Options for IT women when aged

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sanjuruby3, Mar 10, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I am a developer in IT and work in very fast paced environment. I do like technology and liked learning.
    Now a days with infant, things are getting difficult for me. I want to do learn new technologies but no time. I want to learn other things - hobbies outside work but
    can not afford. My child consumes all the time and I do not even get time to sleep.
    Forget about health. Result of that, me and my H we both are suffering in terms of health.

I maximum can work few more years like this. My child is still very small.. What is going to happen after say 10 yrs. Though I do not have een 10 yrs.
    Men are different. They get into tech leads kind of jobs which I have no interest in.

can I move to testing after development? Normally I see white people (american people) move from testing to development.

2. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Sanjuruby,
    I can understand what you are going through as we are on the same boat. I think this phase of occupied with ur baby is till they turn 2 and start going to daycare or school.

If you still want to look to IT jobs which not in Financial based. I think most most of the past pace work happens in financial side and consulting works.

I worked as at consulting firm for 4 years and has really bad days (i mean schedule wise). I can't imagine working there with an infant to take care back at home.
    Now i am working at an educational institute (IT Side) with laid back work attitude. There i no work pressure or stress but down side no bonus in increments as we get in corporate companies

3. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

hi Sanjuruby,

I don't think you should worry about about learning new technologies right now. As long as you are able to survive with development and finish your day to day work on time you should be good. Like viki pointed out once your infant gets into the toddler phase your life will be a zillion times better. Talking about moving to other fields yes being a developer you can move on to become a Architect ,Software Tester Technical Project Manager. Its always better to move around in the same company .
    But above all , I think you should be concerned more about your and H's health issues. Please take good care of your health.

Good Luck and stay strong. Its a phase will pass soon. All we mommies have probably felt similar to what you are going through while raising our LOnes.

1 person likes this.
  4. beanstalk

beanstalk Gold IL'ite

I have seen a lot of women making switch from dev to QA / testing. It does reduce the workload quite a bit. With Dev there is active deployment and pressure almost 80-90 % of the time, in Qa there is relaxed environment for about 60-70% of times but rest of the time, work can be high and bring on insane hours based on the company. That is always an option. Also, Qa/testers with a few years dev experience are highly coveted. We paid them higher and wanted them more because apart from testing, they add and develop more onto Qa framework and can reasonably figure smaller issues by themselves since they have good grasp of code.

anyways with all that aside, right now you are a new mom and going through the crazy phase of life. Productivity hugely decreases in these years, but it will pick up after your toddler is above 3 and starts becoming fairly independent. for now, keep doing what you are doing and are experienced in aka what you can do with your eyes closed and push harder when you are out of this phase.

Also as you move up on corporate ladder, dev work decreases and your work becomes more about technology awareness, leading teams and people management. Atleast from my perspective, work starts getting easier after you push through the first few years and establish your work and reputation.

2 people like this.
  5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,

The first kid's infant phase is the toughest time in career for women in IT and I have experienced it too. But, as the kid becomes a toddler you would no longer need to put in so much effort on the kid like you do now. On the career side too this could be the most tryign time as you are no longer on a fresher role, but not yet at the senior role too. That is the phase where most slogging happens. But, this will change and that too in a year or a little more. And in another 10 years or so, your career would take a huge leap, and you would no longer be slogging as you are doing now. Learning new skills/ moving into new role etc can happen after the kid turns a little older; JMO. In a few years time, you would be spending more and more time on mentoring the team, as a project manager, learnign/ implementing new technology etc depending on the path you choose (managerial/ architect). So, dont worry. All the best!

6. ChrisColin

ChrisColin Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    I am working in a MNC for the Past 12+ years and would like to take OFF and be at home. But thinking of the options i have after my resignation, i don't ahve much and i am bit afraid to do that. Coz,my kid is grown up now and going to school. And i have cook and maid to do Household works. What will i do the whole day, sitting idle and watching TV is big NO to me. Thinking of taking up another JOB, i don't find anything suitable for my degree and Exp. So, i am continuing in this IT :). Don't know how long will it go.

1 person likes this.
  7. Anvitha

Anvitha Moderator Staff Member Gold IL'ite

Oh, i see so many sailing in the same boat. Me also 12\1 + in same company and out side some 6 plus years. want to take this as long as this goes.

as one of you rightly said when you grew up in the ladder dev work decreases and management increases. But if you have some knowledge on latest things you can manage well else dev will try to mislead.

there is right balance based on one's situation thet we only can decide .

waiting for a right solution just as all of you there

8. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

thanks sanju,

i am also in same boat. i supposed to ask same question like you. i got answers hear to my question as well.

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

You know I met a female developer who is actually an expert and I was surprised to find out she is grandmother of not +7/8 yrs old kids.