To be a working women or a homemaker ??

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Jun 19, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My reasons for not working are:

1) dealing with hyper active toddlers
    2) hubby leaves at 7 in the morning and returns home late after 8 or 9 pm
    3) I am not too career oriented and do not mind being a homemaker
    4) financially we are fine
    5) I have zero help.MIL just wants to watch ipad all day and offers zero help.
    6) I have worked for small jobs and i have to be practical too.I am not going to get a 100k job nomore.I am not in IT or am i qualified for that.day is expensive

Are the above valid reasons?

I recently develped an inferiority complex...thanks to my aunt and cousin..

reasons..

1) one of my cousin got a good job recently and she claims homemakers r wasting life
    2) she feels she is financially independent and homemakers are not
    3) she feels tomm something happens she can stand on her own legs and homemakers either have to live on welfare which is cheap or be helpless
    4) she and my aunt says working women are any day better than homemakers
    5) having kids are not a reason for being at home.many women who have kids and still work
    6) small job for time pass is again a waste.one should earn well.

I am so very confused. Honestly, I am very hardworking and keep a good home.I LOVE BEING A HOMEMAKER.I may sound so old fashioned but I just love being a homemaker.I am passionate abt it.but when it comes to office work (which I did) I get lazy..just not in my blood.However..the inferiority complex is killing me these days..

U guys can be very honest and help me deal with this..any inputs are welcome..I need to know if iam doing the right thing being at home..If working outside is absolutely the better thing, then I am also ready to work hard for that..

please pour your thoughts..

9 people like this.

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Resmi,

You yourself answered question .I LOVE BEING A HOMEMAKER.I may sound so old fashioned but I just love being a homemaker.I am passionate abt it.

Trust me if you will listen to others you will never be happy and they will make you realize you are wasting time. I feel you and your DH is Okay with you as HW then why to listen others. Everything has pros and cons. I am working mom and often hear from other's (relatives and some friends who do not work), how heartless am I, can I compensate my time with money etc leaving kid for whole day. So it's people who make you realize whatever you are doing is wrong. I like to work and can not spend whole day at home plus we need financial support to ensure my family future, is the reason of my working.

You know my mom is not very educated but struggled a lot. She says - never hear to others, they are here to make you down. The day you feel you are not satisfied with job and feeling you should give more time to kid ..leave the job but not because others are saying. I'll suggest you same thing hear only when your heart says. And there is no small or big job..some one gets 100K and some get 10K..if you are satisfied with work..it's good.

6 people like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

thanks priya..I was very happy with my work..but salary is minimal which I do not have a problem with but seems to be an "issue" with my relatives.meeting the time and again and hearing views from them is so very annoying.U stand up to them..still u cannot win!
    anyways thanks for understanding well.I wish many people are like u and respect each one for their choices and priorities.

4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

First ,they are making you feel bad. Don't let them to do so. Our granny's were homemakers still they made our parents absolutely right. Only for them we are in IT worlds making more than 100k. Dealing with small kids is not an easy job either. Motherhood is a yummy thing for sure. You are raising your children without help and you choose to stay with them at home for every moment of their life that's another good thing. This is a matter of choice.
    Independence is a broad thing definitely. You may not be independent financially but you are strong mentally and can do anything if it will be a necessity in the future.If small jobs are a time pass and a waste , then how many millions of grown ups are wasting their lives? Not every body has a high paying job.
    Honey ,you are doing a good job .You are raising your kids without help.You are watching them grow every moment of their life. You should be proud for your hard work!!!!Don't let anybody put you down.

5 people like this.
  5. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I think you should give a shot at having a career. The world is vast and there are many wonderful jobs out there.

What are the benefits of having a career?

1. You self esteem going way up.
    2. You have people around you all the time and its better to be surrounded by people any day than being on your own. You also make great friends at work.
    3. Earning money is one thing, but at the end of the day, you get a feeling that I did something useful with my day. There is lot of satisfaction surrounding this.
    4. You are on your toes most of the day and hence your brain stays sharp and alert.
    5. Kids feel proud that their mom works and it rubs off on you.

This is the only opportunity for you to get out of your comfort zone and step into areas and challenge yourself. Life should be filled with challenges we chose, rather than the ones we are given. When you pass the challenge you feel you are ready for more.

Learn a musical instrument, hit the gym and become fit or teach someone a new skill. Always challenge yourself.

A job will help towards that. If you don't know what job you like, do anything and everything. It will really bend your brain and will give you the appreciation for life.

Good luck!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    4 people like this.
  6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

It doesnt matter at all what others think which choice is the better one as you answerd your choice already :) you love to be a homemaker.
    I dont know why these women in your life want to make you feel lower or miserable but you shouldnt allow them to do so.
    If they feel good about having a paid job its great for them you choosed to be a mother and wife as full time job and thats great for you. Dont underestimate yourself.

I met women who regret to work long and felt like missed the childhood and many precious moments with their kids, i met women who felt greatest satisfaction in being homemaker, I met women who where jealous of homemakers as they said they couldnt afford to stay at home as they have to contribute financially for the families survival, I met women who said they would go mad if at home with kids all day and miss job desperately, I met women whom gained satisfaction from a job where they could compete with others, and those who hated competitions, I met women who feard less things more then financial dependency and those who where more financial independent due to their hubbies actions then those who technically had a monthly pay check.... What i really miss to meet more often is women who support each others choice of way of life....

You love your life... feel blessed... and keep on being happy.. its as simply as that hugsmiley

12 people like this.
  7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Its great to be a woman and have all these choices, isn't it? Most men don't have that luxury.

OP- Work if you want to- after all it is your life. If your husband and you are fine with your status quo, why should you care what others think? You can never please everyone so might as well please you.

I quit my job after my baby but about 8 months later joined another company. I am not in IT either but I have a great job that offers flexibility and immense sense of satisfaction. My husband totally left the decision to me but I thought my current job offers flexibility and work-life balance that allows be to be with my child.

My other reason for going back to work is once kids are a little older, there is not as much at home to do and I did not just want to sit at home. I would have got depressed. Plus I have expensive habits and I did not want to put everything on my husband :)

But those were my reasons and it had no impact on what others would think. You should think of reason that work best for you. That is the only way you can be happy.

6 people like this.
  8. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hi do what u feel is right for you just coz others say you need not change.
    My case. My inlaws don't want me to work. They have huge debt and hubby is repaying it. I feel bad for our condition. My co sister house was burgled and they lost all gold and they are expecting my hubby to pay. Strange.

I want to work for our benefit but right now have an infant. Will join soon. To work.

1 person likes this.
  9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

The people that are judging you now will keep judging you whatever you do. When I didnt work, my FIL kept talking about how fast my SIL was able to find a job. When I worked, he compared our salaries and benefits. If I earn as much as she did, he would compare us on some other stuff. Do what works best for you and your family. Dont give these people a ****.

2 people like this.
  10. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Imagine a situation where you have swapped your positions. ie., your cousin being a home maker and you being a working woman, Even then your aunt and cousin would bother you .

They would just put in all the pros of being a housewife and would point of cons of being a working women.

Since you are already passionate about being a home maker, just IGNORE their comments. This for your peace!

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers
    Sweetlife