Workplace issue faced by close friend..Kindly advice

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by generic, Nov 3, 2014.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Some common issues faced by my close friend working in IT company:

1. Too much work pressure: The bosses give heavy workload and force employees to stay back for 10 hours everyday.

2. No work from home option is given to ladies.Even ladies who have kids do not have option to wfh if the kid is sick.

3 Favouritism- The people favourable to boss get more flexibilities, their leaves are approved easily and they are given
    more comfortable workload. others not favourable to boss will be forced to do extra work and stay back everyday, they will not get leave
    easily.(the employee maybe performing well but the boss may dislike that person for some reason).

4. If two people are working on an assignment and both put equal effort. At the end of the task, the boss accepts verbally that both have worked hard. but whien he gets chance
    to nominate award for good performance, he gives award to one while other is ignored(even if possible to nominate both).This happened once with my firnd who slogged extra hours for an assignment and was shocked
    when she dint get the award.

5.Boss repeatedly points out mistakes done by one person while others mistakes are ignored.

6. Manager is not ready to release my friend from project and not allowing her to join other project.

How to face such issues? if manager is not proper what can be done?My close relative is a mother of a toddler & struggling
    .She has taken loan & has to work to pay the loan. And she has no time to attend trainings or study for job interview with a naughty baby.

And the HR is not so co operative to address these issues.

How can she tackle diplomatically so she can survive here till she gets a good job ?

2. sangeeG

sangeeG Silver IL'ite

if there is no appreciation for the work done then no need to work extra hours
    ask her to just leave on time by completing the work which is possible in that 8 hours.

ask her to apply sick leave and stay at home when toddler needs her.
    No one can oppose sick leave.

2 people like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

If the boss is bad , continuously ask for a release , usually they will ask
    why, so need to be prepared to give a good answer, if in support say want to move to development , if in development say want to move to support , if she has few here experience ask for a lead role , ask for promotion , ask for an on site role ..
    not all together but choose which one is more feasible to achieve.

Take some planned leave of say one week or two week to prepare and attend for jk. Interviews . If one is working day in and day out in a technology , should already have enough knowledge , no special studying required. One key thing is work on communication if t is not very good . Just attend few interviews to get to know the market And kind of questions which are being asked . Go online and search for questions . Write down in detail your last and current project , your contribution , highlights and challenges . This will help answer most of the questions .

most of the woman fear attending interviews and starting over , just go and apply and attend interview . Think it as a learning process not a testimony for your knowledge .most often you will find it is easier to crack an interview then we realize . Just get over the initial fear and go.

if the boss is bad one option is to leave . But need to remember the long hours is a norm in India , so you may very well end up with a similar boss in future .we have to work on marketing ourselves constantly , remember hardwork will not always get you recognition , what sells most of the time is your own advertisement and marketing . This is yeh age where advertisement works. If one is talented and if they work on this aspect it will lead to good opportunities and satisfaction otherwise we will just be left feeling frustrated.

1 person likes this.
  4. pguptha

pguptha New IL'ite

welcome to IT field

2 people like this.
  5. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Yes..health is more important, no point in working long hours if one does not get any credit for it.

6. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Very good & practical advice..thanks :)

7. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

And when it comes to appraisal, unless you come out to be vocal and voice your opinions, women will continue to be sided out. We just have to fight it out.

It is sad, but Yes, it would take atleast another generation for all humanbeings see men and women as equal intellectually. In this era, we still need to put in 200% to get ahead !!! Sad but true ! After proving couple of times, you would no longer be sidelined. I have seen this phenomenon as well :)

1 person likes this.
  8. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I wouldn't make it a gender issue. If a man is perceived as too soft to pick up a fight, he wouldn't get raises either. Its survival of the fittest, in some places, sadly.

3 people like this.
  9. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

In this case, its' not a gender issue...there are men & women who go through this..being a victim of partiality /favoritism & unable to get any appreciations..

I come across a man also complaining that he has worked log hours on weekdays & went to office on weekends also, to ,meet the targets on /ahead of time..

his boss gave him an average performance rating, and he did not get any raise in salary. There are many bosses who tell the employes to back off if they as much as raise the topic of salary hike etc.

If a person is unlucky enough to be disliked by seniors, life becomes hell for them even if they work efficiently.

10. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

In a group of men and women, when there is an opportunity, still men gets picked first (even before people come to know and understand personalities) and women do get sidelined.

I agree. it is a fight for Survival. My point was, the fight needed for survival by a woman is still at 200% till they get "recognized" for being "fit".

If situations in India has improved, and if men and women are being treated fairly and squarely, I would be one among the first to be happy !

At the same time, Yes, favoritsm does go a long way !

1 person likes this.