will i be able to establish or fall down in my starting career if I am pregnant

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by mirrorimage, Nov 11, 2014.

1. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,

Basically we moved to US..and I am searching for a job to an entry level position in software...
    I am confident I will get through a company by this month...hopefully..fingers crossed...
    but we have reached 2 years of marriage life..
    lot of pressure from in-laws for kid...i understand...
    Husband also is more keen on satisfying them..I am okay to have kids..
    But since I am starting off newly I am lil skeptical if I can give my time to both career and pregnancy....I want to be independent and successful woman...because I somehow feel it boosts my confidence....and I just love software....
    But I am lil scared to start off thinking if i can give 100% to my career when I am having a baby in US...Because it takes time to establish yourself whatever job you take up.....I dont know if I can establish or will I fall down by this decision of my husband.....

Having a kid is something which has to happen in my life..and I love to be...
    But I also want to establish myself..make a mark that I am worthy candidate ...
    Not sure if its possible if I plan my pregnancy during my start of my career..but I dont have an option..my husband is stern..he wants a baby as soon as I get a job...

sometimes i feel marriage is such a huge responsibility..you have to satisfy the needs of so many...but its ok...should it be at the cost of your own goals,ambitions and desires????

2. happyindianwife

happyindianwife New IL'ite

We waited four years after our marriage to have our first baby early next year. I think you should atleast give yourself 1-2 years before starting a family. Impress your co-workers with your work ethics so that they would miss you when you go for maternity.

1 person likes this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I don't think joining a new job and becoming pregnancy immediately is good more so because a new job may give you stress in your crucial time . Also check maternity leave policies at your new company to see f you are eligible for paid leave .

Why not have a baby and then join a job in a year when your baby is little older for daycare.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

take up ur job, wen kid is there companys provide maternity leaves, then join back ... kid can be at daycare or ils, grandparents

5. brownmamba

brownmamba New IL'ite

Same here. My wife is pregnant. She works for a company for two years. Now she has to go for maternal leave. And then she will stay home for an year to look after kid. I told her that I will happily do it, but she wont agree since mine is the better paid job.
    It totally sucks to have this career break. We would have pushed it off one more year, but then got scared off this age risks and all.
    I would recommend you to work at least for one year and then go for the baby. Our baby will come in the fourth year of our marriage. So there is atleast one more couple like you both :)

1 person likes this.
  6. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes, I agree with the above..
    Work atleast 1 year.. But there should be no problem starting to plan after 6 months, because very very few people get the luck in the very first month.. You don't have to stress out when you plan.. Just keep your mind open and stress free

And you can work 1 more year until delivery.. So you have clocked in 2 years of work before maternity leave and by that time, you would have proved yourself.. Good luck, all will be well for you

1 person likes this.
  7. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

hey,

don't go for pregnancy. 2 yrs ago i fallen into same position like you. but i went for pregnancy.i left my internship which is entry for my career. but due to pregnancy around 2 yrs gap came b/w academics & entry of career. now no one is helping me to enter into career again. DH & Parents & IL's all are saying that baby is your duty. so take care him at least until his school age & then do as per your wish. i also love software field. even though i am having nice skills with me, now i am unable to enter into field because lack of experience, gap b/w academics & entry ,lack of helping hands to take care baby.

even after some time if i get s/w job i can't allot time to myself to enjoy my salary because thinking about family finance & kids issues will roaming in our mind. so join in job first & enjoy at least more than 1.5 yrs. then plan for pregnancy. so you can rejoin in career with experience & can show a cause to In-laws to care your baby by them.

1 person likes this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

I too agree that if you are already in job, and have your work - home balance, then going for kids is good,
    you can take maternity leave, and u will know that u will rejoin the company, with out worrying about career at and after delivery time. after delivery of few months, you can join back to your company.

As u r in Bangalore, you can get good baby care centers, keep ur home close to ur work place, find baby care center also near by, so that baby can get more time of yours, u can visit baby at lunch time may be,

(With baby in ur hands, ur almost tied, then u wont get much time for searching a job. ur brain would be filled with all baby stuff.:),
    but if u r in ur thirties, then may be u can give priority to have a baby first.)

All the best.

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

If you are working in USA (lucky enough to get a job even now) and immediately get pregnant, legally it is OK but you will be hurting yourself jobwise. It will be seen as you only got the job to get health insurance/maternity leave and that you are not serious as to your vocation. Although no one will even be able to be honest about that, that is what is going to happen.

I have ZERO patience with yet another post where the parents are "making" someone get pregnant. Grow a spine. If you are not even strong enough to stand up to anyone about your reproductive rights, how are you even qualified to be the parent of a helpless little baby?

10. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Like other said..if you are career oriented or want to pursue it don't go for pregnancy until you are stabilized. Later on it will be really difficult to cope-up with job, pregnancy together specially when you are fresher/new to job. I already faced this when I switched my job , got promotion in new company. Same month I came to know I am pregnant, when my career was about to go on top. Since I already had previous experience of 4.5 years , I was still OK but you are fresher .

What's your age? if you are in mid 20s (even 26-27) you have time ..go for career.