Career getting screwed - Help required urgently !!!!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Sinant, May 23, 2014.

1. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

I need your help in rescuing a friend of mine. She is caught up in a big time trouble at her workplace. She is overall 6+ years experienced across varied technologies. The situation is like this :

1. She was working on production support in her first company for 3 years, all well there. She changed to 2nd company. She was hired for a much lower profile of helpdesk - L1 support. They did not mention it during interviews and all, they assured to give her desired profile and she got to know only after she joined in new company. Anyhow, she took it up, and she was doing her correspondence MBA. She finished that and was gradually moved to Business Analyst profile and have proved herself there and got many appreciations.

2. Now, the unit told her that, they cant continue the BA profile for her since they were not going to get new projects. They kept her on bench for quite some time. Then she took up some other ERP course and did certifications in this time duration.

3. When she told them about her certification, they said, that profile comes in a different unit. Anyhow they gave her interview chance in that team and she was evaluated and selected. But, after being selected also, they were not willing to give unit transfer - dont know what all talks happened in unit level - VPs and all were involved.

4. My friend started searching jobs outside, but her company has 3 months mandatory notice period-no buy out option. Since it was getting difficult to get interview calls because of 3 months mandatory notice period, she took a bold step to resign from her current organization.

5. Now, when she put down her papers, she was offered the desired profile in different unit and asked her to take back her resignation. She is told that 6 months she will be observed and if she is not upto the mark, she will have to quit. But, when she joined there, she got to know that she is expected to work in architect level in this new profile. she being a beginner in the new profile, she is not able to handle the situation. Moreover, there is no mentor assigned to her and no help provided in the new team. Her own team member is saying to the manager that without knowing basics, she cant start working in architect level. And the basic level work, L1 & L2 is outsourced and she cant be a part of that team. So, she feels that, by the end of 6 months, if she is evaluated and found not upto the mark, he career will be screwed.

6. Now she has one offer in hand which has joining date of July 1. Now, should she go and tell that she is not comfortable and ask for release ? Is she asks for release, should she again serve 3 months notice ? If so, this offer which is for July 1 joining will be lost. She had resigned in march end, so effectively June end will be her last day. But, in between she took back her resignation.

Its just been 1 week in team, so she wants to go and talk to this new manager and tell him - "if there is no role suitable for me, am ready to get relieved, i don't want to give false commitments, so coming and telling u in early stages only" - is it right to tell on her part ? How to approach her current manager and previous manager ?
    Because, he previous manager had big time discussions with this unit to take her in their team when she had put down. In a way, he favored her.

How to come out of this mess ??

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: May 23, 2014

2. crazywriter

crazywriter Platinum IL'ite

I think she should take up the other company's offer. Her company has proved time and again that they don't care for her career growth or progress in the organization. Sticking around will only affect her growth in the corporate ladder, and her earning capability. Tell her to put her papers immediately, and if they release her by July, well and good. She can always talk to the other company, and get a few weeks extension. Most companies are understanding that way. They are ready to wait for a reasonable time frame.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

The only worry is that, if she asks for release now, they may ask her to server 3 months notice again. And 3 months is a long time for the other company to wait, its almost impossible to change the joining date from July to Sept.

4. Yatin

Yatin New IL'ite

Short Simple & Actionable Advice
    She MUST quit the current firm even if it means serving the mandatory 3 months period because if she is not able to perform in her current role, she will be fired anyway. Quitting is far better than getting fired!
    She can try requesting her current firm for waiver of 3 months period (in view of her earlier resignation) and also the other firm for extension of joining time. Who knows it may work. If you don't ask, you don't get - as simple as that.
    If the current firm offers change of role AFTER submission of the resignation, DON'T take it. Just quit and try finding something else. Employees submitting / taking back resignations are not respected very much and eventually get the boot.
    Go do it - aache din aa gaye!

2 people like this.
  5. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Please help !! My friend has very less time with her to decide.

6. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Also, my friend asked in the other company to extend the joining date to Sept - but they did not agree. So, now she has to convince her ex-manager here saying that she is a misfit in the current project and to get released considering her resignation applied in March.

7. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

105 views and no replies :(
    Please help friends, she is very much tensed and not in a position to think how to tackle this situation :(

8. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

171 views and no replies :(
    Please help friends, she is very much tensed and not in a position to think how to tackle this situation :(

9. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

According to company policies, serving notice period will be mandatory. But if the project manager gives request to the management, then employee can be released any time.

If the employee gives a request to negotiate the notice period then ==> The HR department/Concerned HR Rep will discusses with the project manager to check the feasibility of the requested release date, they’ll check what the dependency of the employee on the project. Is there any important pending work, Can they get a replacement for this employee within the requested time, KT ...etc ... after analyzing all this project manager will approve the release date, then HR will approve for the release date.

In my previous company, notice period was 3 months, I discussed with manager and he agreed to release within 20 days.

If I was in ur friend’s situation, I would go to the current manager & tell him that, I want to resign bcoz of so & so problem, Is it possible to release me before July 1 ???.

In my case, manager was very friendly, I don’t know about ur friend’s case....think twice before proceed further.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the response. The problem here is that - When she put down her papers, her manager worked with the other unit to get her into the desired team. So, she took back her resignation. But now, she has realised that the team is having unrealistic expectation from her. So, if she will put down again, the previous manager will be really pissed and dont knw what action he may take as he had high level meetings to get her into this role.

Last edited: May 23, 2014