Hi ladies....I really need your help...

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Sep 30, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I want to purse my education.

Reason is I feel very inferior coz am just a bachelors in arts that too passed in third class..I want to study not to work but for my self esteem.

I used to be so distracted by other silly things back in teenage that I forgot how important education is to a person's self esteem.

I have a wonderful life with great kids,amazing dh and financially secure.Infact,I was smart enough to secure jobs and stay in it for few years but now at home with the kids.
    You may think nothing to feel inferior but my relatives always put me down saying I am nothing.they are MBA,MS holders who work in such esteemed jobs.According to them,my job is nothing and my life is nothing but "luck".their taunts annoy me a lot.Also,my ex friends whom I had the illuck to contact kept sneering and made sarcastic comments that I am doing what I am worth "sitting at home".

I know we need to have self respect and like my other posts no need for validation.
    However,I kept thinking what would make me respect myself more?

An education.

I do not know what to study and where to start..

can you suggest me some degree courses which could be beneficial in the future too?

2. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Hi Anika,

Sorry to hear you had to bear with put downs. Why are you letting them do this to you? Don't tolerate nonsense from them.

Reading your post, I feel you are happy with your life as is. You are only pursuing further education to make others respect you.

What you do with your own life is your decision, and no one can deride you for it. Those other ladies seem to be unhappy with how their lives are turning out. Are they happily married? Do they have kids?

Maybe they are taunting you because they are jealous of your happiness. If that is the case, then they will not stop taunting even if you get further education. They will always find something.

It is not just sufficient to have self respect. You also have to show them you are confident with who you are.

Give smart answers to their taunts. Keep repeating to them the good things that have happened to you. Keep saying - I am so lucky to have such and such in my life. When they say you have been lucky, agree whole heartedly. Say Yes I am really lucky. When they taunt you about education, taunt them back about their cooking/ housekeeping/ any other thing that they are not good at. Sometimes, just appear to be amused at what they say, without reacting to them. They will understand you think they are being foolish. When you act confident, they will keep quiet.

Its important to stay in touch with current events and news, so you can talk about these things in front of them. They will have a harder time dismissing you as inferior then. Also, there are many online courses from top universities. Some even give certifications at nominal costs. You can search for these, check the syllabus, and opt for the course you like.

4 people like this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My suggestion to you, based on what I did in the past that was beneficial, is this:

Since you are stuck on what to pursue, I suggest doing personality testing before anything else. A good tester will give you several different tests and then give you a synthesized result based on your tests. In my case, I first did testing via the government employment office (in West Virginia where I lived at the time). Then I did testing with a Catholic priest who administered tests in the various convents and monasteries. Based on what I learned it was both empowering and pointed me away from some areas and towards others. Here are two results that in my case were helpful. The first was that I was a die hard extrovert (in Meyers Briggs definition) which would point me towards any areas that required lot of exposure to people, talking, selling, teaching, etc. (My introvert father spent a lot of years telling me I talked too much and learning of this as a strength was very freeing.) The second area was that I was highly intuitive and my decision making style (equally valid to other styles) was through my intuition. Now I don't bother explaining to other people "how I knew that". You will have to do a little work in order to find good testers but you can find if you are motivated to do this. For you, you can find areas to pursue, whether as a vocation or an avocation, that will make you happy. It will also help you when you are with your children to help them find meaning in their lives.

2 people like this.
  4. AnithaAnand18

AnithaAnand18 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Anika,
    You are gifted with kids,leading very happy life which is very difficult for Most of the people to get it.For self identity you improve your Skills and find out your strengths.
    Knowledge differs person to person.Do any Course according to your interests it need not to be MBA or MCA and always prove that you are the best in whatever you do.
    All the Best and be Happy
    AnithaAnand

1 person likes this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Pursuit of education is good (always at any age), however in this context -
    Some people search for problems even if they dont exist in life :)
    [Not talking abt the education interest, that is good, just talking abt ur other threads related to this]

1 person likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks all you lovely ladies:)

U r right ragini... Sometimes we fail to understand good things in our life:(
    thx to everyone for the kind words and support

7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I know one of my neighbor who is school dropout (as per her) and she is much better than many of us (atleast better than me ) in many aspects. She speaks fluent English (better than me who works with Americans), a very good cook, crafty (her house is full of beautiful crafts), and good home manager/mother of 2 and much more confident than us in outside world. On top of that everyone in her family (her ILs) proud on her.

Education or working status doesn't matter much.

3 people like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

You seem like a nice person priya:)

i always like your replies to many posts.
    Never sarcastic or rude no matter what.
    always appreciative and encouraging.
    world need more people like u.
    be tat way always:)

1 person likes this.
  9. bhagyabreeze

bhagyabreeze New IL'ite

Hi..I want study beauty course someone help me...I'm from singapore