Job after a break!!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by swiss, May 15, 2014.

1. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends..

I need some help from all you ladies.. I am looking to start working after a career break of 3 years now. I used to work in a reputed MNC as Java developer and have four years of experience.

I am looking to restart my career in software testing. I have applied to a lot of positions but did not even get a call back or even a telephonic interview.

Please help me to prepare for interviews. Any materials or suggestions to get into Software QA/testing jobs?

Main thing is I have lost my confidence completely. I am so scared of attending interviews and also scared if I will be able to complete the tasks if I land a job.

I am 29 and I have 3 years break now. I am on L2 visa. :( I have a little one at home who fully occupies my time. I know there are a lot of similar threads but it would be great if you would help me. Please I need some support ladies.

Is there someone here in similar situation?

Please help me!!

Thank You

2. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

@ op - don't LOOSE HOPES .. INSTEAD OF SAYING 3 YEARS GAP , FILL IT WITH SOMETHING IN YOUR RESUME AND APPLY FOR JOBS.. MEANWHILE DO PRACTICE YOUR SKILLS.

hOPE AND WISH YOU WILL GET MANY MORE GUIDANCE AND HELP / TIPS.

sorry about the caps..

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hey littl.. Thanks for the quick response.. I am trying to be hopeful. I feel that if I dont get a job now, it will be never.. Do you have any tips on how to fill my 3 year gap in resume..

4. littl

littl Platinum IL'ite

it can be anything.. you can even fill it with something related to baby care .. being a mother to a child you will think of taking care of your kid by staying at home , now the kid is little grown so you can again stick to your career for a better future of your family. think about this once then you will understand and can think about other options as well , that this gap is not a big issue to get job. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. flyhigh

flyhigh Bronze IL'ite

Hi OP,

First of all why do want to change ur field when u have experience as a java dev?? I would suggest you to look for opportunities as a java developer as u have good exp rather than looking for opportunities in software testing; which i assume u dont have much experience . Probably that's the reason for not getting calls.

Even I had 3 years gap,was low in confidence. spoke to my DH and mom who listed my +ve qualities (felt really good), brushed some concepts which gave me enough confidence to take up the interview. Result of my 1st interview that i took after 3 years gap was -ve. 2nd interview, though i did well i did not get placed for that company. but for the 3rd company, i was even more confident with my answers, performed well and i got placed. So, its not very difficult, it will just take some time.

Few Tips:

1. when i did not get calls after uploading my resume, i changed the resume format, wordings etc. try changing urs as well and upload it again.
    2.Be confident about yourself, brush up some concepts, go through blogs..this will bring in some confidence in you to face/answer the questions...
    3. Be prepared to get calls any moment.

Im sure you will get back to work with a BANG!!! All the very Best :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Anjelin

Anjelin Gold IL'ite

Try uploading your resume in all portal sites. Brush up your concepts. For java try to do some hands on so that you get confidence. I didnt get one thing, you said you worked as JAVA developer and are applying for Software testing why not as JAVA programmer? Did you complete any course or certification in software testing?

1 person likes this.
  7. snadella

snadella Bronze IL'ite

Dear Op,

You have experience in java and now u want to change to software testing. I would suggest you to get trained on selenium automation or try any other automation tool... as u r from development back ground u can understand them quickly and u can practice at home...

Now a days a lot of demand for testers who has development knowledge... It's good change into automation side...

Last edited: May 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Start by going for a courise and write it in your cv... apply in all portals too

1 person likes this.
  9. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Thank You for your response and sharing your positive story. I will surely change resume format and upload.
    I was looking to change to testing field because I am no longer confident in Java development after the long break. I have lost touch. I dont want to bring work home or have a high stess career since I have a toddler and want to be there for her when I come back. I want a change in my career path..
    Your reply has really helped me and I hope that I can get back to work.. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. swiss

swiss Gold IL'ite

Hi Thank you for replying.. I worked as Java developer but I am really low on confidence after the break.. Also the projects I worked earlier was not hardcore development. Mostly worked on enhancements etc. So I am scared about starting a Java career. Thought testing might be easier and give me more work life balance..

Do you have any suggestions for courses to do in testing???