India is good.

Friends do you think career break of 1yr or 1.7yrs make a difference? Or shall i give a try for H1 here and then finally decide of going back to India. But that time, we cannot be sure that the job market will be still good there. I am totally confused :(

Can anyone advise plssss...

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Dhanyaarun,

This is a very common and stressful situation many of us go through,espeically those here in US since we cannot work on the immigrant visa. As far as your break is concerned, franky, I think anything upto 2 years shuld be able to land you a decent job in India. Now, you are also planning to start working with a consultant on h1b. The only drawback is ,you need to wait for 9 months to know the outcome. so, how about taking some classes/certificate in your target feield and get yourself refreshed? That will help you,either here or in India. Also,I assume that you and your husband will be making the move back to India together, so his view on this also matters. If he does not want to move back(for whatever reason) ,then you need to think about this move. I would say, just do some certificate courses in some commmunity college/university and keep urself ready. You vould also think og going in for higher studies here like M.S or MBA.

Good Luck

7. dhanyaarun

dhanyaarun New IL'ite

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you Neha for the kind words. I am relieved after hearing that break upto 2yrs is acceptable. Finally I have decided to wait for another 9 more months. Hope I will get better luck this time.

Were you able to find job back in India? Was it difficult to get through??

Thank you once again.:)

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Yes, just wait and see what happens. Sometimes we have to do such sacrifices for our family!
    I did not go to India. We decided to stay back. So i will look at other options like higher studies.

9. RockOn

RockOn New IL'ite

Life/ Jobs in India after 2 years in USA

Hello All

I came to USA after getting married with my husband. I was working there in India for about 3 years in the Software Industry. My husband has no big intention in staying here in the USA for long time and we are planning to move back very soon. I have not enrolled in any of the universities. How about life/getting jobs in India after break(about 2 years). Also, I am looking for some domain/platform change (which brings more jobs in the market) here in the USA (got my H1 recently) to get into a Job. Please pour in all your valuable thoughts that will surely guide me in all the way.

Much appreciate your time for going through my concern. Looking forward to hear from you all! :)