How to overcome this issue at a new job?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by abc00, Feb 11, 2016.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I need help from working women here regarding this issue. I have a long career gap and my confidence keeps going up and down. I need to deal with this big time. Just a short background, typical H4 visa ,no job, inlaws issues, couldnt work, no one to encourage.

Faced all these and kind of pushed myself to stay positive all the time and started working. My manager is a lady and tries to help and teach to work the correct way ( its less than a month in this new job)...but I curse myself most of the time if I do something the way I did or if I dont. I keep thinking too much. She gives me instructions but I ask her again if I have a question ...maybe after sometime ....when Im really doing the task to reassure I'm doing it correctly. Im still in the process of understanding the new system. My aim is to get it done correctly. Will asking her the 2nd time create a bad opinion about me?

I feel I have a trouble starting something. After a while I get very comfortable and exhibit confidence.

I want to develop my confidence yet further. Im not a very calm person normally but Im getting serious at work and not able to enjoy the moment. Im on the edge every time trying to safeguard my new job. Please help.

1 person likes this.

2. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Here are some tips that may help you. I changed my job two years back.

Take a notebook and on the back side, start writing whatever you learn. It could be the acronyms, project code names, people names etc, server names, etc.

Whenever you meet her, make sure you have your notebook and write in down then and there. As you write, you will have questions and you can ask your manager or whoever right at that time and write it.

In the meetings, observe everything. The etiquette, culture of the place can be learned from the meetings. Also, what is expected, what is important can be known. Some organizations like presentation for everything, some don't. Some organizations have charts and detailed animated presentation some don't. Find out how the information is presented and at what detail level. Either you will be required to present someday or your manager would need data/presentation from you for his/her presentation.

Asking the same questions multiple times or rechecking with the manager is not a good idea. If needed, frame it differently. Instead of "Can you check if this is right?" Maybe say that I thought of doing it this way, do you think it will work?

Go and introduce yourself to your team and other teams. You will find one or many who will be friendly to you and you can learn more from them.

Hope this helps.

4 people like this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Always carry a notepad and simply write things down when she gives you instructions. You can then e-mail it to her, with a note to say that you are preparing a set of SOPs for common tasks, and ask for clarification where necessary. That way you both win and you appear earnest & organized.

Congratulations on the new job!
    :thumbsup

2 people like this.
  4. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Akanksha and Soka for your inputs. Yes, I already have a notepad and have been noting down.

I think improving confidence internally is on my own. Any guidelines regarding this ?

5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Be yourself, no body knows everything at work. Only thing is, they know when to seek help and whom to ask for the missing information. You are on track, go with a flow and if there is any revisions, your manager/co-worker will tell you, what need to be changed/done to fix it.

At the beginning, it takes extra effort/wide eye open to grasp things. You will catch up with others in no time.

Enjoy your new work.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You may find this hard to believe, but this kind of 'negative self talk' is very common. Simply google 'monitoring negative self-talk' or 'overcoming negative self-talk' and you will see a host of suggestions.

An approach that has helped young students who are stressing out, is a CBT technique. See here for one version. Here is a worksheet. Here is an article, by Martin Seligman.

The above is a technique. The underlying key, is meditative self-awareness - the realization that your thoughts are not 'you'. They are just vapor trails, arising and disappearing ceaselessly. Mindful 'thought labeling' is very useful to understand this and stop identifying with your random thoughts. The goal is 'non-reactive awareness' or 'bare attention'. Google these words and you will find loads of suggestions. Pick any exercise that suits you. Here is an example.

I have found 'thought labeling' to be fundamentally transformative.

2 people like this.
  7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Everyone at the new workplace will be struggling to meet the perfect standards initially. So, don't blame yourself. Accept the fact, that this is perfectly normal. Don't be stressed or panicked about it.

Don't blame your career gap, and poor starting habit. This will not help.

Instead, take your time to learn. Keep your self positive. As you already said, you can pick up the tasks perfectly once you are on track. This is just a starting point.

However, don't let your lack of confidence and confusions make a negative remark about you at your work place.
    Be cheerful all the time.

Do the work at your best. Don't think negatively as to "what will happen if I don't do it right". Face the consequences as it comes. This way, you will present yourself confident and positive minded before your manager.
    But, if you are working with a fear of "making things wrong", you will end up having loads of doubts; hence questioning the manager repeatedly, and the same thing again.
    This way, she will have bad impression about you, despite of your good performance at the end.

Learn from the mistakes, this is the best teaching that imprints in your mind, rather than asking the manager several times.

2 people like this.
  8. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Casually find a time to talk to your manager about your assignments as you are progressing. Broaden your knowledge about the project as the extra details can help in finding growth for yourself in the team. If there are documents about your project or assignments, read them to understand the business of the company. Talk about your questions to key people in the team or your manager so that they know you are an asset to the company. This will boost your confidence and learning will be easier.

If you are in beginner/fresher role, it is ok if you make mistakes in the beginning. Don't get lost too much in perfection and fear. The key thing is to be aware if you are learning or not. your manager's opinion about you would depend on that.

Maintain deadlines and set some career goals for yourself. Understand the various technologies used in the company. Use Linkedin effectively and connect to your team members as you know them. Such things will make you relaxed and settle down quickly.

All the best.