How to avoid distractions ?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by itsme2016, Feb 29, 2016.

1. itsme2016

itsme2016 New IL'ite

Came across this site while browsing the net. I have a bunch of Issues and hoping to find some solutions from you all...

I am working in IT industry for around 15 now. Have stuck to one company due to the flexibility it provides like Flexi timings and WFH options. I am an individual contributor.
    Over the last couple of years, I have seen a steady decline in my sharpness / Proactiveness / alertness etc. I am working for the sake of working. But I have atleast managed to keep my boat afloat.

But recently I opted for WFH due to commuting Issues.
    This is a dream for working moms but alas it has brought out the worst of me...

1) I am totally distracted while working. I cant work for even 20 mins without opening fb or whatapp or news or some other damn thing. There too I am a passive reader.

Result - Work is piling up and I am doing a shabby job just to meet submission dates.

2) At the end of day , I dont have a sense of satisfaction as things aren't really done to a satisfactory level.

So .. I am not sure if my distraction is
    1) Due to losing social interaction in office ? There are no longer tea breaks , lunches , chit chats etc :(. I am all alone in a huge house.

2) Am I burnt out in this job and should I consider a break ?

How do people WFH motivate urself to complete the tasks ?

I no longer have the fear of losing job as well... :( and am bored to death.

Thanks in advance.

1 person likes this.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

It may be boredom in job. But nevertheless - always remember we need to be professional whether work-from-office, or work-from-home. Do TURN OFF whatsapp, fb, indusladies etc during work time to help focus.

3. KavithaUS

KavithaUS Silver IL'ite

"Complacent" is the first word that came to my mind after reading your post OP.
    Come out of your comfort zone..otherwise it will destroy your career.

4. inboxsweetee

inboxsweetee Gold IL'ite

In office servers usually they block all social sites....right ? So why dont you make your environment as office ...

As you said you have big home . Create a home office .

#Keep a separate room for work
    #Maintain 2 laptops or computers 1 for personal and another for official
    # Use the room exclusively for work
    # Block all sites in your official laptop
    Try to meditate and come back with a bang and work hard finish your tasks .

Enjoy the work . Work is worship. Value it. Nothing is Bore . We eat till die ... we can also work ....so why cant you value the company who is facilitating these benefits :)

Just start everyday as fresh and enjoy working . All the Best . :yes:

5. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Actually distractions happen in office also...like colleagues interrupting you when you are in the middle of working on some assignment..someone allots something to you even before you finish the previous stuff...many take long long coffee and lunch breaks and get carried away in gossip with known colleagues..distractions happen everywhere and we need to be focused..In your case I would suggest you to go to office at least a few days a week ...you will get a change of environment after interacting with colleagues and sitting in office atmosphere...then you will be motivated..then u will all the more appreciate the w.f.h option available to you and be more focused on ur work..try to work efficiently and retain this job, I hope you realise how lucky you are to get such regular work from home option...I remember dragging myself to work everyday even when I was sick! spent hours together stuck in traffic jams while travelling to office ,with no sympathy or flexibility given by managers.. and could not attend to any personal commitment as I never had this telecommuting option even for a single day. I know so many senior colleagues with 10 years experience who do not have w.f.h option and many people changed jobs due to commuting issues..

2 people like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Try the pomodoro technique. Basically, you set a 25 minute timer and work on any one thing during that period. Focus completely on that task. Don't make plans for future work or get diverted into doing something else. After the 25 minutes are up, you get a 5 minute break to do whatever you want. Keep repeating this throughout the day. After 4 pomodoros you can take a longer 15-20 minutes break. You can find many pomodoro apps for the phone as well as browser addons.

Check these out for the desktop,

Tomighty
    Tomato Timer

If you have an Android phone, look up the 'Clockwork Tomato' app. I use it and highly recommend it.

The good thing with this approach is that you only have to focus for 25 minutes at a time. If you find 25 minutes to be too much handle, start with 10, 15, 20 minutes, or whatever you can successfully manage. Build up the time everyday. Once you become more disciplined you can increase the duration of your pomodoro. On the first day, you might only manage 2 pomodoros, but if you persist you will find your productivity increase dramatically.

Remember pick one task at a time, and no cheating during a pomodoro. You can use this for your work, as well as housework or other tasks. Keep idle browsing, like Indusladies, for the break time.

Good luck!

6 people like this.
  7. itsme2016

itsme2016 New IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your tips .. I have already started implementing them.
    Even in ofc I always had a checklist of things to do and loved to tick off items from the list by eod / eo week. Not sure what changed suddenly that I completely forgot abt all good practices I followed once.

Gauri, Will check out the technique you have written about. Thanks.

8. sumitadg

sumitadg Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I would like to veto inboxsweetee's ideas.

Create an environment like an office.

Keep a separate room to do your office work.
    Maintain timings.
    Even dress up as though your are attending office.
    Take breaks when necessary and access social sites if that relaxes you.
    Must have a check list with priorities.
    You also need to do multi tasking.
    Play music which may soothe you.
    Try to find a newer way of doing things so that you don't get bored.

Hope these suggestions help you out.

You are lucky to be working from home. Everyone doesn't get this opportunity.
    All the best and keep smiling. :2thumbsup:

sumita