Lack of clarity about the jobs to take up

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by abc00, Jun 16, 2014.

1. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

I have started working part time after a career gap of ten years. I worked part time for part of the year and was very enthusiastic about my first job in USA. Things worked out well both on home front and work and I could earn a decent amount with job satisfaction and achieve work-life balance :)

The first job ended and I decided to take a leap and get into a full time job. I was mentally prepared to leave my kids in daycare and willing to spend for the same but the irony is I did not get a full time job as I wanted but instead I got a part time job again for part of the year. I had to re-tune my mind and accept what I got instead of waiting for full time opportunity....but Im not sure if im doing the right thing. I will be occupied for four months with the part time job but it is not related to my field .

My concerns :

1) Should i take up the part time job ( it pays me hourly)- with this job I can spend time with my kids and focus on family - not very stressful - but this field I have never ventured -

or

2) Give up this PT job and wait till I achieve my goal of full time job- but again it means i have to spend money on getting trained (certification) - no guarantee when I will be placed -

3) Also with part time job I feel happy when I start and get busy but when it ends and Im idle I feel uncomfortable when people ask about it.

Im not able to analyse myself about the situation. I feel I lack clarity. Also Im feeling guilty that if I choose second option (meaning giving up the first option) will it mean - lack of clarity or lack of confidence ??

Im the kind who give 100% to any job I take up but I have a little trouble in the beginning to get started.

I just want to feel confident about any decision I make.

Please help. I need an outsider's opinion.

2. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

You should be knowing by now how important experience is in US job market. I would definitely suggest that you continue/take up the part time job, particularly that you are finding work-life balance. Maybe you can keep a look out for better job option while being in the current job. A bird in hand is worth two in bush.
    Wshes

1 person likes this.
  3. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Continue with whatever you are doing. Working always looks better on a resume as opposed to huge gaps that you will have to constantly explain at every interview. Showing you are keeping yourself busy and acquiring some skills looks good. If you can put a spin on how the current skills will help with your next major jump - even better. The job tasks may be unrelated but there will always be something you can transfer over. Start thinking about what and don't think or sound as if it is unrelated.

1 person likes this.
  4. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

I completely agree with Nitha and Aamrapalli.

You mentioned

"Also with part time job I feel happy when I start and get busy but when it ends and Im idle I feel uncomfortable when people ask about it."

Please do what is meaningful and important to you in terms of your life and career. There no need to be uncomfortable when people ask. When you come from your true authentic self, nothing matters.

You may have several suggestions. Ponder over them, so what is best for you, your family and career. Let your decision be the product of your own conclusion.

Personally, being part time and being available for your kids feels so great!

Wish you all the best!

2 people like this.
  5. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thank you ladies who responded. I cannot get over the feeling of letting the opportunity out of my hand for something which I do not know will happen or not. I guess I needed to think loud and you ladies made me hear loud.

6. larapowell

larapowell Bronze IL'ite

Do a job that gives you professional satisfaction. I know that it sounds really easy to say utter these two words - 'professional satisfaction.' But that is the essence of being happy while working. Also personal safety is something that you must keep in mind while accepting a job. If the job requires late night work hours then the company better make sure that your personal safety is not compromised.