Time Table of a Working Mom

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Shanthi, May 26, 2006.

1. Shanthi

Shanthi Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I live in the US and planning on joining the work force soon. I have a toddler going to preschool. Can some of the friends who are working moms give an idea of their schedule so people like me can get an idea of how working women mangage their time effectively?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. sumok

sumok New IL'ite

Time Table.

Well, that was an interesting question. I also always looked for some magic tips to manage things better, some have learnt the trick of the trade, and for some its a daily struggle, frustration and challenges.
    No one idea works for all. bcoz it all depends on every ones lifestyle and situation. Perfect cooperation from husband is the most imp. the inital few months will surely be a nightmare and u might almost be tempted to quit working, but anyway, thats not a solution and that phase too is a passe. Once you make up the mind, every situation is managable.
    First see what might suit you the best. Are u used to eating fresh cooked food every meal, then u need more planning and sometimes maybe adjustment. Are u early birds or late night savvys, then u can get more done at night. who needs to leave when, who would take care of dropping/picking up ur kid...Its good if you can decide who will leave ealy and who would leave later.....etc

Kitchen is the most challenging. discipline on every person to manage their own thigns and do not clutter is important, or friday evenings get miserable. discipline ur husband to put things in its place, probabaly do some ironing, put his coffee cups in the sink and not under sofas...etc.etc..little thigns matter the most.
    Weekend should be well managed, and that would be the crux of how the following week goes. Cut ur vegetables and decide what to cook on which day. Always have cooked daal, tamarind paste i store. you can also hv boiled potatoes and tomato pulp in store. if you are used to eating chapatis, always hv chapati dough , one of more kind in store, if u are used to idlis, have that dough prepared over the weekend. typically for working days idlis are the best, dosas can be postponed for weekends. depending on if u cook at night or day, u can decide on menus depending on how much time u have....
    Plan ur childs dress in advance, what to pack for the day, you can keep showers for night time if its a time consumer in the morning. Concentrate on good brush and breakfast as schools dont force eating. If ur child is basically a good eater, good, else ur frustrations will mount..........

hope these few help.......maybe I wrote a lot, but just that I learnt these few over phases of struggle ................
    All the best as you step into ur new life.

Suma

3. krisbina

krisbina New IL'ite

Disciplining Family

Disciplining children may be an easier task compared to husbands. I have not managed to discipline my hubby in helping me with my house work. Initially when I make the rules, he will be doing it for a day or two but ignores it as time goes on. Probably I should be pushy or remind him at every step to make him complete his own task. But I have my share of things to be done too. Nagging would only worsen the matter. So what I do is I complete his uncompleted task. This should not be done at all but being kind as I am I always think so what if I do it anyway. This may be taken for granted but so far I have not come up with a good solution on making my hubby to help me in the house. Ladies if you have any ideas please share with me.

Please read my blog and leave comments too. You are welcome to visit my vege food blog at www.kitaveg.com and my personal site www.krisbina.com. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  4. jayachitra

jayachitra New IL'ite

Disciplining hubby

Hi Krisbina
    I read with interest your patience in getting your husband to help you out at home. Fortunately for me my husband does all that is required at home. He does the laundry and cleaning and just about anything that I ask. However there are certain things like putting things back where they belong and what towel should be used for what. As trivial as it may seem it is these little things that can annoy you. I normally leave them as they are and keep repeating (or nagging as some prefer to call it :-D ) until he gets it rite. Worse case scenario is the silent treatment. That always works - at least for me.

Good Luck
    Jaya

5. Pree

Pree New IL'ite

I think the first step is to prepare yourself mentally that your time has to be divided between two equally important but diametrically opposite sides.

When you were at home you had the liberty of time hanging in your hands - you can be the epitome of organization one day and a coutch potato the next day. And by the time anyone comes for a visit spruce up the whole house like you just moved in..

All that is gone now. Time is always a scarce commodity and seems to fly away, with weekends too falling into a planned pattern..sounds too tiring??but the reality is we will be better off when we have things atleast slightly planned. So what if you decided on Roties and just realised that the grocery shopping is still pending? Time to pull your gloves and make a meal out of that bread.

thats it - half the battle is won when you realise that you are not super woman. if it looks like the house is messy;leave it. there is a more pressing matter of attending to your kid or taking care of your self.

And if today is a good day all that you planned will happen in that order else, always rent a movie and settle down for some pampering!!!!

These are the perks of being independent!!!

Pree:clap