No career growth :( Dissatisfied. Am I the cause?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by MahiSree, Feb 11, 2016.

1. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am working mom and has an experience of 10+ years.

But I am not happy with the way my career is progressing (?!).
    I am trying to work hard but nothing helps me.

Though I try to put all my efforts, i am not able to succeed in any of my actions.

1. I have changed 3 companies by now. But I didn't get any on-the-job promotion in any of the companies. My new jobs offer me new/better position. But once I join, am stagnated.

2. I can understand the concepts in my job, but am lacking somewhere in executing the things i hope. Always my jobs are getting delayed.

3. My friends\colleagues say that i am technically good and my solutions work perfect. But where am failing? Am not able to complete on time many times.

4. Always I wanted to finish things pucca. Meaning that no issues anywhere (be at home or work). At home, 95% am able to achieve this. At work, not even 75%. :(

5. i always dream of getting an award for my efforts or getting appreciated by my higher officials for my work standard. But i did get award as a team. Not an individual one.

6. Even juniors\my reportees are out-smarting me. I yearn for that smartness.
    How to get it?
    How to work efficiently?
    How to build my confidence?
    How to brush my brain?

Please help ladies. I have no option of leaving my job as my DH's health requires rest for an year or two. After that only i can even think of.

I want to win if not in all, at least in few..

radhaparth2000 likes this.

2. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

So many views, but no replies :(

3. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I will share what I am aware of...

you need to showcase what you do.... we need to sell our work... else there wont be any visibility....

On any of your task, make sure that your contribution is communicated to higher management in some or the otherway....

And you need to tackle team politics too.... dont bluntly believe anybody.

4. ssrgopal

ssrgopal Silver IL'ite

Dear MahiSree,
    Do you have a good friends circle outside office?
    What are the other activities you do apart from office and house holdwork?

5. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Actually, I am also in the same boat. but ssrgopal can you tell me how your question relates to OP's problem ?

6. MahiSree

MahiSree Gold IL'ite

Yes, that's where am failing - Showcasing what I did. Everyone says this.
    But I don't know how to do, even at home.

My managers are sucking work from me and literally confusing me when it comes to portray my rule to juniors. This results in poor response from them. So i need to chase them for every work completion.

Am pissed off. Want to run away. But have no choice.

@ssrgopal, i do have few. But why?

7. shobhamma

shobhamma Gold IL'ite

Just do whatever you have to do to the best of your abilities. Make sure your boss knows about your contribution.
    To get ahead you may try taking more responsibilities if you are able to otherwise make the best of where you are.

8. ssrgopal

ssrgopal Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    Sometimes, we women get stuck in the circle of just house and work and cut the outside world completely. This will result in mundane approach to all the tasks we do, the people we deal with... though we give our 100%.

Always work requires both SMART work and assertive work more than just hard work.

In my personal life, in my first career, I faced the same issue like you guys. I was also stuck with house and work with so social life, may be a little exercise like walking but I used to go alone. I was somewhere stuck with stagnation.

During my second job, I moved to a different city, there I developed friendship with so many other people, with different ages. I get to know each other, sometimes unconsciously I do pick up their good habits, strategic approach they handle and I became very bold and assertive. I used to show case my work, deal with all the lazy juniors under me like being friendly outside work at the same time very strict when it comes to work. For me this worked out, only because of interaction with many people. I didn't invest on gym or dance classes..Just walking or chit chating with any age groups. Your mind also will get refreshed and less stress.

9. ssrgopal

ssrgopal Silver IL'ite

I am not advising much on your work, because you are saying you are already giving 100%. So I guess, you are probably missing on the other part, may be not so good in impressing people or the current environment is against you.

If possible move to a different company even if they give a decent hike, then with new people, new environment you can do a fresh start.

10. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I do not have enough knowledge and experience to comment on this..but feel that sometimes a change of place and work environment can help..I made a mistake of not switching company earlier when I got stagnated ..then my career prospects suffered a lot..whereas my friends do new certification, attend new trainings, master new technologies and grab good opportunities in other companies..they are having good job prospects with good salary etc..some stay for 5 yrs also in 1 company if they like it and some leave within 1 year also if the work is not fulfilling..at the same time we should not change too many companies too soon that we miss on job promotions or miss out on learning experience. And, most of the time people who are technically good and work well do not get recognition due to office politics, and bad boss, bad colleagues, lazy or over smart juniors etc..Regarding smartness, you should carefully study the other person and analyse their personality , you can do that after sometime..then you will know how to deal with that person..as newer batches are passing out every year they are more sharp and have more awareness that's why they are very smart...I m much younger than u but see the college freshers these days, they seem much smarter and have much more access to good facilities compared to me and my contemporaries.