Feeling depressed about my situation

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by abhigail, Jun 10, 2014.

1. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Friends, I am login in after a very long time almost more then 1 month. Just wanted to went out here as I have no one to listen to me ( just listen).
    I know hearing my concerns many of you'll will say this is a very small issue and I am overreacting. But I wanted to talk to someone about it and I have no one close right now who will understand me.Let me stop the explaining
    For past couple of months, life is treating me rather harshly. I have had to travel manytimes to my sil'S HOUSEWARMING fucntion, my in-laws demand to come and visit them and in that bargain took lots of leave. My DS who is only 2.5 yrs fell ill after travelling so much, then soon the following week I had a miscarriage ( this was a total shock as we had not planned anything and it was an accident). Had to take 2 weeks leave. And now back to work, i was shocked to see that one of my juniors got a promotion and I didnot which is pending for past 2.5 yrs.
    I had worked very very hard before and during my pregnancy and was suppose to get my promotion and then I went on maternity leave and my DS was born. My manager forgot to recomment and push my name for promotion and when I was back from ML she said "I Forgot" and the cycle was over. After that I went slow on work as I had to manage home/ my DS and took up limited work and it is still continuing the same. I missed my big chance becoz my manager "FORGOT"
    Today I was very very upset and started crying at home, my DH consoled me saying that it doesnot matter as u have give priority to ur DS and family over work, so just ignore this and continue ur work.
    I am really depressed and don't know how to cheer up.I am thinking should I feel fine with situation or feel like a loser.
    Sorry for the long post but just wanted to share my situation with ur lovely ladies.

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I don't think you are over reacting at all...anyone in your place will be upset if they have not got the results of hard work...This is actually a very common problem faced by many ladies known to me...Also ,you should be bold & strong from now on...If anyone forces you to attend functions/travel unnecessarily tell them that such travels do not suit yours and your child's health...Frequently complain about your problems and sadly tell them how you would love to travel but unable to do so becz of health constraint...and concentrate more on your work...That itself will solve half of your problems.....After sometime I'm sure you'll get the rewards for your efforts...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

I know how disappointing it can be when your work is not recognized. I totally understand how frustrating it can be if your junior has got a promotion instead of you!! Your manager's excuse sounds too lame, try to have a detailed talk with her about it. Carry hard copies of appreciation mails, any milestone you achieved, work completed early, etc. (depending on your field of work). Basically anything that you can show for your hard work, and to say that you deserve a promotion. If she does not give you a reasonable reply, escalate it, take it to the next managerial level. I don't believe this is something that you should 'not worry about', because you work hard at home, and office, recognition at your workplace is an important motivator. I would also suggest you send out feelers to your network, look out for other opportunities, talk around, see what you can do. Changing jobs at this time may not be a great idea, but all I am saying is keep your options open, if something good comes up (better designation, better pay), you can make the switch.

1 person likes this.
  4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

You said your manager 'forgot'. I don't think so. She is trying to escape. Ask her about it. Tell what happened to your in laws too. You worked hard and you deserve promotion. You are not over reacting , that's for sure.

1 person likes this.
  5. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Happy morning friend, very well I could understand the pain in you. Forgotten is the stupidest reason your boss gave. Just ignore her or him. Never get disappointed. Is it a lunch box or wallet to tell I forgot and kept it at home. Just ignore and stop worrying. Worry worries you your health and the people around. Surely you will be rewarded for your work. Do one extra ordinary thing to prove you your forgotten boss that you are no ordinary person to be forgotten. After achieving your feet in the present job then move on if you are poured with offers OK. Get rewarded then bid adieu to the forgotten boss.

Now be happy, worry never, carry a smile always.

1 person likes this.
  6. rathiprasad

rathiprasad Silver IL'ite

Your boss did not forget but found that you had too many commitments on your hands, which happens when there is a family-work balance inequation. But don’t ever override your boss by escalating it to higher management because at the end of the day she is your boss. Higher management will prefer to listen to her than you.

Your hubby is correct in advising you to bring about a more balanced perspective into your life by giving your family life especially your DS the attention he deserves.

1 person likes this.
  7. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Thanks all for the soothing suggestions. Rightly said it was the stupidest excuse to say that she forgot about my promotion. But its past 2 yrs now and as I m tied up to too many family obligations, I have myself forgotten to give my 100%. I gave more then 100% when i was preg for the full 9 months as there was not a single soul in the team and that is all forgotten. But its ok I feel now. I have a little flexibility now in the company to manage my son, home and work. I have given least priority to work after that incident. Maybe another few yrs till my DS starts going to school and then I will go full swing again.
    Today little bit down as I had to put my DS to daycare. our nanny is not anymore interested in babysitting and I couldnot trust anyone else to take care of him at home. So he has gone to his playhome where they have a daycare as well. Hope god gives me strength to send him for the whole day out of his house.