How to deal with dominant co-worker

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Challenge, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Challenge

Challenge Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,

not sure if I am posting this under right forum, here is one issue facing everyday at work and need your expert advices.

After a years career break I joined a new company compromised to join for junior level but better pay out of desperation. I am liking the work even if it is a level down
    but what concerns me is the treatment I get from my senior colleague. she is senior as in the company but not if compared to my age and experience. But her rude behaviour demotivates me to work there. As a new employee I am trying my best to grasp as much as I can. I feel the need to have open dialogue but sitting next to me for 8-10 hours this lady doesn't open her mouth except to give me 1or 2 instructions if she feels or to point out my mistakes. If I try to ask her any doubts she many a times bluntly replies she is busy and doesn't bother to give me time.

However her behaviour is totally different with anyone walking at her desk and is free to chat with them.
    I conveyed this to seniors but don't see any effect on her. For each n everything I get only emails and no verbal discussion at all.

Only what I hear at end of the day, once you finish work I will give you more.
    I am not sure how to deal with it as it's really frustrating to work like machine and
    And cannot contact HR as we ourselves are HR!

1 person likes this.

2. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Always senior workers will try to show their dominancy over new employees, since you are new you might think too much. I would say keep doing your work, prove yourself, keep moving...don't worry too much as long as you paid and report to them you should be fine.

3. adismom

adismom Bronze IL'ite

Though I understand how uncomfortable you might feel about this wierd behaiou of your co-worker, I would say its best to just go about your business and no try to confront her and make the situation more uncomfortable. Since you already tried to speak to your seniors and that didnt work, I dot see what else will. Just ignore this and after a while, maybe try to change who you are working with if possible. People come with all kind of different behaviors and sometimes it is best to not waste our time and thoughts trying to figure them out.

4. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Dear Challenge,
    There are two sides to every coin. The first lesson you should have learnt from this experience is, when newcomers come, don't show your muscle and be kind to them.

Second, you talk about your age and experience and how you are not treated properly inspite of it. So, is it okay if a person with lesser experience and lesser age is ill-treated. Leave out the ego of being of a higher age or experience.

What are the things you can do better under the current circumstances:

1. Develop a smooth relationship with this co-worker of yours. Other than asking for help, Have small chat every morning and any time in between. Talk about family, kids, weekend, vacations, areas which stresses her. If you have her as a friend, she will have harder time to not help you. In short, have a lot to offer to her as a human being and as a friend.

2. Have a idea of who else can help you other than her. Keep an eye on who all your co-worker interacts with. After all she inherited the knowledge from some one right. So, go to to others whenever possible and keep this co-worker for when you can't go to anyone else kind of questions.

3. When you do have to go to her, make it a big deal. Tell her, you are so sorry to bother her and tell her all the work you have done up front to get to a resolution by yourself and you are turning to her as you are stuck and don't have a way forward. For this to work, you really have to do all the work upfront and make sure no stone is unturned when you go to her. People don't like when someone comes to them without trying themselves in a work environment.

4. Work hard in these initial months. It will pay off big time.

5. Don't think of complaining to higher ups. Sometimes if you are stuck, you can ask your higher up on what to do and they might tell you to ask your coworker. You can go to your coworker and say, sorry to bother you but the boss asked me to get with you regarding this.

If you do all of the above for 3-4 weeks, you might get a better idea of where things are. Come back and share with us if you have further issues.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

She is very insecure!

U have more experience and u were at a level better in a different company so she is scared u might do well and even take over her very soon!

1) Try to befriend her

2) suck it up,work hard,get to her level or even better and then show who's boss or just treat her right!

4) u have experience and u can definitely get a better job in a different company.U quitting does not mean u r a loser but u do not need to tolerate no more nonsense.
    Job is one thing but u need to like the atmosphere, else it is a damper to your self esteem and also raises other problems where u show annoyance to ur loved ones..

5) if u r not in dire need of finance,just look for a job elsewhere..

6) Also, Check out another department if u can.

7. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

It might be her insecurity. You can stick to what you are best at doing i.e. your work with lots of patience and smile on your face. If you'll show her that you're unfazed by her behavior, gradually she'll be okay!

8. Challenge

Challenge Senior IL'ite

Thank you everyone for the support .
    Now I following let my performance speak and let her behave as per her wish as it is not in my hand. I am focussing on developing relations with others. Whenever possible I give
    compliments to her and try to be informal during break time. Hoping this is paassing phase....

1 person likes this.
  9. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

wow, mine is a micro manager.. wont close her mouth. she checks on me every 15 min.... but leaves all men to smoke. Me too new to the job.. I am going for another job once contract is done. For now just being friends with her and keep myself busy and cheerful. I dont want to be sad beacuse of her. I also try to see if its my mistake but I can try only so much *sigh*Why do females make bad bosses?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  10. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Females do not make any worse bosses than men. There are good and leaders in both genders.

1 person likes this.