Do not know how to go on in life.............

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Dec 31, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have lots of dreams and ambitions..none fulfilled.not that i cannot hardwork...but mind overthinks,unfocused and unclear.

i came to usa on h4 visa..and did not study or do anything for 4 yrs..at that time i did not care about working but now understood that being a homemaker in america is looked down.i want to tried working but still did not feel good as it was tiring.i lately very lately realised i should do somthing i am passionate about.I reasearched on dietician courses..sounds very interesting for me and something i liked but now am 34.it is a 4 yr degree.now dealing with hyper kids.even if i study with them i will be 39 by the time i finish and will i get a job as a fresher then??
    I FELT I HAD LOST MY CHANCE...

I am a ba economics,got lucky and worked as an HR for sometime.absoultely not passionate about it but worked just for the peer pressure amongst relatives.everyone is in a high end job and showoff a lot. worst is,i remember one particular comment by a relative who brought herself a prada bag.she said"I work and earn.not live under my husband's money and being idle all day.so i deserve a prada bag.you should not waste money on these expensive things as you do not earn".the comment KILLED ME.

I know some ms office skills,i can brush up little accounts and quickbooks but i do not know what to do next..

2. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

I feel your confidence has been completely killed by that relative of yours.
    You are not working, read "earning" does not mean that you do not deserve good stuff. Your spouse is able to work and manage a career because you are supporting him, and you are there to take care of other responsibilities. Being a homemaker is nothing to shy off, or looked down upon.

But if your kids are a little grown and do not require complete attention, you could start a short course to build competency and help your entry to job market. You could also pick up a good hobby to give rest to unwanted thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

If that thoughtless comment is the only reason u want to get to job market just stop thinking about the comment and enjoy life with your kids!!!

Else don't think age and mone criteria for your passion and life. Enjoy your home husband kids and do what YOU feel like doing

1 person likes this.
  4. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello anika,
    Being a homemaker is not something to be looked down upon. I agree with Shari that since u r taking care of ur children and house, ur DH is able to concentrate on work.
    What I don't agree with u is that regarding ur age and education.
    C Anika, if u r passionate about studying age does not come into picture. That is what i believe. Whether u can earn something after u get a degree/diploma should not be the criteria.
    If earning is the only criteria, then take some short term diploma courses, or learn some work related skills, you can even try some work from home option.
    All the world is ur Oyster, u just have to explore it.
    ALL THE BEST.

2 people like this.
  5. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite

Hello Anika,

First, don't take ur relatives talks into heart. Has your husband ever told not to get expensive stuffs as u are not working. If not, don't worry about others. They shd be jealous that ur husband is a sweetheart..

Second, don't you dare look down as a home-maker or never think that others think in that way. I being a working women can tell you that being a home-maker is a tough and indeed a GREAT job. Just that, try to have some quality time for yourself so that you relax yourself like doing yoga. Build in self confidence. Join some baking class or cookery class or something like this that u are interested in and that will build yourself.

Third, there is no age bar to study. At this age of 34, u still can study if you are passionate about the dietician course as well. If you think the period of course is too long, you can start with a one year course first. Get lots of details about the course before you start. Think if you are interested in it in all the aspects. Never go for job since because you want a job. That's the reason you didn't like your HR job, I guess.

Once you start building yourself, of course you will be able to manage to work/study and take care of kids as well. Do ask your husband also in taking care of kids.

All the best lady..

1 person likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks madhuprabha:)

9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks yogini:) felt good:)

1 person likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

for me what happens is..if i earn(not much) people comment "oh! that's not financially independent"..something or the other:(

for me any money is good money and any job done sincerely should be appreciated.
    the inflated ego of my relatives!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.