10 years same company good or bad!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Kamalinik, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Kamalinik

Kamalinik New IL'ite

Hi all, kindly help! Super depressed and confused.

I have been associated with the same company for last ten years, work was on and off challenging so I wasn't even thinking abt changing but off late I dnt feel motivated at all. Everyday I drag myself to work, I need money and I can't afford to stay at home. Meanwhile I also love my colleague, we have planned to get married this year. I went for couple of interviews but they weren't that good so I had to let go. But off late I have been ignored for important meetings and decesions looks like they don't need me anymore. That hurts and I feel depressed and I hate to see new joinees paid twice my salary. my friends keep telling me to wait patiently, get married and get the maternity benefits and then quit but I can't even think I can wait that long. Pls pls help. Should I search for a job or should I continue here for some more time. Pls advice. Appreciate ur time and thanks for helping me.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister @kamalinik

:welcome to IL family, CONGRATS soon bride to be,

Well since it is a decade, I feel you should start searching for the soulful change, take your time and try to fix the job before you quit.

Take the current one less seriously, avail wedding leave and other benefits bcoz now if you take a new job, you may not even get paid leave for your marriage, so bear those things in mind, focus on marriage and new job hunt, as you get one then you may switch over, this is JMO.

May Baba bless you and get you the right job for the next few years for a happy married life. SAIRAM

3 people like this.
  3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Well now is not definitely the time to move out of the "comfort zone" job!

If things are moving ahead in your personal life - getting married - it is best you keep this job for some more time, until you settle into your new role as a wife.

Adjusting to new wife status at home, and new joinee in a new office simultaneously may be difficult...

But you should never stop looking out for new opportunities. Keep an eye out, you can act on it after a few months....

Best wishes for your wedding... :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Apply for a new job, get it and move.

5. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Learn new skills at work, that may come in handy for future interviews. Involve yourself in work, ask your manager to appoint some work to you. Do not sit idle, else you will keep worrying.

Apply for other jobs and then, leave as soon as you can. If you are not looking to change company, look at the internal job postings in your company. Try something different as compared to what you are working on. Perhaps a diverse skillset will help you get jobs in other companies as well.

Waiting for maternity is a long time to be stuck in an environment you don't like. It is not good to let your career stagnate.

2 people like this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

hi @kamalinik

I think what your friends suggest is right. When big events are going to happen in your personal life, try not to worry about your career by keeping it secure and steady. 10 yrs in company, if there will be days you will be not be top performer, it will work. But if you find a new job now, which you do not know what kind of environment you land in, marriage will impact work.

Giving you personal example. I was in company for few good years and was going through same condition. Feeling bored, depressed, static life...no challenges ,no interest.
    I think it happens with everyone once in while and we start googling for jobs. Moreover this life in IT industry is so fast. So despite co-workers suggesting me, not a good time to switch, I did. And when after 1 yr I was in family way I realized the mistake I did.

I did not even spend half of the time you did, but I liked friends there and company. So 10 yrs is long time. Its like a relationship you built. Sometimes after going out of company you know what you lost.
    I like when I have people to greet and gossip in the morning and when i come back from vacation, there should be people to share experiences with.

1 person likes this.
  7. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

Some people have made great careers staying in one place. You need to evaluate your career path. If you are sidelined in some meetings, you need to check if your disinterest is showing in your demeanor and body language. People jump jobs for a few bucks but it's important to check if its for the right reasons.

In the end, it's not a big deal. One important criteria in my view is if you are working for a fair boss. A fair boss in the end is more contributing to a good career. A fair winning boss on a hot career track should not be left unless the other options are compelling, IMO.

1 person likes this.
  8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I have stayed in a single company for more than a decade as I was happy with my growth. I left because I moved to US due to my husbands Job and my company had projects in a different area than where I stayed and I did not want to relocate.

yes there are lot of benefits if you stay long! you will have good growth which is essential to some one working in india . If you stay in one role in india , you will be a candidate for lay off. I also had good long maternity leave, loss of pay leaves of few months twice and a sabbatical based on my needs .you can have some say in what you want to do and can try out different areas of work without much impact on your career.

so it helps you to evaluate what it is you are lacking here and is there any chance you can remedy that, try and talk to your managers and two up managers about your goals and your issues. People will respond positively if you are proactive.

If you don't see any hope or any change then you can try outside.

One red flag , are you in same role for long time, can the same work can be done by some less experience guy, how are your appraisal ratings .look for these signs , if it looks bad then switch.

Don't compare your salary with new joinees,companies recruit when in hurry and dire need , hence pay more. But it will take care of itself in couple of appraisal cycles. So when you switch too switch for growth in role rather then pay hike.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kamalinik

Kamalinik New IL'ite

Hi @saisakhi, thank you for posting a positive comment. I never expected any reply on the first place. Very true, I need to get back to being positive. There's constant fight between feeling happy for what ever happens - seeing the good in everything that happens, but that is never me! Will definitely wait and see how thats evolve at work and then will decide if I should take a break or move on. thanks for dropping by. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. Kamalinik

Kamalinik New IL'ite

Hi @dimhere! Very true - I got in to this comfort zone, I had a couple of bad incidents with last company so when I joined here I liked the way everyone was professional that was the most important element that I was looking for but now that doesnt matter - I want to be recognized for efforts that I put but that doesnt happen - I feel I am always taken for granted. But as you said - I dont have any clue on what my post marriage schedule is of. Guess I should blindly go by your advice. Will def built by confidence by looking out for new opportunities, will built by skill set - something that I have not even focused on. Thanks and you really brought back some confidence in me. Thanks!