What to wear to work in USA?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Sags, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Sags

Sags Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

i am new to USA and i about to start working with in a month so i want to be ready with dresses and stuff. In india i use to wear kurta and legging but here i see all wearing formal pants. Wear can i buy formal wear and what else i can wear apart from a shirt n a trouser.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

you can invest in some good skirts, dont go for very short or very long skirts and pencil pants .for formal wear you can opt for good button down shirts, some fancy , but not too much frilly blouses and tops. if the place you are going to work is in colder climate some good blazer and also coats will look nice.

2 people like this.
  3. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

Depending on where you're living, working along with your line of work, it varies.

I'd recommend A-line dresses (sheath, shirt-dresses or with quarter sleeves) or skirts for the spring/summer/early fall that are knee length or more pair with a nice belt, scarf and shoes. A-lines tend to be universally flattering, versatile, more comfortable and still carries a nice shape (I have to travel, get in front of people and clients a lot so this works out well for me). I wear these kinds of dresses 80% of the time and when it's colder outside, I gradually add on hosiery and layers. Sheer for warmer seasons, opaque/thick tights with woven cardigans for the cooler seasons.

Pencil skirts can be nice especially for more formal days, but get the right fit to avoid clingy-ness or having it ride up. If you do happen to wear these, a good investment to consider are slips that come in the form of high-waisted shorts or skirts to avoid having the skirt ride up or accidents in windy weather :)

Trousers and investing in nice high-end denim is also great paired with blouses, button up shirts, peplum tops (be careful with this, it can very easily look like maternity wear otherwise), and dressy tops.

For shoes: Flats, Sandals and Strappy Heels for warmer seasons. Ankle booties or Knee Length Boots for the colder seasons (starting with fall).

I do most of my online purchasing at: Modcloth, Ideeli, Hautelook, Zappos, Zara, Mango, Uniglo, BlueFly, Express, and with the occasional Asos, H&M or Forever21. I also try services like personalized stylist services StitchFix or JustFab about once or twice a year.

For In Person: Local Boutiques, Nordstroms/Nordstroms Rack, Macy's with the occasional T.J. Max if I'm feeling lucky.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Sags,

It depends on your work environment and your comfort level. Are you okay with dresses and skirts? If yes, Hasteraho already gave great suggestions.
    If you are not very comfortable with dresses yet, I'd suggest you to focus on trousers with blouses and button down shirts. Dark wash denim are also well accepted in most work places. A scarf is also a good way to accessorize.
    Sheath and shift dresses are quite formal and go well with most body types. You might want to stay away from a shirt dress if you aren't very comfortable wearing short dresses (shirt dresses tend to be shorter). You'd definitely want to keep your skirts and dresses knee length. I love pencil skirts (no worry if it's windy), if your skirt rides up it means it is too tight. Pencil skirts are fun to dress up/ down.
    Kurta and leggings would be fine too. I wear Indian outfits often, key is to wear more neutral colors.
    I rarely shop online. I usually shop at Macy's, JC Penney, Nordstorm (jeans, trousers and dresses), Banana Republic, The Limited (online), Talbots (esp silk blouses and dresses), Old Navy (basic tees for layering, scarves), Ann Taylor and Loft (great place for dresses, blouses, jeans and pants), New York and Co., local boutiques etc.
    Invest in few nice cardigans that can go with pretty much every thing (basic black, gray and a few colored).

1 person likes this.
  5. Sags

Sags Silver IL'ite

Thanks all for the replies :) let me try few of them but i am heavy not sure how i will like them up on me

1 person likes this.
  6. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

Oh fret not, there's plenty of options :) Dressy long tops or tunic tops that come up mid thigh are also quite popular and stylish paired with nice belts and denim bottoms.

I would say to visit a few of these stores in person to get a sense of sizing and shapes. Nordstroms has a nice guide on how to measure yourself to get the right fit. They even offer personal stylist appointments to help you get started (you can book these online)
    Dress Fit Guide for Women | Nordstrom
    Personal Stylist & Personal Shopper Info

I also loved watching What Not to Wear which was a TV show that gave makeovers to people but taught them how to spot pieces that were well-suited for their body shapes but also spoke a lot about what's well-suited for the workplace...and how dressing professionally goes a long, long way. I learned a ton watching these shows when they were still on the air :) you can probably find episodes now online on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Youtube.

It's a fantastic guide to get acquainted with styles and learn about how to find pieces that highlight your features in a way that works both personally and professionally.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.