Venting out ..Maid’s behavior

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by kalpanareddy, Jun 11, 2014.

1. kalpanareddy

kalpanareddy Bronze IL'ite

Dear all,
    We have a maid joined 6 months back ..she is a wife of our building watchman too.
    I’m a working mom and my mom take care of my daughter.
    Maid do’s mopping(not sweeping), washing bowls and clothes of 3 adults and my daughter. I pay 1000/- for these things.
    For 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 4 months she does her job well with no complaints. Lat month she is absent for 5 days and this month she continuously took 10 days leave. Me and my mom managed things. As my work is hectic I cant manage work and household chores. So I asked her if you are taking these many leaves why don’t you put another maid and go and I will pay her money for other maid. She is raising voice like I don’t know another maid and I will go like this only and I wont put other maid if you want you can put other maid when she is not available(who had time time to sit in ground floor and check who other maid is coming) She says This time also I returned back as I have personal works my kids has to go to school and I come to do your works. How arrogant she is. My mom used to give her food, clothes and what not and my mom will wash her and my sarees which are new or expensive. So I told her then you and ur husband should be ready for vacating the house we are saying from starting that we need a maid from watchman family only as they wont take much leaves and if they goes some where they keep a backup watchman and all. She says ok we are ready to go at anytime yours decision is only pending. I was like grrrr…
    Why they don’t have any gratitude…I know everyone has their personal life bt I just asked for a backup as my mom will be stressed out by the time I go to home my mom will finish all the work LOVE U MA…she doesn't allow me to do work and she sees I’m stressing out in office…but I know how stressful To handle my daughter and work…

Did u do anything wrong..what should I do ..

2. kalpanareddy

contd..
    and today I was not at all feeling like working.. all the time thinking about that lady and argument may be my Ego got hurt...I know I'm wasting my precious time thinking about that stupid lady... actually I'm preparing my for an exam for my career growth everyday is important to me as only 1 month left for the exam ..how to overcome this..
    Please help...

3. Anjelin

Anjelin Gold IL'ite

Getting a good maid nowadays is a divine blessing!!

Even me struggling with maids.
    Had the same issue, maid taking leave and talking rude. Hired another maid and strictly mentioned it in the beginning no leaves on weekdays and if taken I will reduce salary.
    This is going smooth for a while.
    In the meantime, the old maid has changed her tone, and now keeps on asking if i hav vacancy.

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

She works for you.You pay her.Where is the question of gratitude?
    Did she give you a reason for staying away...any family emergencies?They are also working women....most of them do work 7 days a week .We fail to realize how big a role they play in making our lives comfortable. A bit of appreciation goes a long way.

Try to make arrangements for emergencies.Buy a washing machine.It makes life so much easier and gives one so much independence.These days there are extremely user friendly mops in the market.They are easy and fast to use. You can get one for such emergencies.

When the maid doesn't come...plan on having one pot dishes like pulao ,biryani or khichdi .You can also keep some ready to eat meals for such emergencies since your mom takes care of the child too.

4 people like this.
  5. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Worry worries you your health your exams and your family too. So stop these. Poor lady only after throwing her out she would realize your value. So don't take it to your heart and mind. Inform your friends or neighbors near by to look for a couple to discharge the duties. Why arguing with her wasting time, to anybody you are going to pay. So if can advertise in online too so people would call up. Give your moms number so that she speaks the terms clearly as she is the one who is fully at home.

So don't worry, there are so many people to serve if she goes not a great deal its pure loss for her. So post today find a person and appoint.

6. kalpanareddy

Thanks for your reply god2014...

7. kalpanareddy

Yes I agree she is also a working lady like me...I never heard a company which will be like this much flexible just paying on the days which we work..they will kick us out..I said gratitude because how my mom looked after her a new saree in 2 months, some of my and my daughter clothes my husbands tshirts....yes I'm planning to buy washing machine today itself..but washing bowls mopping 2bhk flats for 10 days how we will manage and i cant give ready to serve food for daughter for 10 days she is just 3yrs old..she is dare enough to say yes I will take leaves like this only...
    any how thanks for your time for replying...

8. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Maids are human beings they have problems too try giving your maid a weekly off so that she can do her personal work then.
    Also you will know in advance when she will not come so you can prepare accordingly.
    Over pay her to keep her happy and so that there is no extra burden on you or your mom.
    Never raise your voice on her. She will never take leave without telling you. Its just their way of getting back at you.
    Why should there be gratitude in getting cast-aways ? BTW that was what my maid told me about a neighbor, she said I get better pay elsewhere, there they shout and give me old stuff and expect my gratitude.
    Concentrate on your studies and leave behind these trivial worries.

3 people like this.
  9. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Exact my sisters words ... and still she has to hire a new maid every 6 months. Me I have the same maid since so many years and she never takes leave without telling me and does extra work as she has been working in my home for many years.

1 person likes this.
  10. happyindian

happyindian New IL'ite

Hey don't worry..I remember a saying, it goes like this..when u worry, just think for a second about the problem w.r.t. how the problem will impact your life after 5 years..i guess u will not even remember this issue after 5 years :) so why to worry now for the same..ur studies/career if affected now, obviously impacts ur life in 5 yrs..so, just leave the maid issue..if she doesn't have gratitude she is the one who is going to lose and not u...don't get hurt for these things, just dust it off and keep a new maid telling all the conditions..

1 person likes this.