Disorganised life!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sweetum, Dec 4, 2014.

1. sweetum

sweetum Senior IL'ite

Hello all!

Well I got married last year but I am still struggling with finding time to do everything on my own : cleaning, cooking, washing clothes, ironing etc.

I am also a working woman. I wanted to ask you all working women how do you manage to do everything on your own.

Also, how to speed up the cooking process. And how often do you cook in a day? have to prepare breakfast, make lunch box and prepare dinner too. I am also a novice at cooking so it takes me more time to cook. I never really learned cooking before marriage. Husband often complains that food is tasteless.

On top of that I want to learn driving, go for meditation classes, go hit the gym to get a toned body and want to go for cooking classes. And need to find time to study too for my forthcoming exams.

How do I find time to get all these done?

I really hate myself for not being able to do what all I want. I also tend to oversleep..

I would be grateful if you could advise me on what would make my life easier and more organized.

I have to reach work at 8.30 am and leave work at 5pm. By 5.45pm I am back home. And I do not work during the weekends.

Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

2. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Your husband should be sharing household chores with you equally, what is even worse is that he calls your cooking bad cooking!

Sit down with him over the weekend, and discuss how you are going to divide chores EQUALLY between the two of you.
    Make a list of this and stick it on the fridge to remind you both of it.

I believe you live in India. Is it not possible for you to hire a maid for laundry, dish washing, sweeping, dusting and mopping?

Make a weeks menu well in advance over the weekend( except for the veggies to be cooked, since that depend on the availabilty), this helps in saving time everyday on pondering over what to cook. Make preparations accordingly.

Start one activity at a time depending on your preference and then slowly introduce others.
    Something like driving classes is temporary, once you are done you can allot that time for some other activity.

2 people like this.
  3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Half of the stuff to your husband. It is not fair you doing it alone. If he complain about the food tell him that he can do the cooking and you take the laundry ;).

During weekdays we eat very simple, breakfast sandwiches, fruits cereals. Lunch at cafeteria. During weekends I make batches of food that we eat for dinner.

1 person likes this.
  4. sweetum

sweetum Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I believe I will start with the driving classes first and then move on to other activities like you suggested.

Husband doesn't do much at home. He just sits and watches movies. I have to take care of everything from getting the groceries to daily house work. I guess it's high time that I talk to him about doing things too and getting a maid.

What do I do about the cooking? What to cook daily?

1 person likes this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

What thegirlygirl says - your husband HAS to share the workload. Or just get a maid and a cook so that you have time to do the hints you want.

OP, I hate cooking and learnt reluctantly many years after marriage. Once it clicks it is not such a big deal at all; now, DH and I still fall over laughing when I'm looked upon as an expert with people seeking my recipes. (I still hate it and would get a cook in in a jiffy if I could find one)
    mic you really are interested in cooking, Freeze dal, cooked rotis and currys to make your life easier. Get all the different MTR and Everest masala packets.

And jmportantly enlist your husband to do a big chunk of it.

2 people like this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

sweetum, You are a newly married Indian couple. If you follow TGG or Crayoness' suggestions straight off, you may encounter trouble esp. if yours was an arranged marriage. Go slow, do as much chores as you can, slowly step-by-step get your H involved with chores. If you do 50% chores is yours to start with, your newly budding relationship will hit trouble.

Practical 'workable' advice in "Indian context": Build a good relshp with H, and then slowly step by step get him involved in chores.

7. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Have you thought of doing the same?

Tomorrow while returning from work, have a nice sandwich and a shake on the way.

Once at home, you too just sit and watch tv along with him.................................and then lets see what happens :coffee

3 people like this.
  8. sweetum

sweetum Senior IL'ite

I want to learn cooking. I hear my husband praising his friend's wife cooking and I feel bad that I do not know cooking well. :(

Well, I guess I will hire a maid for cleaning and ironing.

Did anybody of you study while being married plus working? How did you do all of that?

9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

outsource the cutting/washing the dishes to your husband. Tell him you need more time to concentrate in the cooking for the dishes to taste better...how mean that he calls your food tasteless...

4 people like this.
  10. sweetum

sweetum Senior IL'ite

How did you learn cooking, @guesshoo? :)