Being an Indian in foreign land have ever had affected in getting job?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by EnlightenedSoul, Nov 3, 2014.

1. EnlightenedSoul

EnlightenedSoul IL Hall of Fame

Being an indian in foreign land have ever had affected in getting job?
    Have you gone thru any such experience? My friends are saying, they will hire you only if they don't have any other option. If they have option between you and other white people, sure they will employ only that person.
    even in public transports, I have noticed, they will sit in all other seats available, and sit next to us only if there is no other seats available.
    is there any discrimination in getting jobs too?
    in job search, have you gone thru a tough time?
    pls share your experiences!

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I did not feel so in my job search .

if it happens it could be for various reasons
    - immigration status

- communication skill an area where
    we need improvement .

- regarding transportation - I see many Indians choosing to sit besides Indians so
    Not really an issue.

1 person likes this.
  3. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Not sure on job searching as I work for indian company. But I noticed in work location that white managers are more friendly and treat in better way with white associates or I would say they prefer. I guess it is applicable for we indian too. if my manager is indian he is more friendly to me as compare to white colleague. But yes, I noticed white doesnot like to report any Indian or any one else. I have a client manager who reports to Indian director (who believe in quality) and heard he do lot of back biting behind his manager. Also if we are in call with W manager with other vendors (white) he speak very polite to them as compare to us.

I have also noticed this in local transport but mainly white girls.

1 person likes this.
  4. EnlightenedSoul

EnlightenedSoul IL Hall of Fame

It's somewhat relaxing to know that they are not only behind w people.
    but it's now almost more than 6 months and didn't even get any call for an interview. Only formal replies, like, we inform you in next campaign.
    i am having a drawback of lack of experience. Since, I got married after studies and then to look after child, a big gap of years without any experience.

5. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

I'm sure it happens whether they realize they're doing it or not themselves. Even happens in the states. There's been a lot of articles about how someone who was conducting a job search but received no interest would drop a couple of letters or change their name just enough to be racially ambiguous and suddenly they began to receive way more interest.

In my trip through Sweden and Norway during the fall, DH and I encountered folks who were clearly discriminatory and others who were completely the opposite and incredibly kind and friendly. We also noticed that those folks that tended to be friendlier and more accepting either lived in big cities, were in the transit industry or hospitality industry meaning that they must encounter all kinds of diverse folks to the point where they no longer get uncomfortable. However, for the folks that are discriminatory, were primarily in outskirts, lesser-diverse areas and it might just be that they're not comfortable quite yet.

In Stockholm, the day we landed, we were instructed by both our taxi driver from the airport and our hotel staff to not go near the Parliament (which was just a block or two away from where we were staying) because there was a massive protest going on about foreigners, refugees immigration and jobs. Lots of angry white people as you can imagine, and thankfully while we were not affected at all...you could understand how it didn't feel like the warmest welcome into this new country and city.

In Norway, I remember taking a shuttle bus to the airport with DH and we sat behind this older white couple towards the front because we wanted closer access to the driver. DH and I were not being noisy or rude or anything, but suddenly this couple got up (mainly the woman initiated it) and nearly moved almost to the back of the bus. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, I feel like I've just gone through a time machine"

But all our other bus rides were fine, and even folks that would remind us to buckle our seat belts on the bus if we forgot. So not all were unfriendly.

So just with a handful of those experiences, I can imagine how the rest of Scandinavia and Iceland, even, has a similar mentality especially for those folks who just aren't that used to foreigners in their country let alone in the workforce.

I'm not sure what other advice I'd give other than just be patient, give them a chance to know you (which is hard because they're a more reserved culture) and...oh, I don't know...maybe the best weapon to disarm their prejudice is a smile?

1 person likes this.
  6. noush

noush Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have very different view to this. it may be true that some people would discriminate, and sometime its so embedded in our thinking that even if there is no discrimination made, because we have it in our mind , we perceive things in that way...

One thing you should know, you need to be confident in your body language.
    Also if you try and put yourself in their shoe you will be able to realise what the employers fear while recruiting people and what they are looking for.

Irrespective of you cultural background, it is your skills that needs to highlight your personality. for example, clear speech (irrespective of your accent), hygiene, can do attitude, politeness. If you keep discriminating yourself then that is highlighted as well, which is never well received by the host.

soo just a few things to remember when you try and establish yourself in someone else country :)

Good luck :)

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Are you living in Iceland (looked at your profile)? Iceland is a very special place as there are only a few hundred thousands inhabitants and they have been isolated for many hundreds of years. My friend (who is white, blond) moved to Iceland and she was treated as an outsider even if she learned the language and has now lived there for 20+ years.

Sweden (and Norway) has been taking big amounts of refugees and this has caused some conflicts as some people do not accept this. Elderly people are not always fluent in english and this can cause people to act rude towards people not talking their language.

According to the statistics in my country the unemployment among immigrants is about 3 times higher compared with the native population. One main reason is the language skills. Most companies prefer to hire people fluent in finnish.

(I found it very awkward when staying in India in a residential area and got a lot of stares. When standing in a queue to the counter people stepped aside when they saw me. )

1 person likes this.
  8. pocahontas

pocahontas Gold IL'ite

To answer your question - merit is important, anywhere. So for a white manager, given a choice between a good white and a much better non-white - he would be inclined to choose non-white (the better) option.

However, when both choices are good, personality and culture issues come into picture. If it is a long term position involving team work, it also matters how we are able to relate to other people and get along with them. Management styles are also very different - for example, an Indian leader may be believe in giving clear instructions so that there is no confusion. And American/European team member may find this stifling. And, an Indian team member used to receiving clear instructions maybe very confused about his role and what is expected out of him in a reverse situation. I know this a huge generalization - I have seen Australian micro managers who need to stay in control as well, but just giving you an idea.
    Another thing I have seen is the difference in the way we work - Indians are prepared to slog it out even after office hour and weekends if required. So an Indian boss might have similar expectations from his non-Indian team, which the team may not like. However, in general our sense of timing is not great. We (most of us!) tend to take things lightly - don't see a difference between 8:30 or 8:35, we don't get the cultural differences/nuances (which can build up hostility in a team).
    For example, my colleagues in US would keep asking a client manager why he was not married to his girlfriend and would make jokes about finding him another beautiful girl. The couple had been together for 15 years and didn't believe in marriage. In Australia, an Australian colleague had a baby with his partner - my colleagues wanted to know if he would still need to pay child support if they separated and asked his partner! A colleague introduced his gay partner to a group of us in an X'Mas party. One of my colleagues refused to shake his hand and basically made it very obvious that he didn't want to work with him anymore. Many such instances. So there may also be some background to this *discrimination*.

I am not saying only Indians/Asians do this. But anyone who does stuff like this is being insensitive and not very popular. And of course, people will pounce back on me saying - there is also racism directed at us. Now, that is a different topic altogether :)

IMO, it is comparatively easier to land a job in US/Australia/some parts of Europe. There are also some job markets that are restrictive in nature. Here, you can thinking of volunteering first (depends on your profile and the kind of job that you want) and building a network. Local experience will also help you in understanding the work culture of that place and many jobs have this a requirement. Find other Indians/foreigners who have found jobs in your area of expertise and ask them to give you tips. Talk to recruiters and find out how you can project yourself as a better candidate. Maybe your resume needs some sprucing up. Traditional Indian resumes are generally duties driven, outside there is a focus on what you have managed to achieve so far and what you do for the company you are applying to. Also, do you have a valid visa status to work or would you need sponsorship. In a lot of cases, this is the deal breaker/maker.

All the best!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Sweetgirl123

Sweetgirl123 Silver IL'ite

Though there might be discrimination as well, this is probably the reason.
    Iceland (and a lot of European countries) have a strong apprenticeship system, where lots of practical experience is gained. If you are lacking this, it might be a big minus against you. Depending on your age, you might be able to join such a program. Have you gone to any career advisor or such to ensure that your qualifications are accepted at all in the country where you are staying?

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I am sure everyone has different experiences. I have been in US for ~10 years and just accepted a position in Australia. Before this, I lived in UK for few months and have travelled to several European countries. Personally, I have not seen any discrimination. If you are good, people will hire you regardless of your nationality/ color. My experience might be different from lot of other people here because I am in academia and there are lot of very well reputed, international scientists.
    As far as bus ride and other such experiences, my husband (a Caucasian) gets more stares and comments in India (feels more out of place) than I do in West.