what are the software skills in demand now

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Tulasi, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi guys,
    I was a sofware engr working in the sql server and visul basic 3 years ago after
    my baby is born i quit my job..now thinking to enter the job fld again if there are any software professionals around in this forum please let me know what are the skills in demand currently...so that i can take some training.

Thanks in advance

2. sirishaprasanna

sirishaprasanna New IL'ite

hi Tulasi

hi
    Itoo used to work but i quit for my kid's sake
    even me,i'm planning to start work.
    since u already have VB background .Net is the best option,the other technologies for which there is more demand is JAVA,DATAWAREHOUSING
    TESTING,WEB DESIGNING etc. Make a decision start brushing up yourself.
    Iwish you good luck
    love

3. rajinigandhap

rajinigandhap Senior IL'ite

Hi Tulasi,
    This is rajini.I am working as asoftware test Engineer in FLOvate.6 months back only I joined in This company.After 2 years gap I joined .Nowadays Demand is in JAVA,Testing.first you find good Institute For Taking course.And prepare your resume.Brushup your past Languages you know.And Tell The Interviewer you have gap of 2 or 3 years.I think you know SQl server
    Vb .My suggestion is Take Testing Course.Automation Tool QTP .Script FOr QTP is in VB only.I know Good Institutes in Bangalore and Hyderabad.
    All the Best.

:wave
    Rajini gandha.P

4. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Sirisha,Rajini
    Thank you very much for your responses.
    Rajini, can you give the Institutes list in Bangalore and Hyderabad. I need to take the courses and if you know any in USA also pls let me know. Iam currently in Usa but can take in b'lore or hyderbad when I visit..
    Its so comforting to know you guys also had simlilar situations....

5. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Tulasi,
    Living so close to research triangle there might be some training places where you are(just visited your profile). It depends on what goals you want to achieve in your career. If you can devote long hours then go for development jobs hot skills being java and xml combinations. If family comes first then a career in software quality assurance (testing). As for getting the required training you will find a lot of websites offering just that(qaforums.com for example). Get yourself familiarized with the QA concepts. Sulekha.com also has a list of trainers available here in US in its classifieds section.
    I was able to successfully return to employment after a gap of 4 years. Employers here respect that you were able to take off to devote time to your young kids/family needs.

Good luck

Pushpa

6. rajinigandhap

7. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Rajini To get into QA what else shd one know? is it a must that they shld be in computers field? what else shd be learnt. any suggestions would be helpful. is it easy to get in with just manual testing? my hubby says not many companies do automated testing and so knowledge and experience in manual testing is enough. is that true? i see many going for QA courses here in US and get job but my hubby says no need those courses, i am confused. eagerly waiting for ur response.

Thanks

8. rajinigandhap

Hi priya,

As your hubby said nowadays most of the companies are using manual testing
    but to filter in interviews they ask automation tools .They will give 1 st prefarance to those people who knows Automation.coming to your Ques
    computer Basics are enough.Like Microsoft word ,Excel and little bit programing is enough.go through C language .Sql Basics also required.
    I am using winrunner.script will be in TSL That is like C language.
    go through the links i have given .They will give yougood idea on QA
    If you have any doubts ask me
    All the Best
    Bye
    :2thumbsup:
    Rajini

9. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,

In your query you said you know many going for QA courses here in US. I would like to know where are they giving training..could let me know

Thanks

10. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Tulasi, I was actually abt to ask Rajini if she knows any good training centers. In nj there are many in edison area, but not sure if they are good. my cousin learnt and got job, but she said it was weekend course for few weeks, she paid 500$ but she said their teaching was ok. I have seen few centers who say they teach but they keep changing the timings, or suddenly they will cancel class, etc you know not a professional way to do things. so it is better to enquire well before joining, especially they treat badly, i mean as we r dependent on them to get job so they act in a superior manner. good luck. let me know if u find any good ones.i will too.

Rajini thanks soo much for ur reply. wil go through the links u provided.

Priya.