My journey of working life - 38 years

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by iyerviji, Mar 5, 2014.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

To awaken each morning with a smile brightening my face; to greet the day with reverence for the opportunities it contains; to approach my work with a clean mind; to hold ever before me, even in the doing of little things, the ultimate purpose toward which I am working; to meet men and women with laughter on my lips and love in my heart; to be gentle, kind, and courteous through all the hours; to approach the night with weariness that ever woos sleep and the joy that comes from work well done - this is how I desire to waste wisely my days.
    Thomas Dekker

This is the story of my working life which I miss now. But sweet memories of those days are always there, about the bosses I had, the friends I had, the experiences I gained, though I had struggled at times but at the end I achieved a good name and satisfaction that my working life was a good one.

I started my working life as a Teacher after I finished my X std. But I did not like the job of a Teacher. I just worked for 2 months with great difficulty but the children used to like me very much. When I resigned Mother Superior told me you should stick to one job and not change jobs. Then later I got a job as a Typist in a Company . I was not so courageous person that time. In that Company we were only four of us. We were all in one room only. Our Manager, one Accountant, Steno and myself a Typist. Since it was my first job I was very nervous. Our Manager used to sit in front of me only , so I used to be more nervous. Even to have my tea I used to feel odd. Steno was very good and he used to help me in everything and I could do my job very well. I worked there for two years and since we were going to Mumbai I had to leave the job. Our Manager recommended me to a Company in Mumbai and next day after we landed in Mumbai I got the job. But it was a Multi National Company and there were many people there. Ladies were mostly all Christians and I was the only South Indian lady. Those ladies first thing after coming to Office will go to the Wash room and freshen themselves with lipstick etc. I was the only one without lipstick.

We were working in fort area that time. Everyday in the evening before going home we used to have some snacks on the roadside like Bhel puri, Batata vada etc.Once in awhile we used to go to a Restuarant where we used to have thali.
    Also there was a place where we used to get yummy Bhel puri and we always used to order and have. Once we had gone for picnic and everyone wore ordinary dresses and I wore a pure silk saree, now if I think of it I feel so funny. since it was the first tiem I was going for picnic with office friends I did not know what to wear.

In the beginning there were only ladies who were Stenos but later many ladies joined in all departments. While working only I joined Stenography class and from office after 6 pm I used to learn Stenography and some how learnt it but could not give exam. I used to take dictation from my boss sometimes. Seeing my hard work and dedication tot he work I got promotion as Steno though I was not so well versed to stenography. I was working in Accounts Department from the beginning so had to sit late sometimes. But someone or other was there to drop me home.Once we were in office till 10 pm. or so and our Top boss gave us lift , me and another colleague as we both were staying in the same place upto his house and from there we took a cab. So whenever I had to sit late that boss used to say your friend is there to drop you home. But I had to shift to anothe rhouse and once when I was asked to sit late I was hesitating and when boss said your friend is there I told him now I am not in the same place. We never felt that it was a company but it was like a family. We used to celebrate everyone's birthdays and I was given the job of buying greeting cards . We used to have family picnics where everything was arranged by the office and from the time we entered the picnic spot till we reach home there used to be games and prizes. So the children used to enjoy a lot. I was so surprised when I got a promotion as a Senior Assistant and was given the job of Bank Reconciliation of the whole Company. When the Computers came in the beginning it was difficult to do BanK REconciliation , the accounts never used to tally and all my colleauges in Accounts department helped me in bringing it in order. Thanks to them. but our Director had full confidence in me that I will do my job well. Glad that I could fulfill her expectation. I had so many bosses in 36 years , all were gems , they were all happy with my work but only complaint was I used to take lot of leave because I was married to a big family and so many functions used to be there and being the eldest daughter in law I had to be there for allfunctions. During the children's exams I used to go late to office. It was difficult managing working life and home but because of the support of my husband I could manage well.

Also I had the opportunity to go to Nasik and Lonawala for a seminar , where the officers had some projects and we also had games with prizes. We were booked in a Five star hotel which we enjoyed. Actually when we went to Nasik I had just joined after second time operation of my hip bone fracture, but stillI went with stick in hand because I did not want to miss this great opportunity

My working life story will run to pages , I have shared only some part of it. But I am happy that I could do my job well and happy that from a Typist I reached the level of Senior Assistant. Since the Company was taken over by another Company we the staff were given VRS. But I did not lose anything because I had only one and half years to retire.

16 people like this.

2. iyerviji

So sad 49 views but no fb. Noone liked my journey of working life I think or all are busy

3. muthuswathi

muthuswathi Silver IL'ite

Hi Viji Madam,

I went through your write up on journey of working life.
    Nice, interesting and many learning points.
    And good thing is that. you had good bosses all along.
    Pl keep sharing.

Regards,
    muthuswathi

1 person likes this.
  4. iyerviji

Swathi dear glad to get your first fb whichmade my day as I was disappointed that there was no fb so far. Glad you liked my post and found it interesting. Ya dear I had many bosses who were all good . Thanks for visiting my thread

1 person likes this.
  5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viji ma,

It's really great. These days we have many facilities for working women. You managed to work those days, means really great. I can really imagine how much support you would have gotten from your husband. You are one lucky hard working person.
    Great post and very inspiring.

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

Priya dear welcome to my thread , though facilities were less compared to now I enjoyed working and our Office was like a family and glad and blessed that I got good support from my husband. Thanks for your compliments and glad you liked the post.

7. Vemala

Vemala Gold IL'ite

Mam , Nice write up. Working for 38 yrs is great job. Currently, all IT job's life span is average of 14 yrs. IT companies doesn't want more experience people because they want more salary with less work. They need more handson than managerial jobs. 15 yrs, 50% of the IT crowd will find the secondary jobs.

In those 15 yrs, we fight for money, positions ,onsite by ignoring families and health.

You retire and IT companies will give Pink Slip.

2 people like this.
  8. Angiee

Angiee Silver IL'ite

Good writeup, vijima.. You maintained the work-life balance technique for 38years, which is really hard...? isnt! ..
    you know, only after reading some inspirational post like this in IL, my brain is sensing the importance of a job and now i feel like i should not leave my job at any cost. :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Very inspiring write up Madam . Its really motivating to know that you became a senior manager with humble beginnings. Brings a smile to docile women like me.

1 person likes this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

All those sweet memories... very well put together...

:eek:mg: i had to work 23 more years......................

1 person likes this.