Working for whom?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by swathi14, Jan 10, 2009.

1. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai.

I am not denying that now women are financially independent bcoz they are working. They have more exposures, they are more knowledgeable - every think is okay.

But ultimately, who is benefiting from this?

Everything goes fine, till they become mothers. After that the dilemma starts between family and office. By this time they would have reached a responsible position in the office.

Leaving a kid in the house, they have to work. Problems start from there. I am not telling that after delivery women should stay at home. Gents, should share the home responsibilities. But that it is not happening in general.

Women come forward to share the financial responsibilities but more men never come forward to share the household responsibilities.

So, we have to take care of the kids, their education, the cooking, house keeping, financial matters everything falls on our head and with a smiling we are doing all this. But in the ultimate climax, our health spoils bcoz of this.

I am working as an Executive. I will leave the office by 6.30 pm and I can reach home by around 7.30 / 8 pm only. My hubby will come at 7 pm but he will sit & watch TV. I have to go and do the cooking. By this time, it would be 9 and homework checking, doubt clearing will take another 1/2 an hour and I can go to bed by 10 / 10.30 only. If I ask my hubby to help me in the cooking - he will simply say - I dont know and I am not used to it.

I think only gents are benefiting from our double duty. But my hubby will say - he has given freedom to use my money for my desire. But the school fees, medical bills, grocery everything goes from my earning only.

At times I am thinking - for what purpose I am working?

Andal

sindmani likes this.

2. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Wearing too many hats has had its toll on you. But I think this situation calls for drastic measures from your side.Isnt it your husband's home and kid too.He is conveniently escaping from doing anything around the house.
    Why dont you use the some solutions I used . When I have done too much for the day , I just throw in the towel and tell my husband to cut veg or make dinner. Initially he used to escape giving excuses. I could see right thru them and told him the work will only get done if he does it otherwise I wont do it. You need to be little firm. Its like teaching kids something. Only here it is adult. Being firm is the key.
    Why dont you have your husband check your kids schoolwork and help you around the house like washing vessels or cutting veg.Dont request. Be firm and tell him to do it . If he doesnt do it be prepared in mind not to do it. It will help you in long run and he will learn to do it.Thats what I used to do with my husband. My husband used to wait an hr before he used to drag his feet to do it. But used to do it. Now it has come to if I say I cant do it he is ready to do it.Its just that we wife's need to train our husbands to do it.
    Its like giving tasks to each employee in an office to run a project. Here its in an house.Good luck.

sindmani likes this.
  3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai.

Thanks for your comments.

But, I tried your way too. If we ask them to help in our household things, from the next day he will come at 11 pm only. They have a place to chit chat till mid night.

Regarding children homework, he is not patiently sitting with them. Children also telling he is not explaining properly. Again it falls on my head.

But I can manage the things, but there is no time to look after us. thats the problem.

Andal

4. chocolate

Okay, One more way.Why dont you have a maid who does all the work like cooking and cleaning. You know one of my friends works long hrs in India. She has hired a cook and a maid to do all the work.In that way you dont have to worry about doing house work and instead concentrate on kids.
    One more thing I do is when I feel like we are in a rut, I plan for an outing say a neighbouring city even for a day or 2 to relax ourselves. My husband doesnt take the initiative . But he has always been that way so I do the planning and just do it.
    You are feeling a lot of stress due to handling everything yourself. If your parents are in the same city, you can visit them with the kids for a weekend or holidays you get to relax yourself with the kids.Good Luck.

sindmani likes this.
  5. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai.

Thanks for your nice ideas. Definitely I will give a try.

Thank u.

Andal

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Hi Andal,
    You made a good point. Yes, finally hubbies are getting benefited out of it. Eventhough we appoint a maid or cook, even supervising them will be our responsibility. Sometimes, if hubbies dont like thier cooking or cleaning, so we hav to do it. Yes, it does help a lot to reduce some stress on our heads but definitely gents should come forward to takeup the responsibility sharing across all the things.
    So, we need to have some maid or parents or inlaws for full time at our homes to take care of our things. Really, at times I too feel like stressed out due lot of work pressure and carryig out things at home smoothly. Eventhough I too conveyed the same msg to my hubby, but all the actions went in vain. Probably I m used to take care of several things by now. But the initial days of marriage may be upto one year, we expect cooperation from our respectives.\, but they are intelligent enough to escape.

7. chocolate

Andal,If its one day ,one week ,one month we can say lets do it. Its everyday. Your health will be spoilt if you have to do too many things. Try for a maid who does the cleaning regularly from neighbours. And a different lady who can cook. Your best source will be neighbours and friends.Good Luck.

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Priya & Chocolate!!

Thanks for your comments.

it is not my personal problem alone. Majority of Indian middle class working women have this problem.

In the Indian system, we are not allowing males to do kitchen work. In the initial period of marriage life, wife in the over-enthu will do all the work to get the appreciation from In-laws& hubby.

When it becomes a daily routine, the problem starts. It aggregates when a child is born. Affordable women can have a maid.

but what about women working for 2000/- to 3000/- salary in a garment factory? or in a Factory getting 4000/-.

I worked as a factory incharge manning 37 ladies. All are illiterates earning a maximum of 2500/- pm. On the salary day their husbands will be standing outside the factory. Once the ladies went out with their salary atleast 1000/- will go to their husband for the liquor expenses. If they wont give, the husband will beat the wives on the street and grab the entire salary.

So, what can they do? They dont have a financial freedom nor they have a respect from their husband. All the 31 days of ladies hard work will end in the liquor shop.

Andal

9. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Andal.. my blood boils when i hear such things. If we talk of husbands not sharing work in a class of the worker ladies who worked for you, it is no different in a literate class like yours and mine. Things should change at least in the next gen. We should train our sons and daughters equally well to share work in the family (which our inlaws failed to do). Delegation is an art.. one should learn to be patient with the other person's working style and timings... but still make them do the work.

now dear.. u start getting smart. tell ur hubb clear that u r employing a cook to help you, since you are not getting that help from ppl inside. And just do it. My hubb is like urs too.. but he at least feels for what he cannot do. I cannot make him do the work completely coz when he is 10% done with the work, my mil grabs it and does it herself. She just can't stand her dear son doing a thing at home. The reason she gives "he is tired after the work at office"... i work too.. but she would prefer to forget that fact. As a result, i hv left any work within our room to be done by him and only him. i dont do any sharing here, and he is ok with it. Be it cleaning the room (as i hv a toddler, my room generally is very messy most of the times), making the bed, cleaning the washroom, changing the bedsheets, and everything possible.. i know that its really not a sharing in its literal meaning. My hubb can just not stand a messy room.. and i used this weakness in him to get things done out of him in our room and my kid's room (sometimes the fridge and other areas too when inlaws aren't around). You hubb might be hving a similar weakness too.. try to use that and start from there. Good luck !

10. chocolate

You need to tackle one thing at a time. First of all your husband is getting away with not doing anything in the house.I know with our husbands sometimes fault is with our in laws treating them as though they are precious things.As I mentioned earlier my husband had a good run of not doing any work. Now using many tactics I have atleast made sure he can do something in case I cant do it.

It also seems to me that your husband is not taking initiative to spend some time with family.You need to talk to him regarding this. Hire a maid and a cook . You will also be relaxed to spend time with the kids and your husband.Let it be him watching TV, you can give him company.Try on weekends to have an outing with your husband and kids. I feel your husband and kids and you do need a little bonding. Outings may help as you will all be relaxed and enjoy .In that way kids will relate to their dad well. Good Luck.